Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Auto transmissions are just ridiculous.

Sub assemblies are pulled and the various clutch disks I've gotten a look at are basically slicks. Next step is to send the case out for cleaning, clean up the work area to sterile conditions and wait for the kit.

IMG_8931.JPG

If that's the fluid in your green container that came out of the tranny that's some dark stuff! I bet the smell lingers in the nose a little. Congrats on tackling an auto tranny.

Those white rectangles, are they the plates?
The ones on the jack? Those are just plates that came with the jack. The plates look like this with the clutch disks.

IMG_8946.JPG

If that's the fluid in your green container that came out of the tranny that's some dark stuff! I bet the smell lingers in the nose a little. Congrats on tackling an auto tranny.
What's on the floor to the left in the pic is pretty much the color of what came out...but yeah, even after the Rodney flush I was surprised at how dirty it still was in there. Nasty smell for sure, even straight out of the jug the stuff smells bad. This will be my 2nd solo auto rebuild and fourth overall. While I'm waiting on the kit I'm going to reassemble and disassemble one more time ...practice run.

Be sure to fill us picture whores w/ a good view!

I put on a Hayden plate/fun type. I don’t think it’s the biggest one I could fit, but the model recommended on the thread in the FAQ. It works well. I also found that the flex lines between the the sets of hard lines under the truck had just enough “twist memory” in them that it crimped the flow of fluid to and from the rad. After fixing that, and adding the cooler, I have not had the AT temp light come on again. And it’s been loaded, and used a few times since!

It is used to clean all of the impurities from the painted surface so it will shin more. Generally only used on clear coat paint jobs that are in decent shape. It may work on single stage paints also, though I have never tried.

This post is moving so fast, I can't keep up. Back to the clay bar for single stage paint. Yes, it makes the paint on my 80 series shine like a mirror. Sorry, no pictures.

I put on a Hayden plate/fun type. I don’t think it’s the biggest one I could fit, but the model recommended on the thread in the FAQ. It works well. I also found that the flex lines between the the sets of hard lines under the truck had just enough “twist memory” in them that it crimped the flow of fluid to and from the rad. After fixing that, and adding the cooler, I have not had the AT temp light come on again. And it’s been loaded, and used a few times since!
Are you running it with the stock cooler or stand alone?

With the stock cooler: out of the trans to: in the bottom of the radiator; out of the bottom of the Radiator to: in the Hayden to ( located in front of the condenser behind the grill) to: out of the Hayden to: back into the trans.

At first I had the Hayden centered behind the grill. Then I moved it to passenger side of center. I moved it because I noticed a change in how often I heard the fan clutch working. It seems to work more after I put in the Hayden. This makes sense to me if the Hayden is dumping heat from the trans, and the clutch is temp controlled. I also thought I had changed the airflow too much through the condenser because I was not getting much cooling from the A/C. Turns out the Hayden had nothing to do with that issue. There was a leak in the a/c system. Once fixed and charged, all systems were good. This summer was cold a/c and no AT Temp lights!

As I continue to add weight to the rig, and the kids get bigger, I might look into a larger Hayden. If you’re shopping now, don’t overlook figuring out the biggest unit you can fit in there!
If these transmissions are cool, they are happy. Damn slow, but happy. (I hope this info helps!)

With the stock cooler: out of the trans to: in the bottom of the radiator; out of the bottom of the Radiator to: in the Hayden to ( located in front of the condenser behind the grill) to: out of the Hayden to: back into the trans.

At first I had the Hayden centered behind the grill. Then I moved it to passenger side of center. I moved it because I noticed a change in how often I heard the fan clutch working. It seems to work more after I put in the Hayden. This makes sense to me if the Hayden is dumping heat from the trans, and the clutch is temp controlled. I also thought I had changed the airflow too much through the condenser because I was not getting much cooling from the A/C. Turns out the Hayden had nothing to do with that issue. There was a leak in the a/c system. Once fixed and charged, all systems were good. This summer was cold a/c and no AT Temp lights!

As I continue to add weight to the rig, and the kids get bigger, I might look into a larger Hayden. If you’re shopping now, don’t overlook figuring out the biggest unit you can fit in there!
If these transmissions are cool, they are happy. Damn slow, but happy. (I hope this info helps!)
Great info, Thanks.

When I was taking the components out, this step really confused me at first because the front and rear clutch assemblies came out as one piece

IMG_8953.JPG

Tonight as I'm doing the practice run, I go to separate them and they're pretty stuck...do a lot of wiggling and jiggling...it starts to separate a little and I can hear rattling

IMG_8952.JPG

So now I'm sitting here fishing bent springs out of the hole with a scribe

IMG_8955.JPG

Kind of hard to tell from the pics but all the plates and disks are concave. I bet this thing was about to grenade in there. Maybe when the TC bit the dust it blew the snap ring off in here.

IMG_8961.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG

Wow. That’s just so cool to see. Great shots. Totally fills my visual love of learning. Thanks!
Quite the undertaking. Kudos as usual.

0FE6E15A-8CD4-462F-ACC3-DC5033DD5501.jpeg

So those springs are NLA, Georg referred me to ACC in Atlanta. Talked to them yesterday and they may have some. I started looking at the A442 IPB and that spring pack may have the same springs. The A442 FSM doesn't have you measure them like the A440 does so I don't know if they are the same length. That assembly is still available though so I ordered one and we'll see. The kit will be here today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom