82 Fj won't turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ40 won't turn off. I disconnected the ignition harness and nada. Still running smoothly. Any ideas? Was thinking of disconnecting the fuel/ignition relay but don't know where its located.

Are we talking BJ, HJ or FJ? I'm guessing its a diesel. There should be a lever on the pump, not the throttle lever. Turn it to shut the fuel off. Its the only way you can shut down an old school diesel.

Does it look anything like this? That arm on the top controls the fuel for the Start, Run or Off positions

Was a rototiller when I was 9. i held onto the kill switch when I turned it off. It was very uncomfortable. Sorry I thought this was a gas engine as he said fj.

My FJ40 won't turn off. I disconnected the ignition harness and nada. Still running smoothly. Any ideas? Was thinking of disconnecting the fuel/ignition relay but don't know where its located.

hi cabrito , like said move the lever on the pump to turn off the engine.

but the question is : why your bj wont turn off ? probally an EDIC related problem , maybe if you are lucky a bad ground/contact problem

how a discovered it : i was 22 with my first bj40 (1978) at that time i didn't know nothing about bj....

one day i arrived home and after turning the key the bj was still running.. so i opened the hood and i found the negative terminal of the battery disconnected so i was runnig without electricity and the EDIC wont turn off the engine

No its 13bt (not original). I stopped it by messing with actuater vsv lever as described by oldtoy74. Now not sure if its the Vsv switch also contributing.

Got white exhaust as well and oil leakage, all related?

You should have said what the engine was in your 1st post. Different Toyota diesels have different ways of shutting down. More info gets more info.

Oil leakage from a gasket would be nothing to do with white smoke which usually indicates burning too lean.

What else do you know about the engine, has anyone played with it? Do the screws on the injection pump still have the lead wires attached?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom