Builds BurntToast's FJ62 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, Check fluid in transmission very carefully per manual. Small changes in fluid really effect these transmissions.if oil is not red,drop pan ,clean filter and put in new fluid. Transmission cable also wear from the inside.
Thanks Michael, I’ll check it when it comes out for the next owner, but this truck is getting an LS and hopefully a more modern transmission soon

I ordered the nut also, but didn’t need it as the one on my FJ was still there. But nope it bolts right on!
Ah that was one thing I wasn't certain on: Order the nut from the 80 or 62 setup. I like to replace/refresh the hardware when possible just in case so will order the 62 nut. Thanks!

Big day for me personally, a project truck and a organized garage to put it in has been on my list for better part of 15 years.

373196FD-BCE7-4867-BFFF-8251B454FA75.jpeg

Let’s start the tear down next

Are you wanting to remove the underlayment as well? The sticky tar like substance?

Congrats on the start of your build! Something to be aware of, the body will rust underneath that stuff and form bubbles in the underlayment. If you see any of that you may just want to remove it all, treat the rust then apply your sound deadener of choice.

Congrats on the start of your build! Something to be aware of, the body will rust underneath that stuff and form bubbles in the underlayment. If you see any of that you may just want to remove it all, treat the rust then apply your sound deadener of choice.
This was my approach just to be sure of what was underneath. Dry ice. Dry ice. Dry ice.

I used about 50 or 60 pounds to do the entire truck
Same here, just under 50 lbs for the whole truck. Make sure to get dry ice pellets too. A local welding supply had it for $1.25/lb. The pellets are cheaper and easier to work with. I scooped a couple of lbs into a garbage bag so it’s easy to move around and lasts longer. Also helps to have a shop vac to get all the little pieces of material that chip off and fly everywhere. Once the material gets cold enough you’ll hear it popping then it chips off pretty easy. Just do it in little sections starting in the cargo area and vacuum as you go. Really it’s not too bad just time consuming.

You can also buy freeze spray, which is pricier but reusable over multiple times. I used the freeze spray method, and worked great.

Also check for rust behind these covers. There’s a body mount in there that can rust out if you’re not careful. I found some flaky rust on my otherwise rust free CA/AZ 60 hiding in there.

94C7CC72-BAE5-40B3-81E7-E5F53273F5D2.jpeg

A9751333-0B5A-4752-B9F0-4FFCC8EDA1C3.jpeg

Also check for rust behind these covers. There’s a body mount in there that can rust out if you’re not careful. I found some flaky rust on my otherwise rust free CA/AZ 60 hiding in there.

View attachment 3108675

View attachment 3108676

Great point. I found similar rust on mine under these caps, mostly pass. side. I had wet carpet there intermittently and finally noticed the rust stain draining from this cap. It's a very hidden rust area on these trucks. Any idea from where and how it collects water??

Need to scrape it out vacuum it out and fill it full of CorrosionX or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom