What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The boys at Victory 4x4 came through with the attic rack! So stoked to fill this thing up! Now I can get some of my excess gear off the floor. Almost all of it fits in my LL Bean rear seat organizer, but obviously I have too much lol.View attachment 2827394
Do you know the height of the storage space above the rack? and from the floor up to the rack?

Last edited:
Not off hand, but I can get you measurements when I return home in a few days. On a hiking trip currently and the Cruiser stayed home.
Thanks! I would really appreciate that. I have drawers installed with a fridge and want to be sure the shelf will clear and still leave enough room up on the shelf for the stuff I want to put up there. Have a great hike!

Thanks! I would really appreciate that. I have drawers installed with a fridge and want to be sure the shelf will clear and still leave enough room up on the shelf for the stuff I want to put up there. Have a great hike!
I'm trying to put one together that will tuck up as close to the headliner as possible while still maintaining enough distance to make it a useful storage area. I didn't want it hanging down level with the 2nd row headrests. I also made it deep enough to reach back to the D-pillars if it's adjusted to it's most rearward position. I sent mine off to powdercoat but should be getting it back and installed pretty soon.

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

I'm trying to put one together that will tuck up as close to the headliner as possible while still maintaining enough distance to make it a useful storage area. I didn't want it hanging down level with the 2nd row headrests. I also made it deep enough to reach back to the D-pillars if it's adjusted to it's most rearward position. I sent mine off to powdercoat but should be getting it back and installed pretty soon.

View attachment 2837017

View attachment 2837015

View attachment 2837016
Does the shelf require use of the pet/cargo barrier? Or can you just run the shelf without the barrier? My ideal would be having the shelf always installed, but be able to easily remove the pet/cargo barrier for ski season when the kids need to be able to reach back to the cargo area to get at their boots, coats, gloves, etc.

Does the shelf require use of the pet/cargo barrier? Or can you just run the shelf without the barrier? My ideal would be having the shelf always installed, but be able to easily remove the pet/cargo barrier for ski season when the kids need to be able to reach back to the cargo area to get at their boots, coats, gloves, etc.
I'm making it as a modular system. The shelf can be run by itself with the upper barrier that contours to the headliner. The lower barrier that drops below the headrests will be an option, as will side panels to cover the quarter panel windows. The lower barrier will also have different cut designs for those who don't want the large opening in the middle. In the future I may do a vertical barrier perpendicular to the shelf to split the cargo area in half for those who run one 3rd row and a single drawer.

That looks well built @TheForger . Is that aluminum? And do you have the link where we can read more about your product? Thank you.

That looks well built @TheForger . Is that aluminum? And do you have the link where we can read more about your product? Thank you.
It is galvanneal steel. Similar to hot-dipped galvanized, galvanneal steel has a zinc coating applied to it but it's much thinner. It's then put in a furnace to hit an annealing temp. It is specifically designed to take paint/primer/powdercoat exceptionally well. It's also very easy (and much less dangerous to your health) to weld than galvanized steel.

I haven't made any thread yet but I will soon. I'm waiting until I have the designs finalized, especially making sure to account for the powdercoat thickness and incorporating all the adjustability that I want. I have previously posted a couple times here including what it looks like without the lower 'pet' barrier

Been working on a new interior attic rack design for a while and finally got the second prototype installed. Still have some tweaks to make and several other accessory components (vertical barriers and quarter panel grids) to finalize but it’s getting close!

View attachment 2771659

Yes! Laser cut on an Amada Ensis 3015AJ fiber laser and bent using an Amada HD2204NT press brake using USA steel

View attachment 2771713

View attachment 2771726

Yes I have been seeing that and it’s an awesome solution! I’m trying to do something a little different by designing this as a “modular storage solution”. So not only will there be this shelf up top, but there will also be a vertical barrier that will drop down and hug the back of the second row, as well as side panels to cover the quarter panel windows. Almost an a la carte system. On top of that I’m making wall-mount brackets for home/garage applications

For those of you up here in the PNW with me, you'll be able to relate to the recent fun of the "atmospheric river" we've been experiencing, AKA days on end of dumping rain. I noticed a drip to the interior from both front corners of my sunroof that wasn't the seal to the truck body. It turned out to be the inner seal bonded to the glass itself. Water gets between the inner rubber and the glass and runs down into the front plastic bezel piece. Once enough water has built up there, it drips out the seam where the front and side interior trim bezels meet.

I was all ready to pull the trigger on a new glass as you can't get this rubber separate, but it looks like Mr. T wants $750 MSRP for one now, ouch! I'm going to try a bit of sealant first and see if that'll be enough to do it. If not, it looks like an early xmas gift for the cruiser.

glass01.jpg

Separation was the worst at the front center where the two pieces of this rubber meet. My driveway is level and with the forward rake of the suspension, this is always sitting underwater whenever it rains.

glass02.jpg

The rear join is just starting to separate, but not yet as bad as the front.

glass03.jpg

glass04.jpg

For those of you up here in the PNW with me, you'll be able to relate to the recent fun of the "atmospheric river" we've been experiencing, AKA days on end of dumping rain. I noticed a drip to the interior from both front corners of my sunroof that wasn't the seal to the truck body. It turned out to be the inner seal bonded to the glass itself. Water gets between the inner rubber and the glass and runs down into the front plastic bezel piece. Once enough water has built up there, it drips out the seam where the front and side interior trim bezels meet.

I was all ready to pull the trigger on a new glass as you can't get this rubber separate, but it looks like Mr. T wants $750 MSRP for one now, ouch! I'm going to try a bit of sealant first and see if that'll be enough to do it. If not, it looks like an early xmas gift for the cruiser.

glass01.jpg

Separation was the worst at the front center where the two pieces of this rubber meet. My driveway is level and with the forward rake of the suspension, this is always sitting underwater whenever it rains.

glass02.jpg

glass03.jpg

glass04.jpg
Creepy. I'm about three minutes from heading out in my driveway to give mine a similar treatment--after serious rain here last night, my very-used-to-old-cars wife said, "hey I noticed water dripping on the passenger side--sunroof?" Sure enough the removable trim (the piece you pull to get to the gold nuts) on that side had some water sitting in the channel, which had made its way out. Glad we had the sunshade pulled back so she could notice the drip.

I'm not planning on masking anything, or on removing the sunroof--just going to smear 3m windshield adhesive on there with a (gloved) finger and then use a razor blade to clean up any goo I cannot live with.

glass01.jpg

glass02.jpg

glass03.jpg

glass04.jpg
Keep us posted. I probably need to do something similar.

Keep us posted. I probably need to do something similar.
Will do! My biggest worry at this point is enough cure time for the sealant. I can probably convince my wife to keep her camry outside tonight, I've got the cruiser in the garage currently so I could pull the glass and work on it on my bench. We get a brief break from rain for a few hours tonight/tomorrow, but then right back to it so it won't take long to eval this fix.

I found a few threads on this when searching around, and bet it will be getting more common as our 100s get older. My seal has looked the same since I got the truck, but I bet it baked enough over our hot summer to have gotten just that much worse to the point I notice the drip now. I wonder if there's any DIY replacement options for that rubber, maybe someone knows of a specialty sunroof supply company or something that could source it?

I use a product that is sold by Honda named Shin Etsu grease to rejuvenate and maintain old weatherstrips and door seals. If it's not too far gone, this might help keep the seal feeling young.

glass01.jpg

glass02.jpg

glass03.jpg

glass04.jpg

Creepy. I'm about three minutes from heading out in my driveway to give mine a similar treatment--after serious rain here last night, my very-used-to-old-cars wife said, "hey I noticed water dripping on the passenger side--sunroof?" Sure enough the removable trim (the piece you pull to get to the gold nuts) on that side had some water sitting in the channel, which had made its way out. Glad we had the sunshade pulled back so she could notice the drip.

I'm not planning on masking anything, or on removing the sunroof--just going to smear 3m windshield adhesive on there with a (gloved) finger and then use a razor blade to clean up any goo I cannot live with.

I use a product that is sold by Honda named Shin Etsu grease to rejuvenate and maintain old weatherstrips and door seals. If it's not too far gone, this might help keep the seal feeling young.

Good call! I've got a tube of that, it's what Honda says I should use for my S2000 convertible top seals. I'll give that a go on the rest of it just to keep it from deteriorating worse. I wonder if this would help prevent the splitting of the two pieces of the rubber if used early and often enough. I think once you get the split, too late on that front, but maybe this can help folks with garaged or younger 100s.

I'm making it as a modular system. The shelf can be run by itself with the upper barrier that contours to the headliner. The lower barrier that drops below the headrests will be an option, as will side panels to cover the quarter panel windows. The lower barrier will also have different cut designs for those who don't want the large opening in the middle. In the future I may do a vertical barrier perpendicular to the shelf to split the cargo area in half for those who run one 3rd row and a single drawer.
Thanks for the info. That sounds great. What do you think your timing is to make start marketing this?

Thanks for the info. That sounds great. What do you think your timing is to make start marketing this?
Will try to get them together before Christmas. I really want some 'in stock' before I do a group buy

So just picked my 2000 (186k miles) up from the shop today after having a new front differential installed. Over the past couple weeks a whining sound developed when accelerating and decelerating and it was getting progressively worse. My initial thought was that it was just a pulley going bad or something but after doing some research on this site it became more apparent that something was up with the drivetrain. After seeing a leak in that general area my fears were mostly confirmed. So yeah, another $4,500 spent keeping this old girl alive. Also spent a good chuck of change earlier this year on a new radiator, timing belt, valve cover gaskets, rotors and tires (BFG K02s).

While contemplating all the money I've spent on her this year I decided to check out what LC's the local dealership had on the lot. They had one, a 2020 with 39K miles and they're asking $94K!!!! Ugh no thanks.. lol

So just picked my 2000 (186k miles) up from the shop today after having a new front differential installed. Over the past couple weeks a whining sound developed when accelerating and decelerating and it was getting progressively worse. My initial thought was that it was just a pulley going bad or something but after doing some research on this site it became more apparent that something was up with the drivetrain. After seeing a leak in that general area my fears were mostly confirmed. So yeah, another $4,500 spent keeping this old girl alive. Also spent a good chuck of change earlier this year on a new radiator, timing belt, valve cover gaskets, rotors and tires (BFG K02s).

While contemplating all the money I've spent on her this year I decided to check out what LC's the local dealership had on the lot. They had one, a 2020 with 39K miles and they're asking $94K!!!! Ugh no thanks.. lol
A front diff R&R cost $4500😬, or was there other work on that tab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom