Dial gauge use for diesel injector pump timing and brake rotor run-out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't have a dial-gauge or really know how to use one, but I can think of two jobs straight off the top of my head that use one - setting timing for an injector pump on a diesel motor, and checking brake rotor run-out.

Can someone give some advice on what kind of dial gauge to use for each of those jobs, and how to use it to do the jobs?

I don't have a dial-gauge or really know how to use one, but I can think of two jobs straight off the top of my head that use one - setting timing for an injector pump on a diesel motor, and checking brake rotor run-out.

Can someone give some advice on what kind of dial gauge to use for each of those jobs, and how to use it to do the jobs?

Not sure about the brakes, but i just recently did the timing on my pump and I used the SST that's referenced in the fsm in conjunction with a Teclock dial. My dial originally didn't fit the sst, because the clamp opening was too small for the dial mount, but since I got it free, i wasnt going to argue. It was a Teclock 0-1" standard dial, however, it did allow for full movement of the pin, others that i looked at didn't allow for enough travel of the measuring pin to work with the sst. A friendly machine shop customer of mine opened the hole up gently so the dial would fit in the clamp.

From research, you want a 0-5mm gauge, which will likely end up being a smaller form that would fit without modification.

The service manual is pretty clear about how to do it the actual testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom