Gauges... EGT, Boost then? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
13BT, 5spd, getting rebuilt

I know from diesel ownership that EGT is a must, Boost is helpful but what would you put next if you were doing a 3 gauge pod? water temp or oil pressure? Or do you skip boost and go EGT, Water then Oil temp.
I'm leaning towards oil pressure because this will be a new build so that will make things go much quicker south than water temp.

I haven't seen any combo gauges that I really like the look of but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm guessing with EGT to go pre-turbo especially since it's all apart and would be easy to do.

Check out Westach gauges. On a previous truck, I had a 4" 4 gauge combo displaying Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp.

In my opinion a boost gauge is strictly "eye candy". (cool to look at but not necessary). EGT is a MUST and I would certainly add a good aftermarket water temp gauge. (I've never trusted the factory water temp. gauges). Oil pressure is nice if you have room but not a necessity in my opinion. (Virtually every Cruiser I have owned has had far better oil pressure than the factory gauge indicated)

Last edited:
Whatever you do not get the gloshift gauges, they are junk. I like the VEI systems, they have dual function ones that could display a combo of two various things.

^^^this (@Gun Runner 5’s post)

Boost gauges are for wrenchers proficient in playing with a boost controller or wastegates/aftermarket turbos...probably not what the average Joe would be doing with a 13B-T.

I went with pyro, oil pressure and water temp gauges from ISSPRO, mounted in the altimeter dash pod.

And yes to pre-turbo pyrometer probe placement.

B3F40624-9719-4F20-8783-4D889844BAE3.jpeg

What Jason said. ISSPRO gauges are the bees knees.

the second gen it's actually good ( not sure about the first gen ) and also have a set of Glow Shift and against my own ( they are junk ) predictions are doing a great job so far ( years now )

Check out Westach gauges. On a previous truck, I had a 4" 4 gauge combo displaying Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp.

I will check them out, I'm not overly familiar with Westach gauges.

In my opinion a boost gauge is strictly "eye candy". (cool to look at but not necessary). EGT is a MUST and I would certainly add a good aftermarket water temp gauge. (I've never trusted the factory water temp. gauges). Oil pressure is nice if you have room but not a necessity in my opinion. (Virtually every Cruiser I have owned has had far better oil pressure than the factory gauge indicated)

Yeah, it's basically a fund gauge but is useful if you are having power issues or turbo problems. I'm just thinking a new build I might really want to keep an eye on vitals.

Whatever you do not get the gloshift gauges, they are junk. I like the VEI systems, they have dual function ones that could display a combo of two various things.

I will check out VEI. I like analog gauges on my older diesels...mainly just for looks, reliability and that whole EMP post zombie apocalypse ability to bug out. ;)

I agree with that, I have never liked the look of those gauges and have heard they are so so .

^^^this (@Gun Runner 5’s post)

Boost gauges are for wrenchers proficient in playing with a boost controller or wastegates/aftermarket turbos...probably not what the average Joe would be doing with a 13B-T.

I went with pyro, oil pressure and water temp gauges from ISSPRO, mounted in the altimeter dash pod.

And yes to pre-turbo pyrometer probe placement.

I really like that dash pod setup. I believe the 74 I'm getting doesn't have that gauge. I'm assuming I can find one used or new to add to the dash. I don't mind the second DIN spot but would prefer a dash pod.

I used those exact gauges, only a temp trans gauge instead of oil on an excursion 7.3l I had. Don't get me started on that POS with 90k miles. The gauges however did allow me to see that my transmission was taking a dump as soon as we left California heading home to Colorado. All fairness it got us home...barely...but left us stranded 2 other times. Thats what I get for eschewing Land Cruisers that I had always used.

I disagree on not needing the boost gauge, for one if you are getting gauges installed one more is not a big deal, and boost can tell you a lot about the health of the engine and/or turbo before things turn catastrophic. So it may just like the oil pressure, you don't really need it until there is a problem

I disagree on not needing the boost gauge, for one if you are getting gauges installed one more is not a big deal, and boost can tell you a lot about the health of the engine and/or turbo before things turn catastrophic. So it may just like the oil pressure, you don't really need it until there is a problem

75% of 7x series owners can barely tell you how to get their truck in the low range let alone what a boost gauge is and what it does.

75% of 7x series owners can barely tell you how to get their truck in the low range let alone what a boost gauge is and what it does.

:rofl: Well I guess that puts me in the 25%. I will say I like information, but having 5 or 6 gauges I don't really like cluttering up the dash. I suppose a couple of dual gauges would be ok.

I prefer oil temperature over coolant temperature (the stock gauge works well enough)... pistons are oil cooled.

I have been reading about that, and I might want to go that direction due to the fact there is a semi-useful factory water temp.

I wish my 70 was that problem free that all I had to know about it is how to get it into low range.

:rofl: Well I guess that puts me in the 25%. I will say I like information, but having 5 or 6 gauges I don't really like cluttering up the dash. I suppose a couple of dual gauges would be ok.

I have been reading about that, and I might want to go that direction due to the fact there is a semi-useful factory water temp.

I agree, I have two dual combo gauges egt,boost, oil pressure, and temp so its not all that cluttered.

This is the point where you're starting to ask yourself why did I ask for opinions in the first place. :)

This is the point where you're starting to ask yourself why did I ask for opinions in the first place. :)

I figured this was a fairly safe question without too many options...then again.

I do like information and options so it's good to see whats happened since I was last building rigs.

I like info. Wish someone could come up with more accurate guages to replace the factory ones and keep the factory look. But the factory ones work fine once you get to know where they sit normally, then if something looks out of place, heads up.

View attachment 1762981
I think it's time to switch back to the front fuel tank. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom