97 LX 450 or 99 LC/LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is my understanding that they both solve this issue, but I have no "hands on" experience with the Harrop.

Hearing everyone else leaning towards 100, the LX sounds like a better ride all together especially with the low miles.

Of course, you should realize that this is posted to the 100 series tech section. If you posted the same question to the 80 series section, you may find that they lean towards the 80 series.

Heavy or challenging off-roading I'd take the triple locked LX450.

More common (less challenging) off-roading, I'd take the low mileage LX470 and modify it later IF needed.

Yes...it has a limited slip in the rear (not a locker) and two pinion open front diff, but 'reasonable' off-roading isn't going to break the front diff.

Low mileage and good maintenance records= Better 'base' vehicle to start with. One caveat, be certain the AHC is in good working order, if you have any concerns there....then the 100 series L/C would be my next choice.

The truck will be used on the weekends only for two things: off-roading and occasional errands. That said, I am torn between the following choices:

- 97 LX 450 @ 214K miles all records available on lexus online, in good condition, axels and brakes were serviced at Lexus dealer and was involved in rear-end collision and fixed but no records on the damage fix other than the owner is telling me the front-pumper was replaced (this is a dealer)
- 99 LC w/rear locker @ 212K miles, carfax clean, no accidents, service records available, no 3rd-row seat (didn't test drive)
- 99 LX 470 @ 136K carfax clean, no accidents, service records available, looks clean, has 3rd-row seat (didn't test drive)

Prices: almost all 3 at under $9K

No you tell me how can I solve this dilemma ;)

I would get the 99 LX. You can add locker later if you need one. Please PM contact info if you don't buy the LX.

Ok. I see where you coming from but, so mudding and light rock crawling the 99 LX should be able to handle it even with the 2-pinion and lack of rear diff locker?

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure the 80 series has a 2-pinion front diff as well.

Now that realize your in a 200, my opinion changes. Of the three you mentioned, the 99LC, but I'd probably shop harder for a better 80 instead.

What!!!???? You're in a 2x100?????

That changes eerrrthang.

Get an 80 and the LX!!!!:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Just want to update everyone here about my experience test driving few LXs and 2 LC100s.

Test drove, 2000, 2002 and 2005 LX 470 as well as 1999 and 2001 LC100 all with relatively avg mileage between 130K-180K. All 3 LX trucks consistently felt better at handling and braking than the LC100s I tested.

When I drove the LXs:
#1 Body roll is very minimal when taking sharp turns vs the LC100
#2 braking felt more responsive (more like my LC200)
#3 Minimal body pitch/leaning forward when braking during city driving

When I drove the LC100
#1 Body roll was noticeable when taking sharp turns
#2 braking felt less responsive than LX 470
#3 Body pitch/leaning forward very noticeable when braking during city driving

Is this consistent with your experience driving LX's or LC100?

Also if OME lift is applied to the LX will I need to remove AHC or can it coexist? Also with the lift will also be noticing #1 and #3 above due to the high lift?

one thing to note, the driver seat on the two LC100 was more comfortable than the LX 2000 and 2002. I also noticed that 2005 was far more superior in terms of interior design and passenger comfort all together.

Is this consistent with your experience driving LX's or LC100?

Are the feel and cornering characteristics part of the AHC doing its job?

Also, when you test drive them, did you feel anything better with the 5-spd transmission LX versus the 4-sped models.

I want a newer one I think however I'm trying to pro vs con staying 98-99 and finding that rear locker and older V8 non-VVTi engine instead of a lower mileage newer with VVTi and 5-spd w/out the locker. Realistically the wife and I would be fine with the newer as the majority of our stuff is USFS roads and beach driving.

Other path is find the cheapest best maintained 200 we can and go that route. Lol... I'm trying to spend less than 15K though. For a used 200 we are upping the financial game by almost double that.

Are the feel and cornering characteristics part of the AHC doing its job?

Also, when you test drive them, did you feel anything better with the 5-spd transmission LX versus the 4-sped models.

I want a newer one I think however I'm trying to pro vs con staying 98-99 and finding that rear locker and older V8 non-VVTi engine instead of a lower mileage newer with VVTi and 5-spd w/out the locker. Realistically the wife and I would be fine with the newer as the majority of our stuff is USFS roads and beach driving.

Other path is find the cheapest best maintained 200 we can and go that route. Lol... I'm trying to spend less than 15K though. For a used 200 we are upping the financial game by almost double that.
IMO the closest year model to LC 200 in terms of ride and comfort is 2005+ LX 470. Anything below that year will not be close in comfort and luxury. As for the transmission, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Gas mileage gains are insignificant even with my 8-speed LC200. I am still experiencing 13.5MPG

This video has answers to some of your questions.

Seeing the video does answer my questions. It seems that AHC is responsible for the better handling and reduced pitching/body roll on the LX's I test drove. So the big question now is do you have to lose AHC to lift the LX 470?

Are you planning on Rock Crawling a lá a modified Wrangler? Or would you like a supple ride, a refrigerated centre console and the power to keep up with traffic?

LX450 is a wonderful vehicle but the LX470 is an AMAZING one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom