City Racer 16” wheels with Yokohama M/T G2003s and KM3 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keeping with the City Racer theme in this thread, for comparison I also now have the BFG KM3 equivalent for my FJ45

BFG decided to release their tire in a 750r-16 variant.

I was expecting it to be bigger than their 235/85-16 KO2 but was not expecting it to be as big as the Yokohama’s.

They are very close to the Yokohama’s in dimension

5320F333-FCD0-4E9C-B803-F6F35DE4737E.jpeg

44637B5D-EE50-4225-A306-07D5C9E6F4C2.jpeg

15” to hub center from ground

BD67B12C-7B4A-41DF-9D2B-F246DE6103CD.jpeg

8.5” wide but the contact patch is about 7”....the Yokohama thread comes out further for what it’s worth

E69E17B0-2BE9-45A2-AC15-CB5D456BA5D5.jpeg

They fit just fine with no rubbing on my throughly hammered 51 year old FJ45 Springs.

Nice and narrow so the truck still steers and tracks excellent

Looking forward to a long term comparison.

Hard to believe we have all these great choices for our old rigs. The retro looks with the non square tire feel. Plus choices. Thanks for sharing this info.

Thanks for sharing Nolen, that is a great tire size and it's nice to see tire companies finally making more practical and useful sizes like the 235/85 for this niche market. Good to see BFG with the 750r16 and both them and the Yokohama are true to size. Very surprising really.

@wngrog - Any additional thoughts or updated opinions between the KM3's and the Yoko's? I'm sure you've barely had a chance to even wear them in but I just placed my order with CityRacer so it's decision time. Looks like the BFG's can be had for about $100 less for a set of 5 but that's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Year I don’t have a ton of miles on either but from the looks I like the Yokohama better. Size. More robust tread pattern. They are so quiet.

Like...A/T quiet? "M/T" and "Quiet" are not usually involved in the same sentence without some sort of negative qualifier involved...

Again, they are now but they are new.

On the exact rim and pressure and roughly the same weight truck the Yokohama’s are noticeably quieter than the KM3s

Also love the siping.

Well, My City Racer wheels are en-route, and I found too good a deal on 7.5R16's KM3's to pass up - the money saved over the Geolandar's was enough to cover hubcaps and a chunk of mounting and balancing to boot. So, cold hard cash made the determination - so I'll need to just continue to be jealous of your Geolandar's for the time being. Seems like the KM3's have been getting positive reviews, so I'm eager to see how these all pan out over the next couple years.

Congrats. They are a great tire. I bumped around on mine in the Goat yesterday. It rides so much better than with the 700-15 bias.

EC8CBFF2-906A-431B-8238-B2DEE5788735.jpeg

It rides so much better than with the 700-15 bias.

I would certainly hope so! I was hard pressed to resist the urge to buy some 34x9.5 swampers - I love how they look but this truck realistically spends more time on the road than in the mud, wasn't sure I could live with flat-spotting and the other joys of bias ply.

I just put the Yokohamas on my cruiser after hearing about them and then stumbling onto this thread.

In the short distance I have driven them, they have been very quiet and smooth. I’m leaving for a 600 mile round trip to Arkansas today for the weekend and then out to Colorado on Monday so I will quickly be getting some miles on these.

My previous set of tires, Kenda Klevers (stay away), didn’t seem loud or rough, but it’s night and day with these new Yokohamas. The Kendas also had a lot of chunking and cracking going on along with some internal sidewall damage so it will be interesting to see how these Yokohamas hold up. I would expect the rubber used in these to be much nicer than the Kendas.

7600B200-201E-4DA7-9509-AEC09B331C17.jpeg

5D6DE376-6BB5-47EE-95CF-C032AE935241.jpeg

@SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr Are those 315/75r16?

Can you measure the tread cross section by diameter?

I just put the Yokohamas on my cruiser after hearing about them and then stumbling onto this thread.

In the short distance I have driven them, they have been very quiet and smooth. I’m leaving for a 600 mile round trip to Arkansas today for the weekend and then out to Colorado on Monday so I will quickly be getting some miles on these.

My previous set of tires, Kenda Klevers (stay away), didn’t seem loud or rough, but it’s night and day with these new Yokohamas. The Kendas also had a lot of chunking and cracking going on along with some internal sidewall damage so it will be interesting to see how these Yokohamas hold up. I would expect the rubber used in these to be much nicer than the Kendas.

View attachment 1758965

View attachment 1758966

They are 35x12.5r17s on 7.5” wide FJ cruiser wheels. I’m about to leave, but if I have time to measure on Sunday I will. I’ve got two separate trips with minor time between to get things done.

Sorry for the massive delay, but I just measured the top tread cross section of my 35x12.5r17 on a 7.5” rim. From outside of lug to outside of lug, the max width is 10.5”.

Side note, while rotating I caught myself reading the tires and saw that they were made in Japan. I didn’t know that and thought that was interesting.

C15382CE-7C79-4D54-B655-6C742186543B.jpeg

With nearly 4K miles on them, a lot highway but several hundred alone of rocks and gravel, they’re a little scarred up but nothing deep. Just superficial little spots.
53FC80D4-0BE9-4841-A317-BB2B8F9CA2C7.jpeg

3E34603B-3135-4D18-A554-5320B09543F7.jpeg

@SUMMIT CRUISERS are they still quiet? Mine are but I’ve only got about 1000 miles on them

Yeah they are still quiet...unfortunately...I’m now hearing some slight sound coming from my transfer case shift knob which has started bugging me. The only time they are audibly loud is when really pushing it through corners.

I just rotated all 5 and I’m heading out to Arkansas tomorrow but I’m hoping they’ll still be quiet. If they aren’t I’ll chime back in here

Yeah they are still quiet...unfortunately...I’m now hearing some slight sound coming from my transfer case shift knob which has started bugging me. The only time they are audibly loud is when really pushing it through corners.

I just rotated all 5 and I’m heading out to Arkansas tomorrow but I’m hoping they’ll still be quiet. If they aren’t I’ll chime back in here

Cruiser Crawl? If so look me up. I’ll be in my 40

Cruiser Crawl? If so look me up. I’ll be in my 40

I wish. I stumbled into it last year when I was in the area, but I’m headed to NWA for a biking trip that’s been planned for awhile.

Sorry for the massive delay, but I just measured the top tread cross section of my 35x12.5r17 on a 7.5” rim. From outside of lug to outside of lug, the max width is 10.5”.

Side note, while rotating I caught myself reading the tires and saw that they were made in Japan. I didn’t know that and thought that was interesting.

View attachment 1808253

With nearly 4K miles on them, a lot highway but several hundred alone of rocks and gravel, they’re a little scarred up but nothing deep. Just superficial little spots.
View attachment 1808254

View attachment 1808249

Good info. Thank you for sharing feedback. I have some KM2s that will need replacing soon and hoping to get into a narrower 315 or 35" tire than the usual 12.5 width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom