Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a ton of FIPG if you are in the area. OEM is the only way to go. I have used the 4 piece gaskets and they were the biggest pain that I have ever used.

I have a ton of FIPG if you are in the area. OEM is the only way to go. I have used the 4 piece gaskets and they were the biggest pain that I have ever used.
Thanks, it's ordered already. The pan gasket won't be here till next week looks like. I do need a door stop for the driver door though, might make a trip up to see you soon.

There's a quart of POR15 in the box..funny

IMG_8868.JPG

Thanks, it's ordered already. The pan gasket won't be here till next week looks like. I do need a door stop for the driver door though, might make a trip up to see you soon.

You know where to find me. My doors are shot anyways, the only thing they are doing is helping keep the interior dry.

Clip...

Also can’t wait to see what a good clay bar and waxing will do for that exterior.

Thanks for the recommendation, all the paint I have polished out over the years and had never used a claybar...stuff is amazing.

Glad to hear that bud. I was recently turn on to a product called an Auto scrub pad. Does the same thing as a clay bar but is a lot easier. Some people use them on a DA polisher, but I just use it by hand.

I’ve always wanted to get crazy into detailing/polishing, but I’ve never owned anything with nice enough paint to inspire me :hillbilly:

NanoSkin AutoScrub 6-Inch Pad 2-Pack Special

If it works better than a clay bar that's one he of a product. After doing the hood with the clay, polishing with the 5000 pad, and then waxing, I can toss the buffing towel across and it just keeps sliding. Ultra smooth.

oh man, I need one of those vevors...

Thanks for the recommendation, all the paint I have polished out over the years and had never used a claybar...stuff is amazing.
Do the same thing on your windshield for small scratch. Can do some amazing things to the glass. After I did mine, wipers now skate across the glass silky smooth.

Nice... any more expensive than the Simple Green Pro HD (Purple)? Got my buzz box last night (6L version) and going to grab some stuff tonight for cleaning and throw my old carb in it.
Funny you mention the glass, I did a little test patch on the rear glass last night and was going to do the rest tonight. Good stuff.
The WD40 was $12 at Lowes. It says you can use it full strength but I diluted with 2 parts water. It's milder than the Zep. I haven't tried the Simple Green Purple, like mentioned by @davegonz earlier, be careful with soft metals and discoloring.

Funny you mention the glass, I did a little test patch on the rear glass last night and was going to do the rest tonight. Good stuff.
The WD40 was $12 at Lowes. It says you can use it full strength but I diluted with 2 parts water. It's milder than the Zep. I haven't tried the Simple Green Purple, like mentioned by @davegonz earlier, be careful with soft metals and discoloring.
Ok, just looked online and apparently my local Lowe's has the smaller cans but not the larger. Grabbing the Simple Green Pro HD (purple) as according to the Simple Green website it (along with the Precision Aircraft cleaner) is supposed to be safe for metals like aluminum.

Ok, this will conclude the bodywork section for now, still have a couple little spots to touch up. As many times as we powerwashed and scrubbed this thing, it seemed like a good time to polish and paint. It probably won't be this squeaky clean again and I needed a break anyways.

IMG_8881.JPG

IMG_8884.JPG

The spider saga...out here we have a lot of Daddy long Legs (cellar spiders) and black widows.

This is what I started with, pretty common cellar spider invasion

IMG_7690.JPG

There were some thick webs back under the rear passenger quarter and after towing it home I found that black widow and killed it. About 2 weeks after all the power washing and scrubbing and spraying, I saw some new beginnings of a web on the P rear axle ...found that one.

Fast forward a couple weeks and during wire repair, found this guy with the endoscope while snooping the D pillar, then found another like it in the driver door recently.

IMG_8736.JPG

Decided it was time to declare War, chemical warfare in the form of Raid fumigators. One underneath and one inside.

2 days ago the plan was executed.

Tonight, laying under the transmission, reach back over to the socket set, laying back catch something out of the corner of my eye. It looked half dead ..here's what's left.

IMG_8894.JPG

Decide to take a close look around, find some web up inside by fuel tank, drag a broom around and this guy falls to the floor half dead

IMG_8892.PNG

So the bombs seemed to work, I want to see if this guy actually dies and doesn't happen to make it through so he has become my captive...and all work has stopped.

IMG_8893.JPG

Last edited:
Bleh. Friggen black widows as a local. Yeehaw! I had one as a temporary resident at the nature center I worked at. I kept it in the back room and fed it mealworms until she laid a clutch and then I decided it was time for her and her brood to die. Was quite beautiful to see up close regardless.
That claybar... I looked it up last night or whatever... 5000 does it say that on the pkg? I only saw one on amazon that was green. Is that it?

Bleh. Friggen black widows as a local. Yeehaw! I had one as a temporary resident at the nature center I worked at. I kept it in the back room and fed it mealworms until she laid a clutch and then I decided it was time for her and her brood to die. Was quite beautiful to see up close regardless.
That claybar... I looked it up last night or whatever... 5000 does it say that on the pkg? I only saw one on amazon that was green. Is that it?
You can buy it in a kit at most auto parts stores. they usually sell the bars by themselves also. You can use soapy water as the lubricant.

Clay bar.jpg

Ah okay I have seen those. Seemed like he was talking platinum to silver or something like that. Thank you!

Ah okay I have seen those. Seemed like he was talking platinum to silver or something like that. Thank you!
It is used to clean all of the impurities from the painted surface so it will shin more. Generally only used on clear coat paint jobs that are in decent shape. It may work on single stage paints also, though I have never tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom