Australian Trayback in my garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Talked to Mark Agazi and ordered new soft brake lines, MC adapter and a new dual circuit MC.
These are installed, but the MC and adapter required modification to fit a RHD vehicle. All,the leaks have stopped and it’s stopping predictably now.

079B39C1-DDA9-4A76-B1AF-D0E7783B14DF.jpeg

78A066AF-7875-4E51-94F6-85CC3D441095.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed a Petronix pointless ignition, tested the existing coil Ohms resistance, tested at 5 ohms, so reused that. Adjusted timing and the FJ45 is very happy. Easier starts, smoother acceleration and lost the persistent hesitation that showed up just off idle.
The truck wanted more timing advance but the vacuum on the dizzy wouldn’t rotate further without hitting the oil dipstick and preventing its removal. Seems I am stuck with about 9 degrees of advance for now.
No real good pics but...

5AC2D347-085B-429B-8EA5-11C0718A3D43.jpeg

40C5E90E-ABE2-4A17-9FE9-1030CBA7C068.jpeg

I was looking at wheels option other than the OEM 15”. I sourced an additional 16” steel wheel from a 3rd gen 4Runner spare. I fabled some slips to the wheel to hold the hubcap and mounted it. It looks good for the rear, but the front requires a wheel spacer to clear steering linkage and looks bad as the front hub is reassessed behind the hubcap. This option is out. I am still looking for an FJ steel wheel to mock up, the 17” wheel may have the correct clearance.
Currently running on stock Tacoma steel wheels and tires, temporary but functional.

20C61F32-481A-4363-BB69-43AE0616C218.jpeg

Interesting, US 7/70 was dual circuit brake lines and booster standard. Did these at least have dual circuit brake lines?
As for wheels CityRacer sells 16" steel wheels with hub cap clips. Get that far might consider them for my 79.

That's good advice on the window moldings, I can certainly buy them anytime and just hold on to them until ready to pull the glass. Glad you chimed in with that info. Sounds like I need to do some shopping in you garages.:grinpimp:

And you are correct on the spare tire. It's the standard 15" wheel we have all seen on the fj40s, and it's under the tray in back with that giant crank handle behind the passenger seat.

I stand corrected. I finally pulled the spare and it is a 16" non split rim wheel with hubcap clips. Why couldn't they all have been this type?

Interesting, US 7/70 was dual circuit brake lines and booster standard. Did these at least have dual circuit brake lines?
As for wheels CityRacer sells 16" steel wheels with hub cap clips. Get that far might consider them for my 79.

Not sure it mattered, seems Aussie vehicles lagged US in modernity. Mine is a 4/70 though.

My mistake, thought it was a 74. The one sitting up in Washington is a 74. Australia lagged behind in padded dash, never got lower dash pads. Disc brakes wasn't until the 83 model. Never got a roll bar. Never got the collapsible steering column. Emissions were far less, not sure they got a air pump. For what ever reason the twist handle glovebox door never happened on RHD. They did get the LX models, diesel engines, FF rear axles, granny transmission and five speeds. Plus a bunch of other things.

IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_2113.JPG
Happily, I have found the wheels I will be using. These come from the fj cruiser platform, 17" steelies. I previously thought I might be able to use the same wheels I used on my 80 which came from the random steel 3rd gen 4Runner spare, but after test fitting, that 16" wheel didn't clear the steering linkage.:bang:
So I wasted some time and effort making hub cab clips from scratch and fitting the hubcaps, but that was on me for not test fitting the wheels first.
This time I checked the wheels for fitment and am pleased these will work. Mocked up hub cap shots follow the 80'serriesm3rd gen wheels.

Wheels will be painted either white or grey, leaning toward white for this build, dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom