1HZ Boost Comp Install Issue - No throttle response (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed my boost comp on my 1HZ rotary pump tonight and the install was pretty straight forward.

I followed the manual with everything but after installing it and having it all back together I start up my truck and I have absolutely no throttle response what so ever. Its not my linkage or anything like that, it is fully pump related.

I am completely stumped at this point and I have taken the thing on and off 3 times tonight with a ton of trouble shooting.
The govenor spring is on correct from what I can see.

I have a boost controller on an inline pump on an Isuzu 4BD2. I doubt they are the same, but in theory, they should work the same?

The boost controller is used to de-fuel when there is low/no boost pressure.

On mine, when the adjustment is at an extreme, I have no power, but it will rev.

I wonder if the boost adjuster is different than the one removed, and/or, the adjuster is way off?

I assume you have tried to adjust the limit screw and it has one?

Did you compare the adjuster between the two controllers?

Is your boost line connected?

Not much help...

Doug

On one of the reinstalls I forgot to screw in these fuel screw and it wouldn't start.

I have tension on the governor springs under the governor cover / boost comp.

I am completely stumped. I have tried loading those springs slightly and backing off.
Could I have accidentally touched a flyweight or something and caused for something to go out of wack?

got it fixed, fewf.

I think the biggest tip I can recommend to people tackling this job and are curious is to look up the boys with 12v cummins playing with the governor springs. There are plenty of resources (reading and video) out there on what you will basically see.

I had to do something different since my fuel rod is modified.
I ended up having to take it completely out, fitting the boost comp and adding it last.
Also when your fitting the governor cover / boost comp, unscrew the max fuel screw so it is flush with the internal housing and not screwing with the internal linkage. Afterwards I screwed the thing in as far as it could go.

She black smoked like a cummins:), i backed it off after that and I will be tuning it tonight or tomorrow.

What a relief.

thanks for the advice, i will be doing this on my PZ this winter. i bought the compensator from Akella a couple months back with intentions of doing it sooner. after reading this thread i am glad i waited.

It's just a finicky little job but its really not that bad. That back Allen bolt is a pain. When your doing it if you get stuck just ask. I hardly slept Saturday night, lots of reading on those VE pumps and thinking what I did wrong.

I forgot to mention too that there is a minor difference with the boost comp too. I had the taller HAC pump with no dash pot. The first time I put the pump on I had fuel pissing out, thinking it was a bad seal job. The boost comp has the dashpot hole drilled and tapped. Luckily you can steal a plug and copper washer off another part of your old pump top to plug it.

If you have a non HAC pump you will need to source a plug, I don't know if its metric or some British thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom