Builds this is my 80 series expedition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i usually do not explain myself especially when you can se answer
look at pictures better for finished product

Good for you, you don't need to. I wasn't criticizing your platform, simply stating to the other guy that it wasn't a bad idea.

i took the LC to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California and back honestly it was better to sleep in back than any hotel the bead is super comfy
next weekend heading to glacier national park

Sounds like awesome trips.

I've done a lot of bandit camping in remote areas and learned a few lessons from experience. One is the advantage of sleeping inside. A big disadvantage of a RTT, or back of a pickup truck, or anything outside the vehicle, is that you're more exposed to danger. You can't get to the ignition and get out of danger quickly without being more exposed to it. I'm very conscious of parking with an escape route and having keys in or near the ignition when I sleep.

i have HAM antenna on rear bumper , mounting it on roof rack is problem for me clearance and i take my roof rack off when not in use LC does not fit in garage with roof rack i do have LED lights on rear i may add some on side but no need for it jet
i took the LC to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California and back honestly it was better to sleep in back than any hotel the bead is super comfy

While in Glacier make sure you dont miss Polebridge mercantile it a great step back in time, have a great time, and watch for bears.

Sounds like awesome trips.

I've done a lot of bandit camping in remote areas and learned a few lessons from experience. One is the advantage of sleeping inside. A big disadvantage of a RTT, or back of a pickup truck, or anything outside the vehicle, is that you're more exposed to danger. You can't get to the ignition and get out of danger quickly without being more exposed to it. I'm very conscious of parking with an escape route and having keys in or near the ignition when I sleep.

I share your concerns as a solo traveler but I believe this problem is overstated having several friends/couples that travel the world with never an issue. With that said the possibilities diffidently exist and one should always be aware of one surroundings but not a common problem. Vehicle access was a consideration when I went to a poptop but after talking with others with experience I just sleep armed when possible and be aware.

i have HAM antenna on rear bumper , mounting it on roof rack is problem for me clearance and i take my roof rack off when not in use LC does not fit in garage with roof rack i do have LED lights on rear i may add some on side but no need for it jet

Take a large cannister of pepper spray if you plan to hike. You can get it Montana at a gun store. They generally have nylon holsters that attach to your belt. Glacier is full of grizzlies. Also a good idea to store your food away from your rig. A grizzly could take a window out of your vehicle in a flash with very little effort. You will then have a Grizzly in your rig and they do tear things up once they are inside. You definitely don't want one in the rig with you in there. (Don't let anyone on here down-play the danger of bears in Glacier, I have been there several times and the bears are definitely there.)

To store your food away from the rig, simply put it in a nylon sack and tie a rope onto it. Pitch it over a high branch (too high for a Grizzly to reach) and then tie the other end off on a nearby tree. I'd plan to put it 100 feet from your vehicle at a minimum to make sure it doesn't associate the food with your rig. If you are taking a grill with you I'd either plan to really scrub it good after cooking or hang it in a tree as well. I would cook and eat away from your vehicle. Don't get food on the truck (that means wash your hands well after you eat so you don't get the smell of food on your vehicle).

Plan to take lots of photos. It is one of the most beautiful places you will ever visit! It is still very wild.

just got back
i did get pepper spray and on first day i was facing grizzly i did not think about food in the car that is good point
i took hike off parking lot by jackson glacier up in mountain that part you need to be super careful when you get up high i did not se bear that time but fresh track all over

to bead the san road was closed after jackson glacier parking

Glad you didn't experience any bears. It is great to see them but not when they are close up. It will definitely get your attention when a cub runs across a trail in front of you and you can see the mother chomping you jaws at you from the brush.

Most people don't see bears. Unfortunately, some get eaten by the bears so you need to remain vigilant.

Please post up any photos you took. Everyone will appreciate it! Glacier is one of the most scenic places I have visited.

@goranvolvo I like where your going with that, what are you using to bend the flat metal for the propane carrier ?
i used sheet metal roller
the ring is there to hold the tank from moving so i can use only one strap to secure the tank to mount

Last edited:
Well done!

Whoa, man. You might wanna rethink putting that propane tank out there. If you you get rear ended you could BLOW UP!

Whoa, man. You might wanna rethink putting that propane tank out there. If you you get rear ended you could BLOW UP!

Im thinking no one is going to mount a propane tank that low. 100s of vehicles and trailers have tanks at the rear.:meh: :poof:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom