Accidental Eighty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mud members! I am back once again. I have been on Landcruiser hiatus for a while since i regretfully sold my 60 I worked so hard to build. This happened so accidental that it must have been meant to be.
I never took much liking to the 80 series and was a die hard 60 guy. I have owned a 1990 62 and my 86 Fj60 WHG423 Has a New FJ60!
Knowing I like to buy and flip cars from time to time, and knowing I am a Landcruiser fan, a buddy at work sent me a link to a 94' Fj80 on Letgo that had just posted. I had never used Letgo, so I downloaded the app and sent the guy a message. There were some communication issues, but long story short - the guy agreed to meet me after work, and it just so happened I was the first in line to meet up with him. Also, he was just a couple of miles from work.
Here is the only pic the ad showed.

fullsizeoutput_f31.jpeg

I showed up, drove the truck & gave it a once over. She ran a little rough but nothing i felt a tune up and once over couldn't cure. I saw no rust other than slight frame surface rust, Nothing out of the ordinary. Otherwise a nasty cruiser with terrible wheels, a color matched trailer hitch, and a busted fender and bumper.
I made him a crazy lowball offer and he basically took it on the spot and we shook on it. I figured I could make a little money on this truck and move on. I snapped a few pics before departing.

IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_7006.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

IMG_7008.JPG

The next day I showed up with cash in hand and drove her home about 20 miles with zero issues.
Here are a few things to note from the seller.
-Power steering leaks (see pic)
-Owned for 9 years
-Has been through his three Highschool teenage drivers (Damage and nastiness explained)
-Has been sitting undriven for four months. Wife said renew the tags or sell it. Here's where I pick up.
-"I'm going to be honest with you, I haven't changed the oil in several years" :cautious:

So looks like I've got a real project here. Save a cruiser - that's what must be done!!

Last edited:
Stand by, problem with pics.

Photos fixed now. Didn't know about the stupid photo bucket changes. :flipoff2: Linking directly on here now.

Here are a few interior shots

IMG_7011.JPG
IMG_7012.JPG
IMG_7013.JPG
IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7082.JPG

Got her home and washed her maybe for the first time in many years. Then I immediately Painted the hitch the very first thing and changed the oil!!

God, those wheels are hideous!

IMG_7030.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG
IMG_7033.JPG
IMG_7055.JPG

That's what I thought. She has potential. Reguardless I'll have fun with it.

Nice find actually. Cloth is a nice plus. Those rear speakers though, kind of funny rather than awful to me. Can't wait to see your progess.

For less then 2500 bucks, what's there not to like. I'd say you did very well for the amount of money you spent!

So after picking up the cruiser on Wednesday, giving her a once over and an oil change on Thursday some decisions had to be made.
I knew that the upcoming weekend was Logan's run - our local chapter's big annual get together and wheeling event but since I had been out of the loop, I hadn't been planning on attending. But now, accidentally I had acquired an Eighty just days before the event.
I made the decision to tempt fate and go see my cruiser buddies despite the unknown condition of my new ride other than fresh oil and the ever so pesky CEL.
Friday I called the insurance to insure coverage and loaded up a few basic tools. Saturday morning before light I headed out with a borrowed license plate and not a care in the world.
IMG_7085.JPG

IMG_7087.JPG

I made it down and back 105 miles with no problems (aside from a little stumbling under acceleration) and hade a great day seeing cruisers, old friends, and hanging out.

Something funny happened. - I fell in love with my crappy 80. What turned out to be a accidental investment to turn a profit has now become mine. My own truck to build as I please.

After being a 60 guy for all these years, the ride comfort in the 80 is a nice change and seeing their capability on the trails again was reassuring.

Let's bring this old girl back to life!
IMG_7123.JPG

Last edited:
Something funny happened. - I fell in love with my crappy 80. What turned out to be a accidental investment to turn a profit has now become mine. My own truck to build as I please.

After being a 60 guy for all these years, the ride comfort in the 80 is a nice change and seeing their capability on the trails again was reassuring.

Let's bring this old girl back to life!

I like this!

Friday I called the insurance to insure coverage and loaded up a few basic tools. Saturday morning before light I headed out with a borrowed license plate and not a care in the world.

While this approach won't work in many areas of our country, it sure makes life simpler :D.

Nice find and good luck on the build.

View attachment 1540542

I don't think it's crappy at all. It has a few dings and it sounds like it needs to be baselined, but it's still a Land Cruiser and it looks pretty rust free. I paid $3000 for one with no dents, very good paint and 98% rust free body with a rusty undercarriage and I don't think my rig is crappy, nor do any of the people that compliment me on it all the time.

Yours just needs some love, but that is a great platform in my opinion, as a rust belter. You bought it right and even if you dump a few grand into fixing it up, you will still be in good shape if you decide to sell.

I think you saved a great truck from being wasted on people that didn't appreciate it. :)

Plus one for gold paint/cloth seats master race :hillbilly:

Love the third row speaker supports

Well done...

:cheers:

:clap:

Let me start by saying this is the absolutely the most disgusting, filthiest vehicle I have ever brought home - and I've brought home a bunch. The amount of drink spilled in this car could float a boat. Brown carpet is mostly black, but ironically seats aren't stains up, just dirty.
I took a whole afternoon and pulled the "speaker pods", the Sub and amp and all associated wiring. Three old cell phone systems including a bag phone, ext. speakers, microphone and antennas, and two decommissioned alarm systems. I've never seen so much wiring. Feels good to get that all out of there.

IMG_7208.JPG
IMG_7204.JPG

Next I removed all the seats and consoles. Hit the jackpot! I found
35 Quarters

19 Nickles

37 Dimes

303 Pennies = $16.43

WTH? Who looses all that?

IMG_7195.JPG

IMG_7217.JPG

Next out with that disgusting carpet. Now I got a big job scrubbing and washing. Can't wait to get her clean inside. I love tearing down a vehicle and getting to know it.

IMG_7218.JPG

Week one has been good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom