Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah, thank you both for the clarification. And what was Greg saying about using it on glass?

Ah, thank you both for the clarification. And what was Greg saying about using it on glass?
It will take water spots off the glass and make it really smooth for your wipers. I have found that 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner works really well also.

Yeah basically what @2mountainfish said. When I did it I had a small bucket with soapy water that I would occasionally put the clay and and pour a little on the window (acts as lubricant). Then went to town as though I was color sanding the glass. The results are that it pulls all the road grime and somewhat embedded dirt out of the glass surface changing how water skates across it. It CAN remove small scratches but will also show you where you have pitting in the glass. This can be felt by just how the clay bar changes feel as it moves across the glass. You want to keep going, kneading and folding over the clay constantly, until you can pretty much skate the bar of a section and not have it catch or rub.

Lots of videos on YouTube about it and restoring glass.

Did you decide on wheels or tires yet? What style are you going for? Mickey Thompson classic 2s are a great looking wheel on a 60. I used American racing ar969 on my 40. You can see it in my build thread in the hardcore section. They are a classic wheel with updated looks I guess you would say. They would also look good on a 60

Last edited:
Did you decide on wheels or tires yet? What style are you going for? Mickey Thompson classic 2s are a great looking wheel on a 60. I used American racing ar969 on my 40. You can see it in my build thread in the hardcore section. They are a classic wheel with updated looks I guess you would say.
Very nice. Those are both good looking wheels. Pretty big backspace on the ar969s. I don't know how many hours I have spent looking at wheels, not really my forte in life. The matte black Eagle Alloy 100s keep catching my eye. Then that leads to searching metric tire sizes since it's a bump to a 16...then back to...what's on there doesn't look bad I suppose, I guess I need to decide what this thing wants to be when it grows up.

Just looked through your 40 build, that is some excellent work. Good stuff.

The revival of a left for dead classic car always makes me smile. This effort of your is a cut above - well done.

I decided to convert the FJ60 from 15" to 16" wheels. Went with the Toyota factory 70 Series (I think) wheel. The tires are 235 85R 16.

I tend to like things on the plain side this wheels are that. I have zero interest in using spacers or other gadgets to make a wheel work.

007.JPG

The revival of a left for dead classic car always makes me smile. This effort of your is a cut above - well done.

I decided to convert the FJ60 from 15" to 16" wheels. Went with the Toyota factory 70 Series (I think) wheel. The tires are 235 85R 16.

I tend to like things on the plain side this wheels are that. I have zero interest in using spacers or other gadgets to make a wheel work.

View attachment 1610060
Thanks. That is a sharp looking setup. I agree with the plain look, I don't want anything that will stand out and be noticeably different than everything else. Few things change the look of a rig more than the wheels.

How do you like the shackle reversal? I have noticed just from my short test drives that this suspension is much softer than my 60s. Eats the bumps up very well.

RE the shackle reversal: The suspension was done by previous owner and mud member alpendubber so I cannot make a before/after comparison for this vehicle. I do know this - compared to my stock FJ40 this 60 rides like a Cadillac.

Last edited:
Performed a Rodney flush and pumped out some pretty funky fluid then started getting some longer test drives on the back roads, 3rd gear slips pretty good. I was pretty hopeful it was just sticky valves. Put in a bottle of Seafoam and kept taking little drives. 3rd never really grabs. I can really feather it to grab but any additional force just spins. Went through most of the FSM checks, torque converter checks good and the checks that don't involve shifting into 3rd or higher check good....adjusted the throttle cable numerous times, did the Party trick, took some reading and studying the FSM to build up the nerve. Kind of a pressurized flush. No luck though. Gets a little worse as the ATF heats up. So here is where I'm at...

IMG_8902.JPG

...and this guy didn't pull through, he died yesterday but I'm just making sure he's not faking it.

IMG_8903.JPG

Last edited:
Dude. You rebuilding the auto?

Dude. You rebuilding the auto?
Yep, rebuilding the auto. A master kit with clutches and plates only runs about $380...calling today to see if that includes the valve body gaskets, two of them are NLA from Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom