HFS bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So its about time for a new front bumper. What do you guys think of the Hell-for-Stout bumpers? 3/8" steel and mounts for the 8274 and shackles.
Bumper HFS™

Thanks, B.

A friend of mine has one...
Its a NICE BUMPER IMO!
If I were not gonna make one myself, that'd be the one that Id do.

Chicago

I have one and really like it. Not a great picture but the only one I had handy.

DSCF3405.jpg
DSCF3405.jpg

You might search for "Hawkdriver" here on the mud board. He makes some good stuff very affordable if he's not deployed overseas.

My $0.02:

I like the HFS; simple, clean and robust. But I have always thought that it is too pricey. I keep hoping something identical or very similar will become available at a lower price.

piece of 0.25" x 5" (I think that is the size that just fits over the stock bumper mounts) C-channel and some 0.25" flat plate for the whinch mount. Just need a drill, welder, and a grinder.
P1010212_sm.JPG

Here are some pics

This is on our 1970 FJ40. Works great!
IMG_8008.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg

It seems like I caught my HFS bumper on sale and I live about an hour and a half from CCOT so it didn't seem that expensive to me. I am kind of a penny pincher so I know I shopped around. I built my own out of C-channel and it did not look good. The Hfs comes with the two d-rings and I figured that was worth about $30 or $40 in itself. I will give you more pics when I get home. Don't know how to add them from iPhone.

Thanks for all the pics and info dudes! :beer::beer::beer:

That was way more than I expected. I have checked out the Hawkdriver bumpers and they are very very nice. What I like about the HFS bumper is, I guess it just looks right on a 40 to me, with the C-channel design and the shackles, and it seems to be very beefy.

My biggest concern though is the shackle mounts. It appears that they are welded to the surface of the bumper correct? I would like if they mounted to the frame or at least pentrated to the back-side of the bumper. They don't do they?
And its a little pricey. But I figure for the amount of time and materials and the cost of powder-coating and shackles, I'll can bite the bullet on the cost.

I think I'm gonna' get one :D
Thanks again.
Brian.

oh yea, Copenhagen1, if you wanna' post more pics I wouldn't mind seeing them either. thx.

The leaf hanger do not attach to the bumper they are in the factory location the bumper attaches to the extension brackets on the end of the frame.

My biggest concern though is the shackle mounts. It appears that they are welded to the surface of the bumper correct? I would like if they mounted to the frame or at least pentrated to the back-side of the bumper. They don't do they?.

if it isnt through welded id be very surprised. i spent the coin to get nice shackles and i cut them off after i had them put on. the tow hooks on the top of the frame are better than anything you can put on a bumper

link if you have shackles on the front of a bumper then you are tugging on a bumper that is tugging your frame more things to bend and or break with the factory hooks you cut out the middle guy and just pull on your frame

the one from JoeTLC looks to be the exact same thing. if you just want a shorter length thats pretty easy to do. and then you have some extra bits of channel laying around for the next project :cheers:

oh yea, Copenhagen1, if you wanna' post more pics I wouldn't mind seeing them either. thx.

Here ya' go:

photo3.jpg
HFS bumper is very thick, See how the corners of the channel have more of a radius than a square corner like normal c-channel. This bumper just looked more professional looking than what I made out of channel.

photo4.jpg
welded on, not through, the bumper. very sturdy nonetheless

photo5.jpg
need to figure out how to make this one my avatar. I like how this phone pic turned out.

One thing I will warn you about is that you have to have the original bumper mounting brackets. I didn't have them and had to find them used here from one of our fellow Mudders.
photo3.jpg
photo4.jpg
photo5.jpg

Man that bumper is beefy! I like how it looks with the winch too. Thanks for the pics. :cheers:

if it isnt through welded id be very surprised. i spent the coin to get nice shackles and i cut them off after i had them put on. the tow hooks on the top of the frame are better than anything you can put on a bumper

link if you have shackles on the front of a bumper then you are tugging on a bumper that is tugging your frame more things to bend and or break with the factory hooks you cut out the middle guy and just pull on your frame

the one from JoeTLC looks to be the exact same thing. if you just want a shorter length thats pretty easy to do. and then you have some extra bits of channel laying around for the next project :cheers:
Pretty sure your hooks are attached to your frame too. Plus no distribution. Just pressure on those two 12mm bolts. I like the HFS design but they do seem pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom