FJ80 T-case CDL Viscous Coupling Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
im contemplating using an FZJ80 T-case in a Competition Buggy Build. 2500lbs 170hp Portals & Rear Steer.. ive got a few questions for guys that have 80's or use this case

1- i know the VC Transfer Case is 125lbs.. how much lighter/Shorter is the Non VC Case?
2- how quick is the CDL to Lock and Unlock, (will it ulock if bound up)
3 - Anyone ever Use Cutting brake, or a rear E-brake to Do Front Digs with the CDL Unlocked?

My Theory is that with all 3 Diffs unlocked the rig will be more maneuverable with less bind in the system.. but im curious if the Lack of Digging may be an issue. My idea is to use a Separate Master cyl/Pedal for Front/Rear Brakes so i could stab one side or the other with the CDL Unlocked and do some front/rear digging. But more importantly i could give just a little bit of brake to one side or the other and Overdrive one side at a variable rate maintaining traction.

Or i just Slap a Dana 300 in it and call it good.

Basically you have a short tail vs long tail ( where VC is )

dsc05019-jpg.395686

Transfercase1.jpg

images taked from mud and web

2. About 3 segs

3. No, but you will put a lot of pressure ( heat ) on the VC and it might die ( seize ) = no bueno ..

This sounds really badass! What exactly are you going to make 170hp with? what trans? is there a build thread for this, cause I'm very intrigued

I don't think a VC transfer case is appropriate for this environment. I don't think maneuverability is compromised much with a "locked" or engaged part time t-case with unlocked diffs.

no build thread yet, im still trying to decide all the details.
Subaru EJ251 2.5l Boxer Engine.. Small Light and Low COG.. 904 Transmission, Small and Short.

I don't think a VC transfer case is appropriate for this environment. I don't think maneuverability is compromised much with a "locked" or engaged part time t-case with unlocked diffs.

i agree that the VC is probably not going to hold up to the abuse. but id be interested to see if it could.
Cone dodging is a matter of inches in some cases. if an unlocked Axle can steer tighter due to it not fighting itself, why would it not be true front/rear. im imagining a situation where i can use a cut brake to slow say the Driver Front Tire, and all 3 other tires can rotate at a similar speed to rotate around the locked tire. on the flip side, once one tire has significantly less traction it will break free and all the power will go to it. I think it could be good in dropping down steep stuff, and navigating where there is alot of traction, but not alot of space to turn.

What it mainly gives me is an ability to modulate power front or rear, rather than the On/Off that a traditional Front/Rear Dig will give you, ive seen situations where a front dig with the rear axle is locked up (Cutting Brakes) and its hopping and dragging into an undesired location.. where if its still being driven, but at say 80/20 it may go in the direction i have the tires turned, instead of hopping where it wants

i don't believe anyone has done it before, and maybe for a reason.

If it does not work as im thinking i would have to lock it up most the time, and i would not have the ability to Dig, like in an Atlas or a D300.

You do LSD or lockers in your axles ..?
yes i would put ARB's or some sort of Selectable lockers so i can unlock all 3 if i want.. ideas being i can lock up one tire and the remaining tires will split the power evenly.. not possible in a traditional 4x4 Case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom