What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (52 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not 100% sure on the alternator, this truck is new to me as of last spring, right when we all quit driving anywhere. Suspect original, though, truck's got ~240k on it.

0V...might be the regulator. I think it's built in to the alternator.

If it isn't your primary/daily, I'd start by pulling the alternator. If it's OEM, it might be worth rebuilding. If it's already been replaced with a parts store reman, then...just do that again.

Cool pictures. It's funny how capable these trucks are and/or can be made to be, chubby though they may be.

Thanks man. My only reference points are my old 60 series trucks and the triple-locked 80 that's usually in our group. I've got nothing on the 80 (of course), but the 100 has gotten me through WAY more stuff than I would have imagined possible. I never put the 60 to a real test—all I had available at the time were the backwoods in Alabama.

Had to fit a new National Luna fridge that replaced a Engel 45mt. I modified an existing fridge slide, changed out to longer 30” accu ride slides and welded up a an additional tray used the the original slide so I can get the fridge past the trailer threshold and RTT. Tested it out the refined it a bit.

6F058708-3B00-4484-8EE3-2E7A578D9918.jpeg

CF053F2B-DE1B-442E-8CD9-6B233C585E7F.jpeg

BEC27630-0847-43C1-AB44-68BC217FA706.png

Finally decided to burn some vacation time this week. (been maxed out for months) Oil change, tire rotation, park brake adjustment and greased the drive shafts. My almost 4 year old helped me out. Little guy had a is million questions. We discussed the intricacies of tires, brakes and differentials to name a few... 😂

72B66EA8-1F16-4BAA-871A-8B525195F2A1.jpeg

P.S. The Walmart here is selling Toyota filters as well.

Finished installing my CB today! I’m satisfied with how it looks and how easy it was overall. Now I just have to tune the antenna next week.

View attachment 2474954

View attachment 2474955

View attachment 2474956

View attachment 2474957

If you are going to be doing any off roading you might want to consider a spring between the antenna and your steel mount @codester. The height you have there may meet with a low branch and it may take that right off the Pittsburgh steel mount... I watched one come off a Wrangler over the weekend.

Trying to cram in as much off roading as possible before it's too cold for me. Canyonlands this weekend—Elephant Hill to exit at Bobby's Hole, Beef Basin back to Moab for the drive home.

Little on the fat side, but she fits.
View attachment 2477216

🥴

Love the line: "Fat but she fit..." Threading the needle...noice job.

Got an invite to the George Washington National Forest over the weekend. My buddies are all Jeep drivers so they thought I would just jump in with one of them... I wanted to see how she would do with the new Falkens and Rock Warriors... The AHC held things in High and we were in Low range, 1st and 2nd gear all 7 hours of the trip.

IMG_3365.jpg

The Bald Mountain Jeep Trail was a great first venture... The ASFIR belly pan saved our bacon as we attempted a large water crossing. The beast felt like I had beached a boat...

IMG_1424.jpg

She just spun all fours. My nose was out of the water so a quick snatch was affected w/o anyone getting their feet wet and we were off...

IMG_1381.jpg

There was a Jeep Only/Alternate Trail that got very tight turning with lots of elevation changes, low overhanging vegetation and Jeep width/narrow points so we came away with lots of scratches and scrapes from the hard wood bushes at the top of the mountain but no dents our bent metal...:steer:

The Jeep guys' wives complained of neck and back aches as their vehicles got pretty bounced around during the ride. One of the comments was the 470 looked like it just floated over the obstacles. 👻 Hell, my wife fell asleep for an hour...🤙 The Jeep ladies named her "Luxie Lexie" and the guys all came away with a new found respect for the Cruiser's performance. We were the only Cruiser on the mountain Saturday.

The Wintergreen 🎿 Resort was a very nice place to lay our heads after the event too... We rented a condo at the top of the Resort. Excellent first venture even with the OEM side steps still attached and unbroken... :cheers:

Cheers mates,
G

Got an invite to the George Washington National Forest over the weekend. My buddies are all Jeep drivers so they thought I would just jump in with one of them... I wanted to see how she would do with the new Falkens and Rock Warriors... The AHC held things in High and we were in Low range, 1st and 2nd gear all 7 hours of the trip.

View attachment 2477721

The Bald Mountain Jeep Trail was a great first venture... The ASFIR belly pan saved our bacon as we attempted a large water crossing. The beast felt like I had beached a boat...

View attachment 2477726

She just spun all fours. My nose was out of the water so a quick snatch was affected w/o anyone getting their feet wet and we were off...

View attachment 2477734

There was a Jeep Only/Alternate Trail that got very tight turning with lots of elevation changes, low overhanging vegetation and Jeep width/narrow points so we came away with lots of scratches and scrapes from the hard wood bushes at the top of the mountain but no dents our bent metal...:steer:

The Jeep guys' wives complained of neck and back aches as their vehicles got pretty bounced around during the ride. One of the comments was the 470 looked like it just floated over the obstacles. 👻 Hell, my wife fell asleep for an hour...🤙 The Jeep ladies named her "Luxie Lexie" and the guys all came away with a new found respect for the Cruiser's performance. We were the only Cruiser on the mountain Saturday.

The Wintergreen 🎿 Resort was a very nice place to lay our heads after the event too... We rented a condo at the top of the Resort. Excellent first venture even with the OEM side steps still attached and unbroken... :cheers:

Cheers mates,
G

She got pretty dirty from all ~8 total water crossings along the way...

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

The wait for air was the only gripe made by the Upper Half all trip. So it sounds like I'm cleared hot for a portable air compressor. :rofl:

IMG_3393.jpg

Great trip to be sure...

Cheers mates,
G

Spacers? What size rubber :) looks great!

Yes, the Spidertrax 1.25 hub centric modified by Slee...🤙

LT285/70R17. Cheers mate... :cheers:

They really kicked ass in the George Washington National Forest this past weekend...:steer:

No excuse needed, just do it! Add some OEM front mud flaps to finish the look.

I tried all day Saturday and failed to accidentally rip them off... :rofl:

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1407.JPG

I think this is the source of water on the driver side floorboard. I opened the A pillar trim to inspect the hose and its in great shape. Then removed the visor to look back as far as I could and found tis hard line. Now I have to figure out how to fix it without removing the headliner.
7264923B-580A-4416-9712-3FE0C545D8B4.jpeg

vice, torch, amazon.
3mm copper is too thick, for me at least.
16 gauge is what's in the pic. I could not find 14 gauge, which is 2mm. 16 gauge is 1.6mm
The lead clamp is the same that everyone buys. I wanted a stock main fusible link with stock cover but with the better clamp. That's what I came up with.
Lots of ways to kill that bird.

I'm in process of stitching on a Loncky steering wheel cover that my wife and kids got me at Father's Day. Yes, I go slow sometimes. Looks good, install is easy enough but kind of a pain in the butt. End result, as is par for the course for me, has a couple little things where I was learning the ropes on it. That said, it's definitely somewhere between "good enough for my woods truck build" and "actually really good looking," so I'll take it. $55-60 well spent, cleans up one of the most egregious "this is an old, old car" things from my interior, so... good stuff. I'll snap a pic this afternoon when I get the last section done.

Question:
Alternator died on me this week, finally and for real. Absolutely zero voltage change at the battery terminals with engine on and/or revved up vs not. Thoughts on a rebuild kit ($40ish) vs. just buying and sticking in a new alternator ($130ish minus a $25-30 core charge), and if a new one is warranted - does it make any sense to upgrade from the 80a to the 100a version for a stock-today-but-probably-not-always LX470?

New wheel cover-because I don't ever think about documenting anything, I didn't get a before shot. It was ragged.

Edit: the old one:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom