Builds The Adventure begins: Building an Arkana FJ45 Troopy three door. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I first want to start off by blaming @Timbo FJ45 and @koxfarm for this crazy project that I got myself into and heading down this long dark road of rebuiding a Troopy, LOL. After seeing the Beautiful work both of them have done on their Troopys I was hooked and decided to follow suit in a little different direction but trying to get it as close to their beautiful work as possible. Cheers to both of you. I decided to build mine in between the both of them as to not stock but not a fully drivetrain transformed vehicle. So here goes with a little background:

I started looking at Troopys about 5 years ago thinking they were great looking vehicles and liked the extra room they had for Overlanding. They reminded me of being on Safari driving through the bush and setting up camp in the middle of Ngorongoro Crater or Uluru in the Outback.

I started looking on Gumtree Australia and found a 1983 FJ45 Green Troopy, luckily I have a friend from Australia who contacted a mate of his back home to take a look at it for me. Everything checked out and I found a transportation company specializing in transporting to and from Australia, I contacted Phil @AUStoUSA and couldn't have been happier. He took care of all of the paperwork, transporting, and stored in his warehouse in Charlotte until I could pick it up. He did a bang up job and I appreciate his patience for all of the questions and calls he answered. I flew up to Charlotte to pick it up and met Mike from @AUSto USA who checked it over before I got there and gave me a few things to help in the drive just in case. I drove it back from Charlotte to Orlando detouring threw the Northwest Mountains of North Carolina and North Georgia. I stopped and had all of the oils changed for the trip back and found out I needed a crossover hose between the trans and transfer case, the seal was definitely leaking in between. The guy at the oil change place was surprised with one having twice as much fluid as the other. The drive back was an adventure and a blast especially through the winding mountain roads, and cruising down the highway with people looking for the driver on the left side of the vehicle but not seeing one until they looked at the right side. I enjoyed taking my dog for rides with her sitting in the left seat and watching peoples expressions looking at her in that seat, a German Sheppard-Border Collie mix.

After driving this Troopy for a while, no PS, no AC, I saw another Troopy on Gumtree, an Arkana with a raised roof, custom third door, PS, A/C, and dual fuel, Gas and LP, this is the one I had to have, so again I rang up Phil and talked to him about going out to inspect it and let me know. Not only did he have it inspected he got the asking price down for me. I cannot say enough about Phil and his company @AUStoUSA for his honesty and reliability for purchasing and transporting a vehicle like this. So now it was time to say goodbye to Old Greenie which went to a good home in Colorado.

So here we go with pictures of the 3 door when it got here and will be following up with teardown pictures later. It is going to be taken down to the bare bones, stripped, powdercoated, zinc coated, rebuilt, remanufactured, and anything else I can think of for the completion of this beast for the Expedition vehicle I have in my mind. I know it is a scary thing right. Also is is a great pleasure being on mud and associated with all of the great people on here, I have learned a lot and appreciated dealing with a bunch of you.

Cheers, Geoff.

DSC03448.JPG
DSC03450.JPG
DSC03455.JPG
DSC03456.JPG
DSC03458.JPG

Geoff,

Nice rig, will definately watch your build. If you have a chance could you take a picture of the third door open, curious how the floor was done. Always wanted to do a 3rd door on my Troopy!

Geoff,

Nice rig, will definately watch your build. If you have a chance could you take a picture of the third door open, curious how the floor was done. Always wanted to do a 3rd door on my Troopy!

Thanks Whitey, here's a good shot of the floor for the third door. Cheers.

DSC03823.JPG

Geoff,

Interesting construction. I'm wondering if Arkana made new fenders, aprons, rear ambo doors, and bib out of galvanized steel along with the added door, or maybe just had the originals dipped? Also is the second row floor dropped and cut-around the existing fuel tank, or did they locate a different tank further back under the body?

GLWP

I admire your determination and perseverance obtaining this truly great outlander vehicle the TROOPY.
You presented a story so much alike the philosophy of the 40’ series to explore the terrain unknown and to cut through all obstacles and that’s exactly what you did.
Have much joy and happyness keeping her on the go, these days there are every necessary part available to do so, thanks to @Racer65 in the US.
If you ever need an engine replacement you should consider the 3F that drops in just exact.
Again, Congratulation and put up some more pics please.

Geoff,

Interesting construction. I'm wondering if Arkana made new fenders, aprons, rear ambo doors, and bib out of galvanized steel along with the added door, or maybe just had the originals dipped? Also is the second row floor dropped and cut-around the existing fuel tank, or did they locate a different tank further back under the body?

GLWP

Bear,

The previous owner in Aus, was the one who had a lot of the parts galvanized, he drove back and forth across the Outback for work and did this to keep it from rusting. The floor was cut out around the stock fuel tank, it also had another tank in the rear. Thanks.

I admire your determination and perseverance obtaining this truly great outlander vehicle the TROOPY.
You presented a story so much alike the philosophy of the 40’ series to explore the terrain unknown and to cut through all obstacles and that’s exactly what you did.
Have much joy and happyness keeping her on the go, these days there are every necessary part available to do so, thanks to @Racer65 in the US.
If you ever need an engine replacement you should consider the 3F that drops in just exact.
Again, Congratulation and put up some more pics please.

Thanks Andy for the kind words and for recommending racer65 earlier as I have already found and ordered some hard to find parts from him. Again you have done a fantastic job with your Troopy and thanks for the inspiration. Cheers.

Wow, really glad you went with the second one--looks like a really good starting palette; I will be following:beer:

Those 3rd door hinges look like rear door hinges off Defenders.

-Geoff

Hey Geoff, nice name LOL, from what I have seen of the few other Arkanas with 3 or 4 doors those are the hinges they used, I will have to look at some pics of Defenders for spares if I need them. It is a pretty nice hinge that is spring loaded to keep tension on it I guess to eliminate sag and keep it lined up. Cheers.

Hey Geoff, nice name LOL, from what I have seen of the few other Arkanas with 3 or 4 doors those are the hinges they used, I will have to look at some pics of Defenders for spares if I need them. It is a pretty nice hinge that is spring loaded to keep tension on it I guess to eliminate sag and keep it lined up. Cheers.
Here are rear defender hinges from one that's in the shop right now. Couldn't see yours up close but these look pretty close.

-Geoff

20180908_170408.jpg

20180908_170414.jpg

The engine compartment, A/C, P/S, the yellow bottle on the firewall is a suction bottle for adding an additive into the intake for unleaded fuels for lubrication I am thinking, and a lot of Australian red dirt everywhere.
DSC03467.JPG

Here it is minus the roof rack.
DSC03492.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom