Severe Dieseling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had my 2F rebuilt by Cole imports in Charlottesville, VA. All in all a good job.
Drove it back to Richmond, VA at highway speeds without incident but when i tried to shut the 60 off, it dieseled for 30+ sec and filled the cab with smoke.
I paid him $4000 and the truck isn't right.

Any suggestions?????

Got to drive it all the way to CA starting Saturday.

I should also mention that my 2F is desmogged

Check if your ICS is hooked up / working.

ICS = idle cut solenoid. AKA fuel cut solenoid. It's the solenoid valve that is on the carb. It'll be the only thing with wires coming off of it connected to the carb. Make sure it's plugged into the wiring harness. If it is, then you should test it.

"Do a search for idle cut solenoid or "ics". you should test it by applying 12V to it to see if the solenoid is opening ("clicking"). The you can do the "green wire mod", ie. attach the negative wire directly to ground to see if the probem goes away. If so you have a bad wire or a bad emissions computer."

Thanks all, I'll check it.

Its a long story but This old replacement webet carb doednt have the cut off. The Mech days keep in gear and stall it out.

I have my original carb which I might send to the guy on hete who rebuilds our carbs and have him rebuild and configure it for my engine, or contact Trollhole for one of theirs.

Yes until you get it sorted out with the weber carb-

Stopping a dieseling engine:
  1. E-brake pulled tight
  2. Clutch pushed in
  3. Transmission put into 4th gear
  4. Turn off ignition w key
  5. Instantly let out clutch
This technique is fine & won't hurt anything.

The cab smoke may be a dizzy venting issues from the a incorrect desmog

This whole situation is very frustrating.

I am hesitant to reply as I am new here, but from my experience in the Aircooled VW/Porsche world...
When an engine would diesel or run-on it was almost always 1 of 2 things. Like everyone said, the idle cut off solenoid. The other culprit was someone fiddling with the timing. Sorry about the problems pal.

Note that the click test on the ICS (connecting the ICS directly to the battery to hear click) does not always mean the solenoid is working. Make sure the piston moves in and out when powered or not. Check to see if rubber oring on ICS is intact and pliable.

He has a Webber. No ICS on a Webber.

The stock Aisan is a better carb for a 2F. Get it rebuilt by a Forum Carb Guru and that will go a long way to end the dieseling. Dieseling is caused by gas dribbling into the intake when ignition is shut off and being ignited by a hot engine (performance build?). The function of the ICS is to completely shut off the idle circuit at engine off.

Or, kill the engine with the clutch.

Mark A. in Burbank - Marks Off Road Home Page 818-953-9230

Oops. Just saw that.

Timing big culprit of deiseling. Check the distributor and the vent hose on the cap for the interior cab smoke.

Thanks all for all the great advise. Just drove it about 100 miles on the highway. When I got to my destination and shut the engine off there was no dieseling.
Not to say it won't happen tomorrow.
Who was the guy on here who everyone was sending their carbs too. It was Jim or C something?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom