Rear long travel suspension, overkill? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My AHC is out on my GX470 so it is time to upgrade the suspension. My preferred plan, based off of nothing more than seeing the pictures of the long travel flex on mud and facebook, is to put in a icon or radflo rear long travel with front extended travel from metaltech or SSO.

But is it overkill for AZ?

My intended use is primarily for expanding access to quail hunting areas and CSC runs after I actually join. My stock yukon xl gets me to most of my quail spots, but I have had to turn around when I have come to some steps and things like that. I will add bumpers, underarmor and drawer system/freezer so I will have extra weight. I have an explorer's mindset so I always try to look over the next hill, go down that old trail, etc. But I have been limited because of my vehicle.

If I can justfy that additional cost, is rear long travel beneficial in AZ? Even without long travel in front?

I welcome your input, I am new to this stuff.

As a cruiser and gx owner I'll chime in. The rear long travel is wonderful if you think you are going to use it. I have stock rear springs after rear bag failure and cheap struts. I did log corral with my gx and would have preferred to have sliders. If you're not doing anything that tough I wouldn't spend the $ then again if you have a fresh tax refund burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.

You want practical common sense or "hell yeah, that would be awesome, you'd love it!"

You know what you should do...Lol

In reality, in the past when I wanted to do a particular mod, I would take the practical route but the particular mod would always be on my mind. In the end, I would eventually do the desired mod and kick myself for the time and money spent on the now unusable practical compromise. Just cut the corner, you'll be happy you did

You want practical common sense or "hell yeah, that would be awesome, you'd love it!"

You know what you should do...Lol

In reality, in the past when I wanted to do a particular mod, I would take the practical route but the particular mod would always be on my mind. In the end, I would eventually do the desired mod and kick myself for the time and money spent on the now unusable practical compromise. Just cut the corner, you'll be happy you did

What he said

Phil, I like your three times approach, but unfortunately, I am new enough to this that I wouldn't be able to identify whether lack of long travel would be a cause of me having to turn back or not. That's where learning some stuff on club runs comes in.

My normal approach seems to be in line with Murf. I hate upgrading, I prefer to buy the best I can afford and grow my skills into it. For example, I didn't buy a starter bow with the thought of upgrading when my skills improved, I bought top of the line and practiced until my skills matched the bows capabilities.

I was once in my buddies fj cruiser climbing up from saguaro lake when the rear passenger wheel went into a rut causing the left front to lift up enough for me to be startled and grab for something to hold onto. We were tipping to the dropoff side to make it worse. Would long travel have helped in this situation by dropping into the rut but the suspension offering enough resistance to keep the front drivers side from lifting?

Last edited:
My philosophy is typically more minimalistic. You will be a better driver, better at picking lines, staying within your abilities with less stuff added that you may never need or use. Then add to your truck as you develop the skills to identify what you need to push yourself and your truck further as well as learning what you enjoy.

Or buy a heavily modded Razor and let it rip! :steer:

..or maybe not :meh:

Isaac here from metaltech4x4, the nice thing about our long travel rear set up, is that if you dont need it your will never know its there. but if you do find that you need it, its ready to work anytime you ask it. 99% of the time for most people its not used, and functions just like any other rear coil spring conversion/lift. so its undetectable until you get out on a trail or drive through a ditch on the side of the road. there is no down side to our rear long travel kit other than we are currently back ordered on the springs by about 30 days.

here is a couple photos of a customers rig that is also his daily driver, showing the amount of flex/travel his rig has
15073540_721744964642394_3313990657629294274_n.jpg
16427219_769075196576037_6046088873999798425_n.jpg
16299387_764965980320292_7925300325143012880_n.jpg

Last edited:
Isaac here from metaltech4x4, the nice thing about our long travel rear set up is that if you dont need it your will never know its there, but if you do find that you need it, its read to work anytime you ask it. 99% of the time for most people its not used, and functions just like any other rear coil spring conversion/lift so its undetectable until you get out on a trail or drive through a ditch on the side of the road. there is no down side to our rear long travel kit other than we are currently back ordered on the springs by about 30 days.

here is a couple photos of a customers rig that is also his daily driver, showing the amount of flex/travel his rig hasView attachment 1410896 View attachment 1410897 View attachment 1410898

OK that is BAD @$$. Do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom