7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're really short on time and just passing through the northwest part of NM, stop in at the Aztec Ruins. They aren't ruins of Aztec Indians, just in the town of Aztec. If you're driving up from Albuquerque to Silverton, you pass right through the town of Aztec. The ruins are just a few blocks off the main road with a visitor's center and museum to check out. You can easily see it in a couple hours. The ruins are an ancestral Puebloan site, just like most of the other abandoned ruins sites in the Four Corners area.

I had no idea Canyon of the Ancients existed, despite living in Farmington, NM for 2 years and passing through the Cortez area countless times. Looks like I've got a new place to visit. Ever been to Chaco Canyon? It seems kind of like this place.
Yeah, I would love to go back and spend a week exploring in the spring time! We spent 2 days there and didn't see a single person. We drove through several np but after all the restrictions we and crowds we tried to avoid them. Somthing to keep in mind for anyone traveling with a dog, a lot of np will not allow them.
Arches and canyon lands wouldn't even let us enter.
I know the ease of the np is why most tend to go that route on a trip with limited time but if you do your research ahead of time you can find some pretty cool places not to far from the main path.
Before my first trip I bought a buch of back road guid books for every state I would be going through, I also got books on gost towns, Native American sites and others. These really enhanced our experience! Without them we would have probably stuck with np.

Tons of cool places on the way to and from Silverton. Remember the summer will be hot in the high desert areas, though. I use this time as a way to escape 110 degree days in Phoenix. We are planning a week plus long trip this year on the way to HIH. As we get closer, it would be cool to meetup with some other HIHer's along the way. It's going to be another solid year in the Hills!

Not sure to post here or create a new thread, but what do you guys recommend for CB and A/T Tire (minimum recommendations for HIH7)? My LC is a completely stock 2003 with 130K miles. I'll be going over the entire rig to do preventative maintenance over the next few months.

Not sure to post here or create a new thread, but what do you guys recommend for CB and A/T Tire (minimum recommendations for HIH7)? My LC is a completely stock 2003 with 130K miles. I'll be going over the entire rig to do preventative maintenance over the next few months.

I have a Midland 75-822 with a Firestik antenna and I have been very happy with it. The Midland CB can be used as a hand held or plugged into the antenna. It all comes down to actually tuning the antenna, a great CB with an external antenna doesn't mean much if its not tuned.

Far as AT tire, I have Goodyear DuraTracs that I have been very happy with and worked very well for me last year but to each there own.

The Midland 75-822 is a pretty nice radio. I rarely use CB, but since so many people do I use the 75-822 hooked to a mag mount antenna whenever necessary. When traveling with a group, the CB is a good way to stay connected and have casual conversation. I wouldn't say AT tires are required as long as the tires you have are not a P rated tire, but you will certainly feel better with them.

I bought this kit Uniden Pro 510 XL Car & SUV Package and it worked just fine. Hindsight, I would have preferred the Cobra 75 radio (a little less bulk and more concealed) and a more permanent setup (better antenna, and less wire).

My tires came with the LX and I really didn't have a choice (Cooper ATP's in 285/75/16) but they worked flawlessly. While these are trails and there are some difficult parts, the roads are somewhat maintained.

Also, check out the FAQ's on 100s in the Hills | A 100 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Event

I used this antenna last year: Cobra HG A 1000 Base-Load Small Mount 100W CB Antenna Amazon.com: Cobra HG A 1000 Base-Load Small Mount 100W CB Antenna: Electronics. It has enough included cable to get from the top of the right rear hatch to under the front passenger seat, then you can hook it up to the Midland or Cobra radios mentioned above. I use the Cobra 75, and the combo was fine for the trails last year. Mine is probably the minimum CB capability you would want, and not great for highway distances, but I have a permanent 2M rig installed and wanted something basic since I only use it at this event.

Thanks guys - appreciate all the quick advice on the radio and antenna! I'll be spending some time on Amazon in the near future.

I know tire preference is like oil preference, but it's great to hear from those of you who have done this event before. In addition to which tire, I'd also like to get recommendations on tire size for the oem 18" wheel. 275/65R18 or can I go 285/65/R18 without rubbing on stock suspension?

Thanks guys - appreciate all the quick advice on the radio and antenna! I'll be spending some time on Amazon in the near future.

I know tire preference is like oil preference, but it's great to hear from those of you who have done this event before. In addition to which tire, I'd also like to get recommendations on tire size for the oem 18" wheel. 275/65R18 or can I go 285/65/R18 without rubbing on stock suspension?

275/70 is a common size too and generally costs less than the 285/65, something to consider.

CB: Uniden 510XL, Antenna is a magnetic mount. I don't have anything permanently installed. I also have a handheld ham radio for longer range.
Tires: BF Goodrich All-Terrain. I'm on my third set in 14 years. Very durable. Long lasting. Not so aggressive if you do mostly city/highway driving. If you want to save some money consider the Hankook Dynapro ATM or the Cooper Discoverer AT3 or ATP. I would avoid the Goodyear Duratrac if you regularly use them around sharp rocks. I know many people that have lost a sidewall in NM, CO and UT with their Duratracs.

IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_2839.JPG
IMG_2840.JPG
IMG_2842.JPG
I have a Midland 75-822 with a Firestik antenna and I have been very happy with it. The Midland CB can be used as a hand held or plugged into the antenna. It all comes down to actually tuning the antenna, a great CB with an external antenna doesn't mean much if its not tuned.

Far as AT tire, I have Goodyear DuraTracs that I have been very happy with and worked very well for me last year but to each there own.
@paflytyer and @bluecruiser ...

Just throwing it out for suggestion - what if we coordinated a CB tuning session on wed or thurs night with fellow Mudders who have a SWR meter. I am in the same boat as some here where I just bought a CB and antenna and installed it. Im running a Cobra 75 WX ST with a Firstik Firering coax and Firstik 4' antenna with spring and quick disconnect. Not sure if I'm tuned up correctly or not. I *think* I get +/- 1 mile reception right now. Not sure if tuning will improve that. If we get a couple guys with meters, we could knock out some rigs and improve communication all weekend.

Cost of entry to CB tuning session is your favorite local microbrew 6 pack?? ;) ... plus it's a great way to meet others.

If it doesn't work out - no big deal, just thinking about event enhancement.

Is it July yet???

View attachment 1431470 View attachment 1431471 View attachment 1431472 View attachment 1431473 View attachment 1431474

Just throwing it out for suggestion - what if we coordinated a CB tuning session on wed or thurs night with fellow Mudders who have a SWR meter. I am in the same boat as some here where I just bought a CB and antenna and installed it. Im running a Cobra 75 WX ST with a Firstik Firering coax and Firstik 4' antenna with spring and quick disconnect. Not sure if I'm tuned up correctly or not. I *think* I get +/- 1 mile reception right now. Not sure if tuning will improve that. If we get a couple guys with meters, we could knock out some rigs and improve communication all weekend.

Cost of entry to CB tuning session is your favorite local microbrew 6 pack?? ;) ... plus it's a great way to meet others.

Is it July yet???

I have a similar set up and removed my quick disconnect and got it tuned up more easily without it, knowing that I only use my CB on occasion, you can attach/detach your antenna quickly either twist tight or with your wrench.

@COGerding What antenna mount is that? Looking to install a CB for HIH and since LabRak seems not be building theirs anymore this one looks similar.

Tom
Yes. I was waiting for the LabRak to come back in stock. Never did. This is a custom one-off mount from a local fab shop.

You mention CB setup anywhere on this forum and you will get so many people to chime in. I am going to get the setup here:

Uniden 510 Jeep & Off-Road Kit

Seems pretty idiot proof, so I should be able to,get installed and working correctly! Plus I'm going to add small in cab speaker and of course a PA horn for yelling at people outside!

View attachment 1431470 View attachment 1431471 View attachment 1431472 View attachment 1431473 View attachment 1431474

Is it July yet???

Our preference would be to have your radio as dialed in as best as possible prior to arriving. It seems no matter what event I go to, some folks are just figuring out that their CB is not working for one reason or another, while on the trail. We can't stress enough how important it is to have a working CB. It's a nice safety feature and can add a lot of fun to the trail experience.

Don't get me wrong, if someone has a SWR meter and can bring it to help people out, that's great too.

Our preference would be to have your radio as dialed in as best as possible prior to arriving. It seems no matter what event I go to, some folks are just figuring out that their CB is not working for one reason or another, while on the trail. We can't stress enough how important it is to have a working CB. It's a nice safety feature and can add a lot of fun to the trail experience.

Don't get me wrong, if someone has a SWR meter and can bring it to help people out, that's great too.

I have been told that I missed out on a lot of good conversation while on the trails at HIH3 as my CB wasn't tuned correctly. Plus if you have your CB working correctly before leaving, you get to do a lot of "10-4 good buddy" and other cool trucker stuff!

Contact Jason (@reevesci ) at trailtailor- I think he has an antenna mount, but certainly could Fab you one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom