Builds '91 PZJ77 Money Pit in Flat White (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I just sold my trustworthy, reliable mall cruiser 100 series and jumped face first into my 1991 PZJ77. Everything seems to be in good working order, especially considering it's age. I'm not a mechanic, but i'm looking forward to learning a lot while I work through this build.

I drove it home 300 miles the night I bought it, and it performed admirably. It cruised @70-75mph without a fuss, oil temperature stayed in the bottom third of the gauge the whole time. The aftermarket radiator might have helped there.

I've ordered a new air filter cap, because mine is rusted, a hood support rod clip, and an air/fuel/oil filter set, as well as the Max Ellery repair manual for the 1hz (hopefully this works well enough with the 1pz).

The good:
1) Timing belts have been done twice (and I hope the water pumps, too)
2) No white smoke
3) No oil in my coolant or coolant in my oil, at least what I can see on the dipstick
4) Previous owner serviced the transfer case, kept up on routine maintenance, put in an auxiliary 12V electrical system, replaced batteries, tires, and put in an aftermarket radiator from Oddiron.
5) No leaks in coolant system, which bodes well for the water pump (I guess?)

Here is a (short) list of my concerns so far:
1) @Broski considered buying the same rig, and he saw there was oil dripping from the front knuckle. Maybe a front knuckle rebuild?
2) Engine shudders violently on shutdown, but is pretty smooth while running. I guess this is normal for diesels, especially these diesels? Check motor mounts maybe?
3) Someone told me that all bottom end bearings should be replaced on older 70 series. How high of a priority is this?

My plan is basically get as much of the preventative maintenance done that I can before I get into customization. What else should I do?

Thanks!
image3.jpeg

It looks nice and I think it was a good buy. Still mad at my self for letting Calif Registration and insurance get in the way of the purchase.
If you look you well see both knuckles are leaking gear oil, it not critical just something that need to be done.
Also the oil pressure is something that need to be looked into. Mike did a cold start video for me and at the time there was no oil pressure showing. At start up there should be more oil pressure and as it's being driven ( warmed up ) then it should drop down.
Could be the sending unit.
The shudder does not sound right ether 🤷‍♂️

It looks nice and I think it was a good buy. Still mad at my self for letting Calif Registration and insurance get in the way of the purchase.
If you look you well see both knuckles are leaking gear oil, it not critical just something that need to be done.
Also the oil pressure is something that need to be looked into. Mike did a cold start video for me and at the time there was no oil pressure showing. At start up there should be more oil pressure and as it's being driven ( warmed up ) then it should drop down.
Could be the sending unit.
The shudder does not sound right ether 🤷‍♂️
Oil pressure gauge is not working at all for me. I forgot to mention that on my list of things to do.

Looks like a pretty nice find there Randy! Yeah like Broski said, just pick up a knuckle rebuild kit, depending on the miles, you may just want to pick up bearings as well. I tend to replace it all if I am going through the trouble of putting all new seals in anyways.

I would recommend going to the online manual section of mud here and downloading all the manuals you can on the 70 series. I am not sure who said you should replace all the lower bearings on older 70 series. I would not touch them until you need to actually rebuild anything on the motor. Then do it all.

1KZ, 1PZ 1HZ are all the same engine, just 4, 5, and 6 cylinder variations. However download the engine manual from Mud as it will point out the little differences between each model.

Welcome to the family and I hope this 77 give you many happy years of service! :cheers:

Congratulations! Looks like a nice rig; I was tempted too but it was just too far away. The oil pressure gauges on 70-series LC's aren't very reliable, if you're concerned about oil pressure I would recommend installing an aftermarket gauge.

Some shudder on shutdown is normal, but if it is excessive I would definitely be looking at motor and transmission mounts. It is not unlikely that they are original to the vehicle, and in need of replacement.

Bottom end bearings were an issue on early 1HD-T engines, and apparently some 1HD-FT/FTE engines also, but I haven't heard of issues with the 1HZ or 1PZ BEB's. A good way to see if there are bearing issues would be to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

Like @Rigster mentioned check out the manuals in the Resources tab here, also take a look in the manual sticky in the Diesel Tech forum. There should be engine manuals, chassis and body manuals, and electrical manuals that include your model.

1KZ, 1PZ 1HZ are all the same engine, just 4, 5, and 6 cylinder variations. However download the engine manual from Mud as it will point out the little differences between each model.
1PZ and 1HZ are related, but I'm pretty sure the 1KZ is a different engine altogether. Bore, stroke and the architecture of the engine and accessories are all different.

Oil pressure gauge is not working at all for me. I forgot to mention that on my list of things to do.
Must be a typo in your first post second paragraph ;)

I would start with the sending unit.

Knuckles, like Rigster said if your going in there just do all the bearings while your in there.

Might as well get to know the guys at Cruiser Outfitters, They well have a complete knuckle rebuild kit for your 70 as well as stocking a ton of parts for your Reg.

If you want to learn to wrench on your Reg the knuckle rebuild is a good place to start and a right of passage for any Land Cruiser owner

Here are some photos of the leaks @Broski mentioned. There is definitely some grease oozing out of what I assume are the knuckles. Also, is that a bleed line for diesel dripping out onto my floor? It looks like a lot of the wetness on the left side is actually diesel and not grease.

0CDB3041-916A-4400-9282-C33FD100BCB4.jpeg

BC4C55A3-7D0F-4684-81AB-33F1BCCCB261.jpeg

875B15D6-6927-4EFD-8778-E07DAC0BEA6A.jpeg

6D52601F-55A2-4EB9-A687-64407075FC53.jpeg

89812DC6-C823-4A94-AB46-4D094C4BACA3.jpeg

I recognize this one because it came over on the same shipping container from Japan as the PZJ70 I used to own. Imported by the same guy. Pretty Sweet.

View attachment 3017593
Do you know the guy that imported it? I'd love to get in touch with him and see what all he knows.

Do you know the guy that imported it? I'd love to get in touch with him and see what all he knows.

I will see if I can find it again. It was such long time ago. The seller of the PZJ70 put me in touch with him so I could get the import documents for my records. The VIN of your PZJ77 was also on it which is how I knew.

I will see if I can find it again. It was such long time ago. The seller of the PZJ70 put me in touch with him so I could get the import documents for my records. The VIN of your PZJ77 was also on it which is how I knew.

Sending you a DM of the guy who I bought the PZJ70 from. He might remember the importer still whom he bought it from. It is all I have.

Here are some photos of the leaks @Broski mentioned. There is definitely some grease oozing out of what I assume are the knuckles. Also, is that a bleed line for diesel dripping out onto my floor? It looks like a lot of the wetness on the left side is actually diesel and not grease.

View attachment 3017480

View attachment 3017481

View attachment 3017482

View attachment 3017483

View attachment 3017484
The Knuckles aren't looking too bad to me.
It's still clearly greas, not oil.
Check your diff breathers and give them a good clean. Pressur in diff due to clogged breathers may push the oil into the knuckles and wear the seal.
You may also check for grease level in the knuckles. There is a square head plug on top of the knuckle. Use LiMoS2 grease.

That dripping needs investigation.
Try to identify the fluid (catch some in a container).
Clean the area above and observe.

Nice rig! Have fun!
Ralf

Check your diff breathers and give them a good clean. Pressur in diff due to clogged breathers may push the oil into the knuckles and wear the seal.
You may also check for grease level in the knuckles. There is a square head plug on top of the knuckle. Use LiMoS2 grease.

Nice rig! Have fun!
Ralf
Based on some reading I think it may be a breather tube for blowby? I'll investigate more and see where the hose leads today.

Nice rig! Have fun!
Ralf
How can you tell it's grease not oil ? can you smell it ? the gear oil well run right over the grease and drip onto the ground

The PO sent me pictures of the truck and stated that it was parked in the same spot for 6 week, there was a small puddle under each knuckle.
Grease does not drip, gear oil does.

90 weight gear has a distinct smell, as does diesel fuel. One need to learn these smells to help diagnose issues ;)

Randy I just looked at the pictures you posted IMHO that's barf soup on your knuckles = gear oil mixed with Greece you can tell by the color and consistency.

You can just add some greece to put it off for a while but the seals need to be replaced.

How can you tell it's grease not oil ? can you smell it ? the gear oil well run right over the grease and drip onto the ground

The PO sent me pictures of the truck and stated that it was parked in the same spot for 6 week, there was a small puddle under each knuckle.
Grease does not drip, gear oil does.

90 weight gear has a distinct smell, as does diesel fuel. One need to learn these smells to help diagnose issues ;)
Right. I think on greas as it still leaves a pattern on the chrome ball. Oil doesn't.
If it really drips, it needs replacement. No doubt.

Based on some reading I think it may be a breather tube for blowby? I'll investigate more and see where the hose leads today.
Well possible. The crank case ventilation on my 1985 3B is a straight open pipe down. Recirculating blowby into the intake was invented only later.
As old engines usually have some blowby this straight pipe may drip. It did on mine, so I installed a homemade catch can.

I love the rig, everyone already said everything I was gonna say about your potential issues, really nothing major it seems. Your knuckles really don't look too bad but it's something you will have to do at some point whether you want to or not in any solid axle cruiser. Here is a video I used in combination with the FSM which made it super easy for me to do/understand on my first time, plus he has some helpful tips and tricks.

x2 on the wheel bearings, might as well replace them while your in there cause if they start to go after you tear everything apart and put it back together you're gonna be kicking yourself for not just replacing them then.
Something that's not necessary but what I did when I first got my troopy was just change every fluid/oil/filter on it, this just got me a bit more accustomed to the rig and working on it, on top of giving me a baseline on when to change them all in the future. Can't wait to see more pics and what you do with this rig in the future.

I managed to get the paperwork from the buyer of my PZJ70. Importer was a company called K-Shift out of Gardena, CA. No idea if they are still in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom