My Stormtrooper 100 series adventures and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

donuteater

Threads
It is finally time to start another build thread. A large part of my mind didn't want to ever start a new build thread again because after I upgraded from the 3rd gen 4runner to my 2008 FJ Cruiser I thought it was going to be the last car I ever wanted to own and mod. I would preach the FJ would get a new drivetrain before I ever sold it. Here we are today and with another build I start. The 100 has been a fun start and refreshing to remember what a stock vehicle feels like but it was all forced.
I started my off road and exploring life in a Ford Ranger. For my Orange County CA counterparts Holy Jim Canyon was my backyard and everyday after school I was either charging up the canyon or attempting to summit Saddleback Mountain. My Ranger had a bad day with a teenager behind the wheel but it saved my ass so I can't complain.

Moving on from the Ranger, I knew that I wanted something 4 wheel drive because I had been bitten hard by the exploring and camping bug. I was able to talk mom into giving up her 1997 4runner which everyday I wish I still had today. That truck really has a special place in my memory about learning how to drive off road and pushing the limits of a mostly stock truck. I didn't have extra funds to do many mods but I tried my best.

The 4 runner did great and I should have kept it. Once I got myself a big boy job I jumped into a 2008 FJ Cruiser, mostly following in the footsteps of Dad who had FJ Cruiser also. Like any good son I got a slightly nicer one than he had just to make sure I had the advantage. It was late 2009 and Toyota of Escondido had an Ivan "Ironman" Stewart FJ Cruiser sitting on the showroom floor for a bit to long and they were ready to make a move. I got a great deal and was happy with the purchase.

It quickly took a trip to Demello Offroad and was transformed to the Blacktank.

The mod list quickly grew with Icon stage 6 suspension, DO skids sliders and front bumper, ARB roof rack, Trailworx rear swing out bumper just to highlight a few.

Unfortunately... a distracted semi truck driver on the 5 frwy at 8 in the morning decided to take his truck across all lanes of traffic traveling at approximately 80 mph. This was the result

The damage may not look that substantial in the photos but my pregnant wife was sitting in the passengers seat at the time of the collision. The three other vehicles were damaged beyond recognizing they were even vehicles and I don't feel comfortable posting them. The fully loaded trailer impacted the side of my vehicle at full swing and pined us against the jersey wall. The frame reinforcements and Demello Offroad front bumper saves us. We usually throw piles of armor on the trucks for off-roading mishaps but it can have some serious advantages on road as well.

Now that brings us to todays adventure. With a growing family and a mini horse breed known as a great dane, I upgraded in space to a 100 series. I went back and forth between an 80 and 100 knowing a 200 was no where near my price range but jumped on a great 100 series.

1999 with rear locking diff and original owner. It has been a CA car for its whole life and was daily driven by a doctor back and forth to work everyday. It had 180,XXX miles and not one of them was off-road. It had Mobil 1 since day one and he had every service receipt done at the local dealership. I spoke with the service manager and was threaten with if I didn't buy the LC that day he would.

As it is today

Much more to come but this is a start. Not knowing much about the Land Cruiser market I have been taking my time doing research and investigating the right products for this build. The FJ cruiser was all about speed in the sand and fun on the trails. I have switched gears to long range trips and really getting far out in the bush.

So now for some of the fun stuff. Like all my vehicles the first thing I did was tint all the windows and strip off the running boards.

I have suspension sitting in my garage but haven't found the time to put it on yet. I looked into everything available and my first thought was to stick with Icon but thought I will give a different approach this time. I decided to see how the Tough Dog suspension does. I worked with @reevesci on the specifics and was very happy with the customer service Jason offers. The setup I pulled the trigger on was:

Tough Dog HD torsion bars with strengthening brackets

TD 53mm front foam cell shocks

TD 45mm 9 stage adjustable rear foam cell shock (extended length)

TD 75mm Tourflex tapered dual rate coils

Trail Tailor diff drop and extended front and rear sway bar links

Nitro UCA’s

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 295/75R16

I will give a full review on the step up at different mileage marks once I get everything dialed in.

A few other small things I have done so far are @pfran42 LED full kit-dome and door lights and @reevesci Trail Tailor Tailgate Storage lid

Lots and lots of patches.

I forgot to mention I am so crazy to get this build in the works so I can get out and exploring, I sold my Harley to finance much of the future project.

The FJ was awesome. I'm glad it saved you, your wife, and child's life. I looked at FJ's before I bought my 2000 LC. I liked them but the LC won. Man... sold the Harley... that's hard core.

Right on. I like the backstory. And yes, armor comes in handy in a number of ways.... Glad it saved the day.

great story and looking forward to your build thread.

Hey buddddy, its Sang, good to see ya on here!!!

@470SNC Whats up my man!!!! Joined the big boy club

Sweet, I see you got started quick! Picking up my new TJM bumper today and front LED bar, White Knuckle sliders and Bora wheel spacers on the way. You should make it out to Pismo this year!

sweet build i also decided to go with the TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom