Quandary LC/LX or T4R or Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please bear with me, hoping to hear your opinions. Pardon the length! I jump between the 100-series and other choices!

I need something to drive on the East coast for roughly the next 2 years. I’ve got a ‘22 GX in CO where I’ll spend roughly 40% of my time. My wife will need a new car in 2 years. I would commute 30 mins and on weekends head into areas to explore along the coast and maybe up into Canada, etc. So highway along with tame off-road.

My thinking was to get something I’d drive in CT then use it as a replacement for my wife’s car when I’m done out East. However, I can’t bring myself to drive someone like a new RAV4 that she likes. So getting something I enjoy and selling is my quandary. I have owned one of each generation 4Runner and four Land Cruisers over the years.

Options as I see things:

1. Buy a 100-series LC or LX in excellent condition and drive it then sell and not lose a lot, if any money. Spend $25K for a nice documented one with <150K. Enough power dealing with the highway insanity?

2. Buy or lease a NEW 4Runner for $50K (prices for used make it pretty easy to see why new could make more sense) and sell it or give back in 2 years because I’ve got the GX. I could lose money if used values are down in 2 years and for some reason decided to keep it and sell later. I'm very familiar with these.

3. Buy a USED Tundra for $45K only because I like driving trucks and having the capability but I wouldn’t use it for “truck things” much. Parking in the city is a hassle, but for heading into the Northern parts of New England the truck would be nice on highway.

4. Suck it up and buy a NEW RAV4 or Highlander, drive while I’m out East then give it to my wife. This one is most sensible but I love my vehicles and driving. This would be soooo boring. Nothing special about it.

What would you do? I know, I know, only I can decide but it’s interesting to have opinions if you’re willing. Are my assumptions correct around value when I sell?

Is this the right place to post such a wandering topic? Apologies if not.

Thanks!

Last edited:
LX or LC.
Thanks! I need to continue to deepen my understanding of the market. After learning that I am probably safest avoiding undercoated examples (hiding rust) that have lived in Northeast or "salt belt" states, I am particularly sensitized to potential issues.

Hopefully, I can find a really good one for $25K. There are some out there at almost $30K but can't tell if they're worth it. All of them I've seen in the upper teens to $20K seem to have some sort of 'gotcha' exception. At least so far. I dont need anything immediately but I like to get stuff off of my "list"...

Unless you are there to babysit a used 100 series and fix it, I would not recommend even a 150K mile example. If you have time to baseline it, it may be ok.

And of course, you'd want to find one in Colorado and drive it out there. I wouldn't buy any used 100 series on the eastern seaboard if I had access to any others.

Highlander. You’d end up keeping the LC or T4R when you should sell it at the end of the two years. 😂

You mentioned in one of your other thread not having much time, a 150k / 15+ year old car is not really a turn key vehicle, Toyota badge or not.
True enough. I do need to remember this. Especially since I may not have a garage or my tools where I’d use it.

Highlander. Gas mileage and practicality
I think best for your use case. More fun than rav4 and can be used in your mild roads and good in snow with right tires.

I love my 100 with 150k and although it was maintained, there is always something to work on. It would be a hassle if I didn't enjoy it so much or have access to tools

Highlander. Gas mileage and practicality
I think best for your use case. More fun than rav4 and can be used in your mild roads and good in snow with right tires.

I love my 100 with 150k and although it was maintained, there is always something to work on. It would be a hassle if I didn't enjoy it so much or have access to tools
This. Nothin in your use-case says 100 to me.

If it's just you and 1 passenger, a new or newer 5th 4Runner, or the RAV4. If you do the RAV4, get the hybrid for the 40 mpg and thank me later.

Since you intend to only keep this vehicle for a few years and it sounds like you don’t need a lot of passenger space, I recommend and 4Runner or Tacoma.

I love my 100, but the market has gone nuts and prices are stupid high, IMO. Regardless how awesome the LC/LX is, they’re still aging vehicles with high miles on most examples. I don’t see the point in buying something and going through the affording of baselining it and fixing the various issues it will have just to sell it in short order. The 100’s are old enough now that they’re enthusiasts vehicles and require a bit of passion and wrenching ability (or deep pockets) to keep on the road. JMO, of course and good luck!

100 series are old now and they require regular upkeep which can quickly get VERY expensive if you don't DIY. I'd say get a RAV4 or Highlander Hybrid and occasionally rent a fun vehicle to keep things interesting.

Please bear with me, hoping to hear your opinions. Pardon the length! I jump between the 100-series and other choices!

I need something to drive on the East coast for roughly the next 2 years. I’ve got a ‘22 GX in CO where I’ll spend roughly 40% of my time. My wife will need a new car in 2 years. I would commute 30 mins and on weekends head into areas to explore along the coast and maybe up into Canada, etc. So highway along with tame off-road.

My thinking was to get something I’d drive in CT then use it as a replacement for my wife’s car when I’m done out East. However, I can’t bring myself to drive someone like a new RAV4 that she likes. So getting something I enjoy and selling is my quandary. I have owned one of each generation 4Runner and four Land Cruisers over the years.

Options as I see things:

1. Buy a 100-series LC or LX in excellent condition and drive it then sell and not lose a lot, if any money. Spend $25K for a nice documented one with <150K. Enough power dealing with the highway insanity?

What would you do? I know, I know, only I can decide but it’s interesting to have opinions if you’re willing. Are my assumptions correct around value when I sell?

Is this the right place to post such a wandering topic? Apologies if not.

Thanks!
And you said “I need something to drive on the East coast for roughly the next 2 years” - $20k - $25k of LC and LX for 2 years wouldn’t loose value that much unless you got it from a dealer (best is to buy it from a personal sale, no tax), also unless by time you sell it there’s a damage or pending major repair/maintenance that needs to be addressed odo skyrocketed by the hundreds of thousands of miles.

Get a Tundra 😁

Personally I'd get a LC 100/LX ...buuut you don't have time as you said and need this thing to be reliable problem free for the most part. These things are getting older and depending on previous maintenance can be a hassle one way or the other simply due to age.

The Highlander is capable for minor offroad situations (but boring tbh). A Tundra gives you some nice v8 power, 'truck driving' type feel on the road, and stellar reliability depending on what you buy. 5.7iforce ftw!!

Get a Tundra 😁

Personally I'd get a LC 100/LX ...buuut you don't have time as you said and need this thing to be reliable problem free for the most part. These things are getting older and depending on previous maintenance can be a hassle one way or the other simply due to age.

The Highlander is capable for minor offroad situations (but boring tbh). A Tundra gives you some nice v8 power, 'truck driving' type feel on the road, and stellar reliability depending on what you buy. 5.7iforce ftw!!
Exactly why I shed light on the wagon version of a Tundra. Although the 2nd Gen's are too big for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom