Rebuilt and Loaded Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had any issues with rebuilt calipers? I was looking at either Bendix or Raybestos, both fully loaded.

Pros vs cons?

Thanks!

Buy OEM rebuilt from Beno or CDan
If the toyota ones have lasted this long why get something else other than OEM?
Dont bother with the other ones

The rebuilt calipers are OEM that just have new seals. It depends on the quality of the seals they put in. Toyota OEM seal kit should be fine.

i just bought centric rebuilt calipers from rockauto, i was really impressed with the quality. Ive put about 1500 miles on them so far and everything is all good.

I just used Lowe Toyota in Warner Robbins, GA. They are in the vendor list. They offer 25% off and free shipping. If you are on the east coast might be a better option. I ordered a rear caliper from Sam there and everything went super smooth. The Toyota rebuild turned out to be cheaper than the NAPA as NAPA was going to charge me shipping to the store.

Remember that the reman front calipers are for the 93-94 years only. You can use the reman 93-94 on a 95-97, they are the same and they work, i have used them. However, because of the way they are listed, you won't get your core exchange with the 95-97 calipers, so that raises the price going the OEM route for the fronts on the 95-97.

Order reman'd front calipers for a 94 and bring back calipers "from a 94". Toyota's reman's are around $100 after discount even with the core charge IIRC and better quality than the average part store IME. I couldn't see a difference between the original front calipers off my 96 model and Toyota Reman's for a 94, both were S13WC.
DSC00321.JPG
DSC00346.JPG

Last edited:
I did rebuilt Centric and A1 Cardone on my Cruiser. They work great. Several thousand miles on them with no issues.

I rebuilt all 4 on my 94. It was pretty easy. I'd do it yourself unless you're in a time crunch.

Toyota OEM reman calipers use NEW pistons or cleaned up pistons?

These are OEM Remans
I got about 6 months ago and have not put them on yet
Look like new pistons to me
I actually got one reman and one brand new caliper
If toyota does not have any remans they give you a new one
It is random but it does happen
Beno told me that when I ordered them and I did not believe him
And sure enough one of the calipers is brand new OEM not a reman
Calipers 009.jpg
Calipers 010.jpg

Last edited:
kidglove; your remans look different(?thicker/brighter zinc coating, no yellow bolts or paint marks), than what I got a couple of years ago from my local dealer (post # 9, second photo, top caliper). Maybe just the lighting? The piston seals on these were OEM Toyota but noticed at the time that the zinc coating was not the best on one of them, just no time to wait on another set. Wonder if Toyota changed the supplier for their reman's??
DSC00621.JPG
DSC00622.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not looking to rebuild them. It's got 170k on it and I'd rather just start with a fresh set that has zero issues.

I don't mind spending money and just replace everything. Which is what I am kind of doing.

Thanks for all your input.

kidglove; your remans look different(?thicker/brighter zinc coating, no yellow bolts or paint marks), than what I got a couple of years ago from my local dealer (post # 9, second photo, top caliper). Maybe just the lighting? The piston seals were OEM Toyota but noticed at the time that the zinc coating was not the best on one of them, just no time to wait or another. Wonder if Toyota changed the supplier for their reman's??

Kernal
I will pull them out of the box tomorrow and have a better look again that picture was taken 6 months ago so I dont remember
I probably should put them on while I am at it:doh:

kidglove; your remans look different(?thicker/brighter zinc coating, no yellow bolts or paint marks), than what I got a couple of years ago from my local dealer (post # 9, second photo, top caliper). Maybe just the lighting? The piston seals on these were OEM Toyota but noticed at the time that the zinc coating was not the best on one of them, just no time to wait on another set. Wonder if Toyota changed the supplier for their reman's??

I've seen several different colors of calipers. Some have been bright colored, some have been dark/dull.

I will repeat again that sometimes the rebuilder doesn't have the core parts and they will put a new OEM unit in a reman box. It happens about 60% with rear 80 calipers.

I will say that we've had quality issues with a recent batch of 80 series front calipers where the piston height was incorrect not allowing a new pad and disc to fit in. They seem to have ironed this issue out though. We are checking them all as they come in with a rotor and a pad set.

Obviously we have no issues with warrantying these parts as long as you return them in OEM packaging (always good to save your part packaging.

Remans are no longer japanese made. ADVICS is doing the remans out of someplace in the upper Midwest....Michigan, IIRC.

Technically, there are no remans for the late 80 series run. New only. But as we all know the calipers are the same for 1993-1997. ;)

Thanks Beno.

I'm not looking to rebuild them. It's got 170k on it and I'd rather just start with a fresh set that has zero issues.

I don't mind spending money and just replace everything. Which is what I am kind of doing.

Thanks for all your input.

Right on. Peace of mind and all that.

If I treated every maintenance item like this, the cost of ownership would be MUCH too high for me. Luckily for me, Mr T designed almost every widget on these trucks to be serviceable.

Those reman calipers do look purdy though. Mmmm, shiny things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom