Thoughts on Sizes for BFG KO2s on stock wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm confused too. 275/70/18 Mine's suppose to be at 33psi. Actual is closer to 40 psi. I haven't even checked , but it says 35-36 cold then heats up to 38 when rolling. Ride is good. Am I to low? Mine was recommended by discount tire.

I'm confused too. 275/70/18 Mine's suppose to be at 33psi. Actual is closer to 40 psi. I haven't even checked , but it says 35-36 cold then heats up to 38 when rolling. Ride is good. Am I to low? Mine was recommended by discount tire.

What is the load rating and the Max PSI for your tires? My KO2s are E-Rated with a Max PSI of 80.

I had started out with mine at about 55 front and 65 rear as I was pulling a trailer. This was in part due to BFG telling me to run them like that on my LR4 which was a vehicle in a similar weight class. As you can see from this thread, Gaijin guided me towards 40-41 front/rear based on some documentation he had. They "felt" find at that pressure though my LC loses control on wash boarded roads. I was wondering if I could drop the PSI down even lower for everyday driving so I had sent something to BFG to see what they would say and I got this. The fact that they are so very different is what has me confused.

I had started out with mine at about 55 front and 65 rear as I was pulling a trailer. This was in part due to BFG telling me to run them like that on my LR4 which was a vehicle in a similar weight class. As you can see from this thread, Gaijin guided me towards 40-41 front/rear based on some documentation he had. They "felt" find at that pressure though my LC loses control on wash boarded roads. I was wondering if I could drop the PSI down even lower for everyday driving so I had sent something to BFG to see what they would say and I got this. The fact that they are so very different is what has me confused.

40-41psi unless off-roading.

I've driven on-road much lower too. Those are very forgiving tires...

But like many others here who have done the math...40-41 seems to be golden on-road.

I like the 40-41 on pavement. Though I do NOT like the way this truck handles on washboarded roads. I don't mean "off roading". Simply dirt roads that are washboarded. Far worse control than I've had on my LR4, an Acura MDX, 2 Lexus RX350s and a 100 series LC. I was hoping that changing tire pressure might help.

There's a lot of confusion suddenly in this thread, but yours is easy to clear up.

I'm assuming your tires are LT-rated tires, not P-rated tires, correct?

When discussing tire pressures, we are ALWAYS talking about COLD tire inflation pressures, NOT the pressure inside the tire when they are warm after having been driven. In this case, "Cold" just means that the tire is at the same temperature as the ambient air - not having set in the sun and not having been driven for at least 4 hours.

The 33psi pressure recommended by Discount Tire is WRONG. They probably recommended that pressure because it is the only pressure listed on the placard on your door jamb. Only problem is, the placard pressure is for P-Rated 285/60-18 tires, not LT-Rated 275/70-18 tires.

Please don't make me go through all the math again, but based on Toyota's recommended pressure for the P285/60-18 tires, and following the charts and recommendation found in the 2014 Yearbook for the Tire and Rim Association, your Cold Tire INflation Pressure should be 41psi Front/Rear. So, yes, you are too low.

HTH

I like the 40-41 on pavement. Though I do NOT like the way this truck handles on washboarded roads. I don't mean "off roading". Simply dirt roads that are washboarded. Far worse control than I've had on my LR4, an Acura MDX, 2 Lexus RX350s and a 100 series LC. I was hoping that changing tire pressure might help.

With BP-51s installed? My 200 is AMAZING on washboard...the faster the better.

Are you on stock suspension? If so, I highly suspect you'll see a massive improvement on washboard.

Edit: By "the faster the better" I mean... the more notable the improvement. Drive at a safe speed, of course! But on straight, washboarded roads? Wow. You can really fly and handling remains surprisingly excellent with compression and rebound.

Last edited:

40-41psi is the correct pressure for you. Performance on washboard roads, and more particularly your noted difference between the LC and other vehicles you have driven, is most likely due to the suspension characteristics of the LC (wheelbase, springs, shocks, etc.).

Interestingly, when I first mounted the LT285/70-17 E-Rated BFG KO's on my 2013 LC, and was following Toyota's recommendation of 46psi (which is wrong and was done purely as a legal CYA), I took my rig on a local washboarded road. I was bouncing all over the place and was not happy at all with the ride quality. After a LOT of research and investment in reference materials (e.g. the TRA Yearbook), I determined the correct pressure for my tires was 39.3psi (call it 40psi). I went back over that same washboarded road with the lower tire pressure and the ride was greatly improved.

Still, the same rules of thumb about best speed over washboard being related to wheelbase, weight and speed all apply. No two different vehicle makes/models are going to perform exactly the same in all conditions.

In relation to BFG's recommendation of 55psi:

At 55psi, your LT285/65R18 tires have a Load Limit of 2,790 pounds/tire - that's 5,480 pounds/axle.

At 40psi, your LT285/65R18 tires have a Load Limit of 2,235 pounds/tire - that's 4,470 pounds/axle.

The Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) of your LC is 3,595 pounds for the front axle and 4,300 pounds for the rear axle.

This means that no axle on your LC can handle a load above 4,300 pounds. With your tires at 40psi, you are at a Load Limit of 4,470 pounds - above any load the truck can safely handle.

From a big picture perspective, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of your LC is only 7,385 pounds - or, if that weight is evenly distributed, just a little over 1,846 pounds/tire. With your tires at 40psi, you are safely above that Load Limit.

BFG's recommendation is simply wrong.

HTH

There's a lot of confusion suddenly in this thread, but yours is easy to clear up.

I'm assuming your tires are LT-rated tires, not P-rated tires, correct?

When discussing tire pressures, we are ALWAYS talking about COLD tire inflation pressures, NOT the pressure inside the tire when they are warm after having been driven. In this case, "Cold" just means that the tire is at the same temperature as the ambient air - not having set in the sun and not having been driven for at least 4 hours.

The 33psi pressure recommended by Discount Tire is WRONG. They probably recommended that pressure because it is the only pressure listed on the placard on your door jamb. Only problem is, the placard pressure is for P-Rated 285/60-18 tires, not LT-Rated 275/70-18 tires.

Please don't make me go through all the math again, but based on Toyota's recommended pressure for the P285/60-18 tires, and following the charts and recommendation found in the 2014 Yearbook for the Tire and Rim Association, your Cold Tire INflation Pressure should be 41psi Front/Rear. So, yes, you are too low.

HTH

I had a really hard time with the complications behind what Yoda (OK, gaijin...but I hate typing gaijin for some reason)... is saying...and after switching to 40-41...I am totally convinced.

Like Nike and gaijin say... IT, JUST DO...THERE IS NO TRY! ;)

I had a really hard time with the complications behind what Yoda (OK, gaijin...but I hate typing gaijin for some reason)... is saying...and after switching to 40-41...I am totally convinced.

Like Nike and gaijin say... IT, JUST DO...THERE IS NO TRY! ;)

Maybe because you're pronouncing it incorrectly? It's GUY (as in guys and gals) and GIN (as in gin and tonic). In Japanese (where I lived for 15 years) it means, "outsider" or "foreigner."

And thanks for the kind words :cheers:

Maybe because you're pronouncing it incorrectly? It's GUY (as in guys and gals) and GIN (as in gin and tonic). In Japanese (where I lived for 15 years) it means, "outsider" or "foreigner."

And thanks for the kind words :cheers:

Ahhh!

Maybe just call you Yodaijin? :hillbilly: -Love your avatar...

Last edited:
So can I drop to 38 and 41 when towing? In other words, drop them down as low as possible while still supporting the GVWR of the vehicle?

Tire pressure is dependent on weight of the vehicle. I run mine at 41-45 psi all the way around. I run all 4 tires at the same pressure.

I also run this pressure all the time except when wheeling were I go down to 22 psi

Maybe you said it earlier, but why are you running at 80psi?

So can I drop to 38 and 41 when towing? In other words, drop them down as low as possible while still supporting the GVWR of the vehicle?

40psi is the correct Cold Inflation Pressure for your tires, front and rear, whether you are towing or not. 40psi on the highway with just you in the vehicle, 40psi on the highway when you and 7 friends decide to make a beer run, and 40psi when you are towing. 40psi supports the full rated weight limit of your truck.

Front and rear tire pressures should be the same. This is not just for load carrying capacity, but for handling as well.

Period.

The only time I would go lower than 40psi is temporarily, when offroading at reduced speed. I've gone as low as 20psi and felt I could go more without risking the tire coming off the rim, but I have no experience with lower pressures than 20psi. However, this is an entirely different subject than we are discussing in this thread and has absolutely no bearing on my recommended tire pressure for onroad use.

HTH

Tire pressure is dependent on weight of the vehicle. I run mine at 41-45 psi all the way around. I run all 4 tires at the same pressure.

I also run this pressure all the time except when wheeling were I go down to 22 psi

Maybe you said it earlier, but why are you running at 80psi?

I never put them at 80. That is the max on those tires.

I'll keep them at 40-41 and ignore BFG

I run 40 psi as well and I air down to 18psi for the beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom