Thoughts about cryo-treating ring & pinion... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm starting to piece together my parts kit in order to rgear to 5.29s. I just ordered the front/rear Nitro R&Ps plus the 29 spline pinion flange for the front. I'll buy the other parts as funds magically appear.

Since I'll have plenty of time before this actually gets installed, I was thinking about sending the R&P gears out for a cryo treatment. I've read lots of discussions about this but I wanted to see what folks think about it specifically for this truck. Any real world impressions on our trucks? Is it worth the hassle? What's effect of strength vs longevity?

And lastly, what shops would you recommend for this procedure? I'm in Northern California if it matters...

IMO, it's worthless for the rear since I don't think the ring and pinion are going to be your weak link anyway. For the front, though, it may be worth doing.

I did not cryo my R&P and told myself that doing an axle swap makes more sense if I want to run tires big enough to break parts in the HP 8

Myself, Mrs. CDan and CDan all had our gears cryo'ed before installation.

Where'd you send them out, Longfield's?

IMO, it's worthless for the rear since I don't think the ring and pinion are going to be your weak link anyway. For the front, though, it may be worth doing.

I did not cryo my R&P and told myself that doing an axle swap makes more sense if I want to run tires big enough to break parts in the HP 8

But even at about $45 per R&P, you wouldn't think it's a worthwhile thing to do?

I blew up my first set of front 5.29's after just a few runs. I cryoed the second set and have wheeled it hard since, with no issues to speak of. So yes, cryo them, but with that being said, do not give it too much skinny pedal in reverse on a steep incline, cryod or not. :D

Mine are not cryo'd (wish they were) and I'm hard on them. I pull stuck rigs out in reverse and back up steep inclines. Full throttle rock bouncer style. No issues yet. I only blew up a front 4:56 in the past on 37's. With 40's the 5:29 are holding up so far. If I do blow them I will cryo the next set.

Cryo'd my R&P and all the bearings when I went 4.88. Noticeable difference....nope. Worth the expense...no way to tell at this point.

Where'd you send them out, Longfield's?

But even at about $45 per R&P, you wouldn't think it's a worthwhile thing to do?

probably the front. still doubt it for the rear. and you already know it goes without saying that the specifications around the install will matter more. low cbpl, not enough backlash combined with improper breakin, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom