What did you do on your 70 series today? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks so good, I'd like to get a Kaymar as well. Tell me about the GXL mudflaps, where did you find those?

Thanks

I managed to get them off ebay using part numbers 76607-60271(right) and 76608-60271(left). They are on partsouq as well I believe.

These mudflaps definitely look good with the kaymar as they extend out more than the original HZJ77 mudflaps. I got my kaymar from @joekatana I am not sure if he will continue to bring them in or not.

95% complete! Awaiting headrests and deciding on sound dampening material.

F7A1EE70-EBC0-4A91-8033-0DF7F5D282E5.jpeg

Agree with all of your special characters.... and then some. I built it to keep it forever, but very glad that project is gone!! Wasted many hours....

I am interested in figuring out the differences in the drum brakes between mine that used 60 series parts and the one that @thebill was dealing with. I like puzzles... obviously.
Don't tell anyone, but I'm due to get my rig back mid-July. I will have a bunch of parts for the Dana drums I'll be looking to unload that didn't fit the 60-series axle that went into it. At very least I'll have two cylinder rebuild kits and new backing plates to get rid of, but more on that once I have a clearer sense.

Got some new sunvisors and a driver's side 'oh-$hit handle'. Mine are tan (with stains), these are gray...not sure it matters as my seats are gray, headliner is tan though. My trim code is LC011 (I think).

Anyone here ever try painting visors? SEM makes some interior paints.

IMG_20220624_074246890.jpg

Probably the only time this truck has seen the inside of an actual Toyota dealership. 😊
29F21E2B-C895-477B-BDD2-5352E32D1A38.jpeg

Got my 74 back from transmission experts.
Ended up spending about $3,000 for gearbox and transfer case rebuild kits, labor, replacement input shaft and machine shop work.
Upgrade t-fer case input gear had to have its tail shortened to allow pto gear to fit nearby.
At least one roller bearing assembly had worn out.. individual rollers lying around.
Truck went into reverse first try, which is an improvement.
gearbox gears.JPG

1656270504974.png

...Upgrade t-fer case input gear had to have its tail shortened to allow pto gear to fit nearby...

If they cut the extension off the long spline input gear for use with a PTO gear, unfortunately it's just the length of the standard input gear fwiw. There was a manufacturer doing the long-spline gear with PTO provisions but they've been super hard to find for quite some time. How did the output shaft of your trans look? Generally if TC input splines are worn, the shaft is worn too.

If they cut the extension off the long spline input gear for use with a PTO gear, unfortunately it's just the length of the standard input gear fwiw.
I drove the 40 minutes to their shop and the guy showed me the original input gear, spacer that goes on the same shaft, and the shaft itself. The spacer was about 1.5 inches long. The new improved gear’s tail was longer still. Yes the shaft was worn noticeably. I ran the new gear to a machine shop I use quite a bit. They cut off the tail so its length matched that of the old gear+spacer. So at least some of the new gear is making contact with unworn splines.

I drove the 40 minutes to their shop and the guy showed me the original input gear, spacer that goes on the same shaft, and the shaft itself. The spacer was about 1.5 inches long. The new improved gear’s tail was longer still. Yes the shaft was worn noticeably. I ran the new gear to a machine shop I use quite a bit. They cut off the tail so its length matched that of the old gear+spacer. So at least some of the new gear is making contact with unworn splines.

Ah yes, that is true there is a short spacer between the input gear and the PTO gear, so every little bit will help. Did you consider swapping them trans output shaft while there were rebuilding? If you find yourself back in there, we stock the shaft.

If you find yourself back in there, we stock the shaft.

I was desperate to get the truck back. Also, I was thinking a replacement shaft would be NLA.
I will probably get one from you and get it put in in the Fall.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom