New Member - Dalton '73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Just signed on as a new Mud member. I live in Raleigh and recently, with the help of a friend and fellow FJ owner, found a '73 FJ40 that I want to share with you and get your thoughts, constructive feedback and recommendations for moving forward. This will be a weekend vehicle that sees an occasional hunting or fishing trip, lots of running around with the kids and will spend most of it's time on the asphalt (but I want it ready when it gets an opportunity for a little off roading). I'm calling the rig Dalton (I was a big fan of the Dutch (Darren Daulton - Phillies) growing up and yep, I've seen Roadhouse quite a few times).

At some point, a 2F engine and a 4-speed manual were installed. The rig has new SOR rear quarter panels, new OME springs, bushings, 4" lift, OME shocks and an OME steering stabilizer. It rides on new BFG MTs 33 X 10.5 X 15 (with a spare on a custom built spare tire carrier) with new SOR rims and hubcaps. All electrical lights, side marker lights, headlights and signal lights are new. Newly restored jump seats were installed in the back.

Mechanically, the clutch is new, driver side knuckle was rebuilt and the windshield wiper motor was rebuilt. A Man-A-Fre distributor was installed. It was freshly painted over the past year or so and the paint is in good shape. There are some rust spots on the front doors, front fenders, underneath inside rocker panels and in the interior on the tub wheel wells in the back (probably a few more places that I haven't seen yet).

Since most of the mod work has been done, there's only a few more things that I plan to do to it. Mechanically, I'm planning to convert to a SBC 350, switch out the radiator (has a small leak) and new exhaust. Safety/comfort wise, I want to switch out the front seats to a bucket type with 3 point safety belts and move the front seat lap belts to the jump seats in the back. I'm also planning to have the tub interior painted with POR 15's rust product followed by their bedliner product. Underneath has been sprayed before but will be touched up where needed. The whole rig will be rewired and a Man-A-Fre gauge panel will be added to the dash with new gauges. Also planning to add a Tuffy console box and a HFS bumper to the front. That about covers it.

One admission, my former DD was a 100 series that in a very weak moment was sold after I picked up a company car. I'm still kicking myself for letting it go, but a small silver lining is that the buyer has rigged it out and taken it to some very cool places.

Check out the photos and offer me some feedback and suggestions. Look forward to participating in the threads and local events as they come up.

IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

Sweet looking 40.

So you're the one who ended up with that one. Several of us were discussing this rig a few weeks ago. My impression was that it has the right look and seems like a pretty solid cruiser for the price. Enjoy!

Welcome! Looks good so far. Why do you want to change so many things? Drive it as is for a good long while then decide if you need seats, engine, etc. I like the color, but it looks like it might have been blue to start.

Congrats on your 40 and welcome to MUD.

Enjoy the ride!

Rice

Nice truck. Welcome!

Welcome! Looks good so far. Why do you want to change so many things? Drive it as is for a good long while then decide if you need seats, engine, etc. I like the color, but it looks like it might have been blue to start.
I think it was originally green, but was painted blue and at some point red. New seats are a must - I log a lot of road miles during the week and the back is starting to feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom