Builds '91 PZJ77 Money Pit in Flat White (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congratulations! Looks like a nice rig; I was tempted too but it was just too far away. The oil pressure gauges on 70-series LC's aren't very reliable, if you're concerned about oil pressure I would recommend installing an aftermarket gauge.

Some shudder on shutdown is normal, but if it is excessive I would definitely be looking at motor and transmission mounts. It is not unlikely that they are original to the vehicle, and in need of replacement.

Bottom end bearings were an issue on early 1HD-T engines, and apparently some 1HD-FT/FTE engines also, but I haven't heard of issues with the 1HZ or 1PZ BEB's. A good way to see if there are bearing issues would be to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

Like @Rigster mentioned check out the manuals in the Resources tab here, also take a look in the manual sticky in the Diesel Tech forum. There should be engine manuals, chassis and body manuals, and electrical manuals that include your model.
Can you recommend a good aftermarket oil pressure gauge?

Can you recommend a good aftermarket oil pressure gauge?
They are a tad pricey but Red Arc offers “multi-functional” gauges. I run an oil pressure / water temp combination.
The gauges also have programmable “alert features”. In this case the gauge turns red when it senses low pressure or high water temp.
3383BFB1-DFA6-453D-AB11-7E909A3F49F2.jpeg

Last edited:
They are a tad pricey but Red Arc offers “multi-functional” gauges. I run an oil pressure / water temp combination.
The gauges also have programmable “alert features”. In this case the gauge turns red when it senses low pressure or high water temp.View attachment 3095736
Where did you mount them? Was the install hard?

Where did you mount them? Was the install hard?
Sorry, I didn’t see your question until today. As you can see the gauges don’t photograph worth a darn due to glare.
All gauges are mounted in a dash top pod. (Oil pressure & water temp / boost and EGT / dual battery indication).
30FA9E44-7312-4F8B-8271-02958879CE94.jpeg

Sorry, I didn’t see your question until today. As you can see the gauges don’t photograph worth a darn due to glare.
All gauges are mounted in a dash top pod. (Oil pressure & water temp / boost and EGT / dual battery indication). View attachment 3096710
I really love these gauges... if I have to ever do this again, or replace the ones I have, I will definitely have a good hard look at these ones. :cheers:

All gauges are mounted in a dash top pod. (Oil pressure & water temp / boost and EGT / dual battery indication).

Was this your project? I have an used inclinometer pod and dash pad on order for this purpose. Those gauges look nice.

Was this your project? I have an used inclinometer pod and dash pad on order for this purpose. Those gauges look nice.
Thats my 79 Series. 😊

Last edited:
Does anyone know a good shop for fuel injector rebuild?

I replaced my fuel injectors yesterday. I ended up buying some rebuilt ones from Australia instead of sending mine off to be rebuilt. Cost just over $200 and a few hours of time. This was probably my most ambitious DIY car project so far, and I've got to say it was a giant relief when everything fired up perfectly!

1666361442763.png

For reference, I replaced my old 1PZ injectors with part number 23600-64050 even though my manual calls for 23600-19015. I looked at all the information I could on different injector part numbers and couldn't find any meaningful difference between 23600-19015 and 23600-64050. I did find out that not all 1HZ injectors are good replacements for 1PZ injectors. Some 1HZ injectors use different denso nozzles with different opening pressures. Based on my experience with this swap, I believe any 1HZ injector that uses DN20PD32 nozzles should be plug and play. I found this website to be a useful reference:

Toyota diesel injection reference

I did seem to notice a slight increase in power/smoothness. Unfortunately the plumes of black smoke any time I'm over 50% throttle continues. Might just need to adjust my injection pump now.

I'll post pictures of the different nozzles when I get home.

Well, I've seriosly screwed up. After installing the new injectors I kept getting air into my fuel lines, so I popped the hood. One of the injectors was not tight enough into the block and was leaking fuel (and I guess letting air in). I pulled the fuel line out and torqued on the nut holding the fuel return rail against the injector but since the injector was loose in the block, it just spun the whole assembly and snapped my fuel return rail...

They no longer manufacture 1PZ fuel return rails... I'm so frustrated right now, and I'm at a bit of a loss. Could I potentially order a 1hz rail, cut the last 1/6th of it off, solder it shut and be fine? Is there a way to DIY a return rail? Can I take it to a manufacturing shop and have them re-attach the rail to the sheared-off connection? Do I get in touch with one of the parts gurus in Japan?

japan4x4
you should ask OGBeno on here, he know his s*** when it comes to parts

Well, I replaced the fuel return rail of the 1PZ. I ended up ordering a fuel return rail for a 1HZ, chopping the last 1/6th off, and having my friend weld a bead to the end to keep it all nice and leak free.
image0.jpeg

This part of the operation worked. For future reference, if anyone needs a new fuel return rail for a 1PZ, just do what I did and chop the last bit off.

Unfortunately, my fuel delivery problems seem to persist. I confirmed that no fuel is bubbling out of the block like last time, everything is tight, but when I slow to idle after running the RPMs a bit, the RPMs drop and it sputters and dies. I might just need to bleed the fuel lines again, but I'm a bit worried that I screwed something else up, or that my fuel pump is giving up the ghost.

I never had this problem before trying to replace my injectors, so I either I broke something, or the new injectors are causing issues... any troubleshooting tips?

If you have RM172, check pages EM5 to EM9. There are troubleshooting tips there which also covers fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom