Totaled my 200, I need some advice... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There was standing water in everything even after having it all open for days in AZ, Even the center console had a pool in the bottom and the pull out section.
Ah yeah, that’s probably not worth messing with.

How bout my original post....

Ha! A story like yours needs two posts! Only my opionion but almost drowning in a river with your wife and friend and thrashing your rig trumps LC vs LX decision as a talking point. But seriously once you get past this PITA you are all safe and have a great story to tell around the campfire. I was always warned as a kid to never camp next to small streams or rivers and look for the flood plain and stay well above it. I still annoy people when selecting a campsite. I have never had a "it did flood last night" experience. In fact you are the first real world story I've ever heard. Congrats? Thanks for validating my childhood paranoia.

There are great arguments for both LC and LX. They are both quality rides. It seems like you are leaning towards the LX. Could be an interesting change of pace?

One relatively minor but nice thing about the LX (at least on current models) vs the LC is that the center console cup holders are forward of the shifter on the LX instead of behind it on the LC. I've been finding that a 20oz tumbler in the cup holder on my LC can be a bit annoying when I need to shift.

Makes you respect those crazy Camel Trophy videos. Those LRs were basically boats in some of those challenges.

I think anyone who takes a Land Rover off the beaten track is either much braver than I, or foolish, or both. ;)

I think anyone who takes a Land Rover off the beaten track is either much braver than I, or foolish, or both. ;)
Yeah I wasnt giving an endorsement to land rovers more to the people who were driving them and repairing them. Pretty incredible what they got them to do. And I get there’s a huge technological jump in 30 years of electronics which creates issues but you look at one of the most reliable vehicles takes a big bath and basically is totaled compared to a vehicle known for questionable reliability taking a bath and then they have to keep going however many more miles in the jungle. It is not an apples to apples comparison but I am still impressed about those guys coaxing the vehicles on by hook or crook after becoming boats. No different then that top gear hilux this kind of accident just makes me think of that stuff.

HAHA - I resemble that remark... My D90 is headed out again this weekend to Uwharrie..
but in all fairness even the NAS D90 has minimal electronics (like just a fuel injection computer). I have had to remove mine and dry it out with alcohol after a couple of water crossings, but it lived. The Camel trucks had no electronics at all, the 200Tdi and 300Tdi engines only require 3 wires to run (and 10.2 volts if you're picky for the fuel injection) so submersing them makes almost no difference.
In a defender you can open up the door in the water because it doesn't matter, water will be coming in everywhere anyway.

One thing to consider in the future is having an accessible hi-lif, a jack mate and 20' of chain (and your winch gear accessible) so you can use it as a winch if your truck winch dies like in this case. Its not easy or fast but it does work and you can rig it with pulleys, etc.

Also the winch line alone can be used to make an anchor around a tree, just loop the line 4 or 5 times around the trunk and just loop the F55 over it, its called a Bite or a tensionless tree anchor, the ropes friction and contraction will keep it in place. we use this technique all the time for securing safety lines to trucks. Really you only want to do this under load in an emergency and should always use a tree strap if possible.

It's got big problems in lots of weird places... for example both seat heaters are on high even though the switches are turned off. The Fog lights are on even though the lights are off.

I left my windows open on my '11 in a driving rain overnight (I amd stupider than stupid) and after that, the head unit went bananas. and, guess what, my fog lights wouldn't turn off either. even when they were in the off switch. drained my battery. then some of the head unit buttons stopped working: climate, audio, etc. nightmare. I pulled a dick move and traded it in at a toyota dealer on a newer '14 that was cherry. water is death to electronics. unsalvageable IMO.

Last edited:
I saw this the other day posted on FB, everyone was going on about how tough the truck is. It probably made it to camp that night and woke up everyone with it’s lights flashing and horn honking from its electrical demon possession. I’ve had cars I’ve done dumb stuff in and some I’ve abused but this creek crossing is one step down from the demolition derby, there’s just no way that truck will ever be the same.

LX is SUPER nice, it is a sexy Land Cruiser.
My wife finally joined the club, few weeks ago she traded her honda odyssey for a well-used 2018 LX... best of all, I did not force her ;)
My 2016 200 is nice but not SUPER NICE and sexy~ but my soul & spirit feels at home in a Land Cruiser

I'm newish here but recently replaced my lifted GX470 with a 2013 one owner Texas LX570 with only 42k on it :)
I was looking for an LC but couldn't find a non-rust belt truck within my budget and now that I've had a few thou miles couldn't be happier with AHC!
It is by far the most versatile and well controlled 4x4 I've owned in the last 30 years and with 32's (275/65/ 18) it will go anywhere I need go and still gets 18mpg @75 on highway.
I say go LX!

Last edited:
Latest update.... after it being towed to a body shop where they said it is definitely a total loss but they cannot give an estimate due to my extensive modifications.....

it was then towed to a insurance auction or salvage yard. The salvage yard sent the insurance company pictures which they deemed were not enough and apparently the estimator can’t access the salvage yard to do an estimate or figure out what’s actually wrong with it so now they’re towing it to my dealer....

apparently so they can have some documentation from someone telling them how effed up it is...

And now I’m waiting another 3 to 5 days.

All Done, Toyota wrote up a $46000 repair order as it sits and told insurance if they wanted to know any additional status on the motor and drivetrain, they would need 33 hours of labor before they would start it.

I do have to say State Farm did me a solid on the amount after screwing around for a couple weeks. Once it was designated as a total loss, it took less than an hour.

All Done, Toyota wrote up a $46000 repair order as it sits and told insurance if they wanted to know any additional status on the motor and drivetrain, they would need 33 hours of labor before they would start it.

I do have to say State Farm did me a solid on the amount after screwing around for a couple weeks. Once it was designated as a total loss, it took less than an hour.
Congrats, now what? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom