Operation SOA 75 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Done a lil bit on the ute today, cut the guards and started making the sliders.

Took about 5" out of the rear of the guard for tyre clearance and to sneak the front mount of the sliders around it to the chassis.

Ive still got to put a few bars between them and to the rail. Then sheet it back to the rail with 3mm plate.

DSC03006.JPG

I took the pulley off the TG pwr steer pump to machine it out to a 13A belt size.

I think im on track to have her ready for rock comp with time to spare to organise spares!

See more pics and a more in depth update here

Time for an update

Well over the last few weeks ive been getting the car ready for Coastal Rocks the Paddock, its been some late nights.

The car came up like this with:
40" sticky treps on beadlocked rims
Guard chop
Exo
Front redback airshocks
Sliders
Hydro assist steering

DSC03021.JPG

DSC03022.JPG

The car still had some issues with spitting power steering belts and was still running clicking longfeild cvs.

The fist day saw us starting from stage 8 and finishing on 2, we aced stage 8 for the full 100 points in the fastest time. 9 we were penalised for 3 or 4 reverses. 10 we had a hard time in as it was very tight we didnt finish it in the allowed time but still got a decent score. 1 we totally screwed up and got 0 on, couldnt get up the first stepup :S. 2 we again aced for the 100 points.

That night we had the mud run, i wanted to make up for the screw ups during the day so i went for it... Launching at high speed off a 2m drop off into mud took its toll. I bent my front diff housing on the LSH up and back at a 30deg angle, snapped the axle and took the Schroeder valve off my airshock with the tyre. Still finished it with the fastest time in 3wd! Cleaned it down and set to work fixing it.

IMGP1823.JPG

DSC03025.JPG

DSC03024.JPG

Massive thanks to Duncan for all his work!!!
A late night/early morning saw us back on the tracks for almost the whole of sunday.

Stage 3 saw us get just shy of the 100 point mark, got high sided on a rock not 1m from the finish. 4 and 5 we nailed for just shy of 100 points each also. Stage 6 which no one had finished saw me get just shy of the 80 point mark, i sheered all my kingpin bolts on the LSH, mashed my longfeild cv on the LHS and sheered my locking hub on the RHS.

We took her back to the pits with the help of the tractor once again pulled it down and put a new swivel hub on it. Time ran out and we had to miss out on stage 7.

The car is battered and bruised, the sliders are all bent, sump got hit, front shackle pins are broken, both air shocks have blown out and my snorkel is crushed...

It was all worth it though!!! I came away with 3rd in extreme class!

Now its time to rebuild everything again!!! yay

For heaps more pics of the event see forum « OUTLAWS4X4.com

Awsome shots........

Might be time for diamond axles maybe even dana 60s by the looks of how hard you are running that rig..

Rob

:beer::beer:

Thanks guys!!!

D60s or diamonds would be great but just way too expensive to continue using, just a wheel bearing kit for a d60 here is over $100 where toy rebuild kits are less than $30.

Im looking at building up a 60series front, my own housing like the diamond with longs and 6 shooters. An 80series rear braced and trussed.

Going to a different leaf spring, maby custom. Pretty much need to re work the whole front suspension.

Thanks guys!!!

D60s or diamonds would be great but just way too expensive to continue using, just a wheel bearing kit for a d60 here is over $100 where toy rebuild kits are less than $30.

Im looking at building up a 60series front, my own housing like the diamond with longs and 6 shooters. An 80series rear braced and trussed.

Going to a different leaf spring, maby custom. Pretty much need to re work the whole front suspension.

Why not links? A custom 3 link would flex like crazy and coilovers would handle jumping much better.

im not chasing killer flex, i love the predictability and robustness of leaf springs.

One day when i have too much money and time ill look at setting up a linked and coilover suspension.

Are you still running your UNI Filter air filter? Do they work well? Better than K and N? I'll me making a box for my custom air filter and would like to do something similar to yours.

Thanks!

Louis

Yeah mate im loving it. Be sure to get one big enough.

I clean mine pretty regularly and since getting everything sealed up perfect have not seen any dust in the intake.

Biggest reason i went to a uni filter was they were the only ones that made the filter as big as i wanted. Fairly cheap too.

Good luck

Looked like you had a ball , that jackaroo loved the limestone boulders,the purple rover snaping the front hub or what ever broke was great :D
Tom your cruiser looks about 10 million times bigger in person than pics ,very nice

Are you still running your UNI Filter air filter? Do they work well? Better than K and N? I'll me making a box for my custom air filter and would like to do something similar to yours.

Thanks!

Louis

I've seen and ran K&N's and UNI's on ATV over the years and the difference between to two is night and day. The UNI is more like a factory honda ATV foam filter and I would suspect lower flow than the K&N. On this application the foam has several densities keeping the bigger particles to the outside of the filter. A noticeable difference in the life of tops ends with the UNI vs K&N. If you hold the two filters up to light after a year of use. You realize very quickly why people curse K&N's. Garbage IMO unless you're using a motor for one race!

Hi Zoltan, how did you clamp your snorkel to the airbox?? Pretty tight in there Mate! I am just installing mine now - making the airbox and the fender hole is cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom