Engine Block Heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious, has anyone installed an engine block heater? As we get closer to the winter months I've been thinking more and more about installing one. My work has outlets at our parking spots for heaters to be plugged in, so I figured why not.

If so, what heater did you go with and how easy was the install?

Thanks!
Chris

I agree with that. The temps are typically around 0F or less around here in winter months. With the windchill dropping it well into the -10 to -20 rather easily.

I agree with that. The temps are typically around 0F or less around here in winter months. With the windchill dropping it well into the -10 to -20 rather easily.

Just FYI, whether it's 0F with no wind or 0F with 30mph wind, the vehicle will still be at 0F under both circumstances. Wind Chill only matters to people, not machines.

But to the question, when I lived in Maine I used a heater that was held magnetically to the bottom of the oil pan. It worked like a charm, should be well protected by the LC's skid plates, and is easy to install. Mine was similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-300-Watt-Handi-Heat-Magnetic/dp/B000I8YOR4

HTH

Edit to add: Youtube link:

Just FYI, whether it's 0F with no wind or 0F with 30mph wind, the vehicle will still be at 0F under both circumstances. Wind Chill only matters to people, not machines.

But to the question, when I lived in Maine I used a heater that was held magnetically to the bottom of the oil pan. It worked like a charm, should be well protected by the LC's skid plates, and is easy to install. Mine was similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-300-Watt-Handi-Heat-Magnetic/dp/B000I8YOR4

HTH

Maybe I was lucky, but...

-Even my higher-mileage 100 series..at 16 degrees below zero...with a NEAR-FAILING starter...gallon of milk frozen SOLID as stone overnight in a cooler...??
-The thing started right up on the first crank in this dead-of-Winter BLIZZARD in 2007:

0B8I0334.jpg

Apparently, no engine heater needed.

Maybe in Fairbanks, Alaska and 60 below? I don't know...but this was a 1999 with a failing starter and 180k miles. -No problem. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks! We didn't have any issues last winter but, was wondering what others were doing. Doesn't seem many have gone this route. All solid advice.

The OEM block heater is manufactured by Phillips Temro Zerostart. The part number I have is PU140-00902. The Zerostart number is 3100129. This is a cartridge unit for which many Toyota blocks have a cast in mounting hole, including the 3UR-FE. So it pops right into the block w/o having to break into the cooling system. The most difficult part is reaching the mounting hole.... Do-able on the ground, much easier on a lift.

Issue... this unit is only 400w. Nice size for a Prius, too small for the massive die-cast aluminum block in the Land Cruiser..enough to take the edge off on warmer winter days, but not when it's very cold and/or windy. The engine can't feel the wind chill, but the wind certainly increases the heat loss and substantially reduces the block heaters ability to perform the intended job.

I'm considering adding a second small block heater along with an oil pan heater... Both of which can be staged for operation as the temperature drop requires.

With today's oil options---what is the driving rationale for the heater? Is it improved confidence that it will start? Or is it engine self destruction owing to reduced oil flow at start up. If it is the latter, then I might opt for a pre-luber. I have installed them on a number of vehicles and they "made me feel good" but whether they were necessary remains open to question. No 110 required which can be a blessing.

You get hot air blowing faster plus you are using cheap electricity to heat the engine oil up instead of running the engine cold and burning excessive gasoline. I keep mine hooked up to a timer that clicks on 30 minutes before I leave for work.

A -100 windchill will overpower a diesel fuel heater and cause the fuel to gel up even if it's only -40 out.

Windchill matters to a running machine.

A -100 windchill will overpower a diesel fuel heater and cause the fuel to gel up even if it's only -40 out.

Windchill matters to a running machine.

Machines don't give a cr*p about windchill. -40 with zero wind and -40 with 40mph wind - both conditions are still just -40 to a machine.

Yup. It's science!

:clap:

Machines don't give a cr*p about windchill. -40 with zero wind and -40 with 40mph wind - both conditions are still just -40 to a machine.

Yup. It's science!

:clap:

It doesn't. But it does.

The issue isn't -40. The issue is that one is trying to heat something above ambient temp.

Convective heat transfer (loss) is not quite the same thing as windchill, but does exacerbate the issue just the same.

With today's oil options---what is the driving rationale for the heater? Is it improved confidence that it will start? Or is it engine self destruction owing to reduced oil flow at start up. If it is the latter, then I might opt for a pre-luber. I have installed them on a number of vehicles and they "made me feel good" but whether they were necessary remains open to question. No 110 required which can be a blessing.
Really if you look at the data it’s better for: gas mileage and reducing engine wear of you plug in at +20 (F). That said I don’t do it often until it gets in the single digits (F) and at <0 I also plug in my battery warmer, so it will start. At below -30 or -40 just keep it running 24/7 or no matter what it probably won’t start. The trucks that run the “slope” can run at times for months straight.

I installed the Toyota block heater in my ‘13 LX in ‘14 when I was traveling to central and northern AK regularly, I live in Anchorage. From what I remember it was easy. There is a hole you screw it into then run the outlet and secure the wires with zip ties. 30 min on a lift. I do most of my work on base at the auto hobby shop. Again from what I remember I would at least want 12” drive on ramps to do the install.

As per the windchill argument. Windchill is a made up human created thing. When it comes to inatimate objects air temp is what matters. And when air temp gets below -20 or so wind chill for a human is irrelevant because it’s just cold.

I’m getting my block heater and battery warmer installed tomorrow. Just in time for the cold snap here in Chicagoland. I’m using a two into one plug so I’ll only have one plug poking through the grill.

I'm bringing this up now, as I'm thinking of installing a block heater while I am doing some other stuff and I'll be changing the oil in a couple of weeks anyway. I don't want to be doing this in the freezing cold!

This is the heater I'm looking at:

Amazon product ASIN B004IHLY3I
Any better intel on where this magic hole is on the engine?

I'm also aware of the magnet oil pan heater. Wondering which is the better option, or if it matters.

I'm bringing this up now, as I'm thinking of installing a block heater while I am doing some other stuff and I'll be changing the oil in a couple of weeks anyway. I don't want to be doing this in the freezing cold!

This is the heater I'm looking at:

Amazon product ASIN B004IHLY3I
Any better intel on where this magic hole is on the engine?

I'm also aware of the magnet oil pan heater. Wondering which is the better option, or if it matters.
Sorry, old thread. The hole for the block heater is in the engine block behind the driver's side exhaust header.

I cut the wires to my block heaters on both my engines in my Charter boat. I now use Wolverine oil pan pads, they work like a charm, a 250 watt pad will keep your oil toasty warm and all that latent heat will rise up throughout you engine. I highly recommend them !

Sorry, old thread. The hole for the block heater is in the engine block behind the driver's side exhaust header.

Yup. Got the heater installed, running the cord to avoid the exhaust was the hardest part. And the cord provided isn't long enough to reach the bumper, had to extend it. I don't use it often, but it does seem to help when I do.

I just called a Toyota dealer in Anchorage to ask about block heaters. She said they no longer install them since the company who made them for Toyota went out of business. About 6 months ago.

They do still offer a “Fairbanks” package. Changing out all the fluids and installing battery and oil pan heaters.

What say you guys? Are block heaters essential for Fairbanks in the winter?
Though if so, I’m not sure what the options would be. Find an old one?

I just called a Toyota dealer in Anchorage to ask about block heaters. She said they no longer install them since the company who made them for Toyota went out of business. About 6 months ago.

They do still offer a “Fairbanks” package. Changing out all the fluids and installing battery and oil pan heaters.

What say you guys? Are block heaters essential for Fairbanks in the winter?
Though if so, I’m not sure what the options would be. Find an old one?
Do you live in Fairbanks? Moving there? If so I would say both a block heater and battery warmer are essential. Less so of you have a heated garage, but I wouldn’t live there without one. The Toyota/Lexus dealer in Anchorage is notoriously awful, I don’t believe anything they say. Have you tried calling a dealer in central Canada?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom