Australian Trayback in my garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1332.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG
Something I have been looking for over the last couple years. Finally pulled the trigger and bought this imported fj45. Not sure on plans yet, but need to get it road worthy and we will see.

Very nice! Those registration labels are historic too now :)

Details please..eng? Tranny? Etc..your teasing us enough with the photos let alone holding out on the specifics. ..I want first ride when its road worthy

Glad everyone is interested, I was pretty geeked up when I decided to buy one.
This is a 1970 fj45 imported from Australia. Pretty sure it's an original cadet blue 449 paint model, rare and only offered for two years. There's some good and bad when importing an almost 50 year old vehicle. I will update as I get more info.

When this arrived on the carrier it had to be jump started and took a lot of gas pedal pumping and cranking to start, but it did start and drove off the carrier under its own power.
There were substantial exhaust and intake leaks at the manifold, the air intake and filter were caked in soot from the exhaust leak and the carb was out of tune with its own vacuum leaks around the base, spacer and manifold. The brake master cylinder had a bad leak and some of the calipers were stuck.
It also came with 16" split rims that I am probably replacing with oem 15" wheels, not certain yet.

Last edited:
I haven't had a ton of time with it as it just arrived Saturday, but I have tackled the manifold leaks and after applying the proper torque to all the bolts and replacing one stripped nut, all the manifold leaks seem to be sorted. I cleaned up the Holly carb and reset the float level, air mixtures and turned the idle way down, it's now running quite well.

Wow Fantastic. Can't wait to see it at a meet. Right Hand Drive, too! Congrats

DAMN!!! I'm green with envy... I want an FJ45 p/up one day..

Flip the bezel. Dump the Holley for a stock carb. Down side of replacing the 16" split rims is 15" tire options are getting smaller. But love the classic look of the 15" rims and hub caps. Was wondering if yours was here yet. In about a week another trayback will be arriving in WA heading to the East Valley. Not sure if you have posted in the thread about cadet blue or not. I'm sure they would love pictures of yours.

For the record in Australia a ute is a pickup with a bed and trayback is a flatbed with fold down sides. Conversing over the internet with some Aussies lately picking a little of their terminology. One has sent me pictures of a few traybacks for sale. So tempting.

EDIT: just looked at the cadet blue thread in the 40/55 section and realized it's the one you just got.

Last edited:
I want this one:
White, 4 door v8 diesel-see the far right column
View attachment 1514498 View attachment 1514499

View attachment 1514500

That one might require a small move, like to the other side of the world.:rolleyes: guessing you didn't test drive or we would see your cruisers for sale getting ready for the move.

I know which I would get. Not that rare, not to hard to find, legal to import and not that expensive. Just need to down size enough to have it make sense. I do have my dream cruiser. That one is much harder find. It too is old enough to import.

My plans for this are pretty basic.
1st is just to get it running, driving stopping correctly and making sure the electrical works correctly. Then off for the vehicle inspection, title registration, plates.
This appears to have been some kind of field or farm vehicle, no major modifications but several little fixes over the years that I have to decide wether or not I need to return to stock or just clean up. Probably the later if they present no issues.
I have taken several illegal hot laps around the neighborhood. The first was sketchy as all hell, the last not so much.

short term to do list in no particular order-

Master cylinder leak- replaced with dual circuit unit with adapter
Stuck calipers- now unstuck
Change all fluids and lube chassis- in progress
Pull radiator and replace or have rodded
Replace thermostat-
Inspect water pump-
Replace coolant hoses-
Eventual brake overhaul- in progress, new soft lines installed and dual MC
Exhaust manifold leaks- fixed
Intake manifold leaks- fixed
Turn signal repair LR- edit- fixed
Brake signal repair RR- fixed ground
Install rear license plate light- done but temporary
Clean, rebuild and tune carb-fixed, made new mating gaskets to clear additional intake leaks- done
Swap dead battery- fixed
Pull 3 added accesory wires from battery to cab- fixed
Pull interior, clean cab- done for now
Send seat to upholstery shop- done
Pull giant aluminum bull bar- fixed
Install new front bumper and brackets from CBT- need to order
Replace shift knob-
Bezel, pull, paint white- done
Clean and repaint top white-
Replace all glass and door seals- possibly way down the road if I decide to repaint, IDK-
Edit- bought new seals for rear glass, corner glass and vent windows from Racer65 on mud
Pull, sand and stain wood in bed- in progress
Source used or new OEM wheels and hub caps-

Last edited:
Don't wait on seals and glass. Start searching now these are getting harder to find. Not sure about the doors but know that windshield has been NLA for Long time. Just flat glass so no big deal, same with the back window. It's the rear corner glass that hardest to find. These are shorter than the FJ40. Some NOS we're available not to long ago in the 45 section. Best bet for parts in general is make a connection with a member in the Middle East. Seems to be the best place to locate NOS.
Hubs caps just order from new from CBT. Bought a set of five a few years back. Was around $90 including tax. Four would be even cheaper. I assume you have a spare tire carrier underneath. Did a 70 model just have the long handle to lower it or winch?

Don't wait on seals and glass. Start searching now these are getting harder to find. Not sure about the doors but know that windshield has been NLA for Long time. Just flat glass so no big deal, same with the back window. It's the rear corner glass that hardest to find. These are shorter than the FJ40. Some NOS we're available not to long ago in the 45 section. Best bet for parts in general is make a connection with a member in the Middle East. Seems to be the best place to locate NOS.
Hubs caps just order from new from CBT. Bought a set of five a few years back. Was around $90 including tax. Four would be even cheaper. I assume you have a spare tire carrier underneath. Did a 70 model just have the long handle to lower it or winch?

That's good advice on the window moldings, I can certainly buy them anytime and just hold on to them until ready to pull the glass. Glad you chimed in with that info. Sounds like I need to do some shopping in you garages.:grinpimp:

And you are correct on the spare tire. It's the standard 15" wheel we have all seen on the fj40s, and it's under the tray in back with that giant crank handle behind the passenger seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom