New Laser Cut Key w/ JDM VIN? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I parked my truck the other day and when I came out, I couldn't turn the key. I tried EVERYTHING. The steering wheel was locked, so that didn't help. I'm not super sure what's up, but I think it's either the ignition cylinder is broken or my key is just too worn out. I'm hesitant to think it's the key since I've had no issues before, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than replacing the cylinder. So before I go buying a new ignition cylinder, I'd like to try getting a new key cut. However, my 80 is a JDM import and the VIN number can never be found when they look it up here in the States.

So, two questions I guess:
1.) Can I get a new key cut with the JDM VIN at all? Anywhere?

2.) I have not been able to find a ignition cylinder with the internal laser cut that mine has (I'd like to be able to bring it to a lock smith and have them match it so the key still works for all the doors and ignition w/out having to have two keys). Is this possible?

Thanks for any help. It hurt my heart to see her on a tow truck...

So I parked my truck the other day and when I came out, I couldn't turn the key. I tried EVERYTHING. The steering wheel was locked, so that didn't help. I'm not super sure what's up, but I think it's either the ignition cylinder is broken or my key is just too worn out. I'm hesitant to think it's the key since I've had no issues before, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than replacing the cylinder. So before I go buying a new ignition cylinder, I'd like to try getting a new key cut. However, my 80 is a JDM import and the VIN number can never be found when they look it up here in the States.

2.) I have not been able to find a ignition cylinder with the internal laser cut that mine has (I'd like to be able to bring it to a lock smith and have them match it so the key still works for all the doors and ignition w/out having to have two keys). Is this possible?

I own a 91 HDJ81 and I sometime have to give the steering wheel a pull to get the ignition lock to release before the ignition will turn.

The dealership will do it with your VIN just bring your registration to a dealer and I paid $8.00

US dealers don’t do non-US VINs (attempted twice) and laser cut keys, typically for Lexus vehicles, were $42 last time I had it done.

US dealers don’t do non-US VINs (attempted twice) and laser cut keys, typically for Lexus vehicles, were $42 last time I had it done.

Yeah, I found that out real quick. And my key was too worn for them to cut a new one using the old one.

From everything I'm reading, it seems I'm going to need to take a flathead screwdriver to the ignition to get it into ACC so I can get the cylinder out, then get an after market cylinder with a key that doesn't match the rest of the truck...

Mine has been doing this lately.

The edges of the key are supposed to have a clear square edge and all mine are worn off.

I can get it to turn if I push it in more and wiggle it, with pushing down and toward the center of the truck.

Time for new keys to be cut. Good luck with getting a JDM key cut.

My first step would be to clean, flush, lube the lock. Use spray lube with a tube extension and a rag to catch the excess. Stick the extension into the lock and hose the junk out, insert key, attempt to turn, remove, several times, hose more junk out, repeat as needed.

My first step would be to clean, flush, lube the lock. Use spray lube with a tube extension and a rag to catch the excess. Stick the extension into the lock and hose the junk out, insert key, attempt to turn, remove, several times, hose more junk out, repeat as needed.

I've flushed it and tried a couple of times, but I feel like I need to do this a hundred more times. I've got blisters, but they'll heal; I'll feel the pain and regret of having two keys my whole life. If I can get the cylinder out without destroying it, I might be able to get a key cut from that. Maybe?

I've flushed it and tried a couple of times, but I feel like I need to do this a hundred more times. I've got blisters, but they'll heal; I'll feel the pain and regret of having two keys my whole life. If I can get the cylinder out without destroying it, I might be able to get a key cut from that. Maybe?

A good locksmith may help. have had them cut from a picture. They can get the code from looking, measuring the cut on the key.

Found this, FWIW:

If I lose my steering wheel I have to move it one way and hold it to turn the ignition.

You can buy a used set of locks and swap all of them.

I happen to have a complete lock set from a 97 lx450. Both front doors, ignition, glove box, hatch.
I can get you the complete ignition cylinder if you destroy yours. I have the VIN number so you can easily get keys too

The key code should be on the passenger door lock.

Can you tell me exactly where? I saw this on some other thread, but they didn't specify exactly where. I didn't see anything that stood out to me.

If I lose my steering wheel I have to move it one way and hold it to turn the ignition.

You can buy a used set of locks and swap all of them.

I happen to have a complete lock set from a 97 lx450. Both front doors, ignition, glove box, hatch.
I can get you the complete ignition cylinder if you destroy yours. I have the VIN number so you can easily get keys too

Mine doesn't have a glove box or rear hatch locks, but I'd totally be interested if it's the same ignition...

Edit: This seems like the most logical way.

Have to take the lock out of the door, stamped in the body of the lock. Shouldn't need it, a good locksmith should be able to read the code from your key.

What @Tools R Us is saying... I had to get to my passenger door lock cylinder with a usb endoscope camera to read mine. Got a locksmith out of texas to cut me two keys from it.

I think what you fellas are saying is the jam. I'll take a lock out and get the number, get a key cut, try it, and if it doesn't work, I'll take the screwdriver to it. Then I will try to get a matching set for the doors/ignition

Search
Keysfast based in Hamilton Ontario, cuts keys from a picture.
You need to sent a copy of registration.
I've used them twice now.

Have you rotated the steering wheel while trying to twist the key?

You may have, but you never said flat-out “steering lock isn’t the issue”.

The steering lock works great in my 80, it kept my sister from diving my 80 to Home Depot one day until she got me on the phone ;)

-She’d never had a steering lock ‘kick’ on her, so she never even knew about them. I was surprised as she’s mid-40’s & levelheaded.
But some people just never had one engage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom