Whats it worth? Going to look at a 98' LX470 270k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've found a local 1998 LX470 for sale down the street, all I know is that the son is listing it for his parents and they are currently using it to to drive to work so I have to view it on the weekend when its not in use... which is a good sign... being used as a daily instead of sitting.

Should be a sign that it runs and is reliable...

270k miles, cd player not working

I've also made acquaintances with a local mechanic who works on these and can do a timing belt for $750 parts and labor.

The used market on these are interesting, this is the cheapest one I've found... then there are lots of $10,000 ones with 165,000-250,000 miles

Then there is the $20,000 ones with 85,000-125,000 miles

I'm just thinking... is it possible to purchase one with 270,000 miles, do the timing belt, possibly some other maintenance minus replacing the transmission/motor or anything too crazy expensive and save the $10,000

I just need it to run, not worried about anything other than it functioning properly and a/c working....and not leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

If I feel comfortable with its reliability I would take it on 1.5-5 hour road trips up the coast and go camping etc. light off roading when necessary.

I already have a reliable daily.

Just thinking out loud here

Would you do it?

Whats it worth in your eyes if it doesn't have rust and no other glaring issues?

Worst case scenario I can turn around and sell it in 6-12 months if the engine fails or transmission etc.

I could still get a few thousand for it?

I suppose the question is.... are the $10,000 ones that have 165,000-250,000 miles worth the extra $5,000

I test drove a 2001 which was cool, suspension worked, a/c worked, drove nice, just a little loose feeling... when I pushed on the tailgate to test the shocks it felt like they were very soft and blown but when driving they felt decent but not very "tight" or "firm" ... I know its not a Porsche but don't have another LX470 to compare it to... until tomorrow....

I'll report back with the details tomorrow after I see it and drive it, inspect it

Yes, I've read the FAQ

I've owned 30+ used vehicles and worked on them, so I know about cars and generally have a good eye...

Just looking for some people who have long term experience to chime in with their advice.

I've already heard the moto "buy the lowest mileage and newest you can afford" but I can afford a much better one but I'm a value shopper and I feel like if this older higher mileage one gets the job done for half price then why not! Who's with me?

Rant over

Low mileage LX/LCs are overrated.

I hear ya.

I snagged a 2004 w/240k last year. No regrets. Now at 250.

Payed 10.5k, spent a few K more replacing stuff and new tires. Good to go for a while.

I'd say that rig might be in the 6k-7k range.

I spent a lot of time pondering this question and looking at a number of vehicles I picked a 99LX with 230K miles for $5500 the other week. The vehicle is rust free, clean clean interior and all the electrics work. There were dubious records but the engine wasn't oily or steam cleaned and detailed so I am confident there isn't any major oil leaks but there are a lot of little things that need attention and that is adding up. There is some oil under that I am cleaning off to see if it was spill or leak. The biggest issue is the CV's are leaking and have been for a bit so I will have to get in them to see if they are rebuild able or if they need replacement. My biggest worry is just the time. This is a 20 year old southwest truck and things are getting brittle and dry and need replacement regardless of mileage, the alternator 3 wire plug broke in my hand trying to disconnect it as an example, and a stern look at a few of the wire retainer clips and they turn to dust. I am nervous to dig into the interior I am going to need bags and bags of clips. I have a daily as well so I don't have a rush to get this up on the road so I am doing a through baseline and I can wait and dig stuff before just ordering parts and trying to get it back up and running. All of my exhaustive obsessive compulsive reading/searching/spread sheeting and no one system costs $1000 (but a lot of them are right around that price) if you are doing the work, taking it to a mechanic and labor gets out of my budget.

I decided I wanted a manageable project and enough of a budget to complete it. I think I will be under 10K once this truck is base lined and I replace the ahc and add tires.

Ok, got to inspect the 98' LC with 272,000 miles today.

Body 9/10 - didn't see any dings, dents, all body panels had vin #s, panels lined up, no rust

Paint 8/10 - with a good buff and some touch up paint on some scuffs it would look cherry, was white pearl an option for 1998, looked like with a buff job it would be pearly!

Interior 7/10 - needs to be cleaned, a/c worked, windows worked, mirrors went down electronically when in reverse

Engine 7/10 - felt strong but i could hear some detonation part throttle, could be from low octane gas or just needs a tune up, owner said that he and his wife use the middle grade gas, which is 89 octane here

Transmission - didn't slip, shifted fine, gave a good clunk when engaging into gear, which i've heard to watch out for?

Pros
-body
-paint
-looked good
- drove good minus the firm rear suspension

Cons
- check engine light was on(he said mechanic replaced the 02 sensor but now the light is back on
- unfortunately he replaced the AHC suspension with something else, so the adjustable suspension was alway stuck in "low" and wouldn't adjust because the system was replaced.... not cool, i really like gadgets like adjustable suspension
- Timing Belt is due to be changed about 10,000 miles ago

He was asking $5,600 got him down to $5,000 and offered $4,000 on the spot but he declined.

I would feel comfortable with $4,000 and maybe $4,500 if he fixes the check engine light.... BUT

I might just hold out for one with functioning suspension and about 100,000 less miles if possible

BUT it drove great, looked great and with the windows rolled down and sunroof open was just awesome feeling driving around in the big white old tank!

Awesome cars, hope to pick one up soon!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll be looking into reason for check engine lights to be on with the 100 series.

Sounds like a decent rig. Some would find it a bonus the AHC was ditched with what I assume to be a Land Cruiser suspension conversion. Those gadgets can start to be maintenance money pits.

Sounds like a decent rig. Some would find it a bonus the AHC was ditched with what I assume to be a Land Cruiser suspension conversion. Those gadgets can start to be maintenance money pits.
Yeah, it was an older man who didn't seem to be into off roading, this car is a city car and hasn't seen dirt much if at all.

I noticed the rear was much firmer than the front, must have just replaced the shock in the rear.. he said something about spring replacement?

Ok, got to inspect the 98' LC with 272,000 miles today.

Body 9/10 - didn't see any dings, dents, all body panels had vin #s, panels lined up, no rust

Paint 8/10 - with a good buff and some touch up paint on some scuffs it would look cherry, was white pearl an option for 1998, looked like with a buff job it would be pearly!

Interior 7/10 - needs to be cleaned, a/c worked, windows worked, mirrors went down electronically when in reverse

Engine 7/10 - felt strong but i could hear some detonation part throttle, could be from low octane gas or just needs a tune up, owner said that he and his wife use the middle grade gas, which is 89 octane here

Transmission - didn't slip, shifted fine, gave a good clunk when engaging into gear, which i've heard to watch out for?

Pros
-body
-paint
-looked good
- drove good minus the firm rear suspension

Cons
- check engine light was on(he said mechanic replaced the 02 sensor but now the light is back on
- unfortunately he replaced the AHC suspension with something else, so the adjustable suspension was alway stuck in "low" and wouldn't adjust because the system was replaced.... not cool, i really like gadgets like adjustable suspension
- Timing Belt is due to be changed about 10,000 miles ago

He was asking $5,600 got him down to $5,000 and offered $4,000 on the spot but he declined.

I would feel comfortable with $4,000 and maybe $4,500 if he fixes the check engine light.... BUT

I might just hold out for one with functioning suspension and about 100,000 less miles if possible

BUT it drove great, looked great and with the windows rolled down and sunroof open was just awesome feeling driving around in the big white old tank!

Awesome cars, hope to pick one up soon!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll be looking into reason for check engine lights to be on with the 100 series.

Yeah the AHC is a novelty until you have to spend 1500-2000 to replace it, or hundreds to maintain it... then it becomes nice to have the simpler, more reliable system.

Get over the miles, if you’re really tied up about it, look how inexpensive engines are on car-part.com and rest easy that if for whatever reason (not likely) you could get a 95000 mile engine breathing again for 3k

Yeah the AHC is a novelty until you have to spend 1500-2000 to replace it, or hundreds to maintain it... then it becomes nice to have the simpler, more reliable system.

Get over the miles, if you’re really tied up about it, look how inexpensive engines are on car-part.com and rest easy that if for whatever reason (not likely) you could get a 95000 mile engine breathing again for 3k
Woah! I've never seen that website and it looks like I could get an entire low mileage engine for $800-2,000

Thanks for that! Saved.

you in CA? If I was in your shoes, I would take it and get it smogged. twice. No rust? Rich old man owned? I would buy all day at 5k with the smog fixed. My.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom