Fj62 Auto Trans Woes. Advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Nick

GOLD Star
Threads
Last Wednesday, I took a 400 mile round trip (cruising at 65-70 mph). Near the end of my trip when I came to a stoplight, I could smell burned ATF.

This is a remanufactured transmission (bought before I found this site) that I had installed 6 years ago (after the original failed completely at 157k).

So, on Saturday, I did a passive flush. Carefully measured the amount of fluid that I drained (drive/drain/fill x3 and added lubegard black). Put exactly the amount back in that I took out.

Yesterday, the trans wouldn’t engage first gear… or any gear. I let it warm up and it worked just fine. But got worried.

Started it up today (after checking atf fluid level, which was good). Wouldn’t shift into gear. Got out of the truck, crawled underneath and found this:

1D04E2D8-9A1E-48AE-BE5E-DC43528E3148.jpeg

Shut it down and ran for a bucket and snapped that pic. Is this a total gasket/seal failure?

Any advice? Am I screwed here?

Last edited:
Looks like front transmission seal failure. Not sure what it takes to rebuild auto trans these days, but you might want to look into converting it to manual transmission with a 5spd. Search on MUD. Good threads on how this is done. I have not heard good things about rebuilt auto transmissions on these trucks. Another option is to source a used auto transmission from someone that might have converted to manual transmission.

Looks like front transmission seal failure. Not sure what it takes to rebuild auto trans these days, but you might want to look into converting it to manual transmission with a 5spd. Search on MUD. Good threads on how this is done. I have not heard good things about rebuilt auto transmissions on these trucks. Another option is to source a used auto transmission from someone that might have converted to manual transmission.
Thanks, man. Figured it was the main seal/gasket. The big question is whether or not replacement of the gasket will get my tranny running again as it should. A rebuild will cost a mint, probably the same as the h55 swap. Ugh.

Edit: yes, I will also consider tracking down a used tranny. Thank you!

Last edited:
Anyone else have this gasket fail, replace it and have a functioning tranny again?

I would honestly use this as a excuse to swap transmissions…… am not super impressed with my rebuilt one, AND it’s costing a fortune to repair. It’s probably not going into gear because it’s low in ATF.

I would honestly use this as a excuse to swap transmissions…… am not super impressed with my rebuilt one, AND it’s costing a fortune to repair. It’s probably not going into gear because it’s low in ATF.
I’m thinking about it very seriously… the swap

Sounds like the pump seal let go, and the burning smell was ATF likely hitting the exhaust. Transmission likely stopped working because you ran out of fluid. That seal is a pretty cheap part, but the transmission does need to come off.
I’m ordering the seal tomorrow and will drop the trans. The interesting thing is that before I did the passive flush, the atf was filled to the proper mark when hot. But when I checked the dipstick it smelled totally burned. After the passive flush it ran like a top then failed the next day (and today the seal started spewing). Absolutely bummed by this. Followed the FSM to a T. And passive flush advice here. Probably exposed a flaw in the reman. unit. :( I’ll post up when I’m know more.

I am guessing the tranny ran low on fluid and that is why the burned smell? Maybe they installed the seal poorly? Before you drop a few thousand on a swap, I would replace that front seal and see how it does with fresh fluid and a new seal. The A440F is very sensitive to low transmission fluid.

I am guessing the tranny ran low on fluid and that is why the burned smell? Maybe they installed the seal poorly? Before you drop a few thousand on a swap, I would replace that front seal and see how it does with fresh fluid and a new seal. The A440F is very sensitive to low transmission fluid.
Thank you. Yes, that’s the first thing on my list. Fingers crossed!

And everyone presumes that a swap to the 5-speed is preferable to everybody. Not necessarily. It depends on your utilization. I thought I was going to a 5-speed...until I drove a steep, mountainous highway for an hour. I hope it's just your seal. Good luck.
Man, thank you! This is the first auto transmission vehicle I’ve owned and honestly, I like it a lot. Just trying to track down the pn for the seal.

Trying to track down the pn for that seal/gasket. If anyone has it, I’d sure be grateful.

Trying to track down the pn for that seal/gasket. If anyone has it, I’d sure be grateful.
This may be it: 90311-42010 . But it may be worth a call to Georg or Kurt to confirm :)

I’m thinking about it very seriously… the swap
I’m going to do it in my senior year of high school and hopefully have it for gad as a manual. Im either going to buy a kit or buy a whole truck, however it will need to be shipped from the USA. :/

This may be it: 90311-42010 . But it may be worth a call to Georg or Kurt to confirm :)
Thank you very much 🍻 I’ll follow up with those gents and roll with it.
Merry Christmas!

Thanks, man. Figured it was the main seal/gasket. The big question is whether or not replacement of the gasket will get my tranny running again as it should. A rebuild will cost a mint, probably the same as the h55 swap. Ugh.

Edit: yes, I will also consider tracking down a used tranny. Thank you!
Believer it or not, my total cost of converting to the H55F still came out almost two grand less than an A440F rebuild (with the obligatory tcase rebuild), larger torque converter and Nomad valve body. So without those two upgrades, about on par cost-wise with a stock auto rebuild. More than worth it IMO. The H55F is a joy to drive, even with the wearing synchros that mine is beginning to exhibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom