Builds this is my 80 series expedition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A note to anyone who considers using electrical conduit for projects. Welding galvanized metal is dangerous, the zinc produces toxic fumes that can kill you.
that is correct but if you send the zinc coating you r ok you do not want to weld over zinc because the weld will not be strong you will get a lot air pockets

and finally finished my tailgate storage (85.55 $ for all parts i did reuse carpet from old cover )

Last edited:
How is the deflection on the lid you made? I like how little it cost you to do it and it came out great!

that is correct but if you send the zinc coating you r ok you do not want to weld over zinc because the weld will not be strong you will get a lot air pockets

and finally finished my tailgate storage (85.55 $ for all parts i did reuse carpet from old cover )
imagehost

imagehost

Best looking lid I have seen yet. Great idea keeping the carpet. Also, thank you for posting your build process.

Nice work!!! Did you fab or by the mounts for your rack?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what happens if you get rear-ended? The sleeping platform looks like it has tubing pointing straight at the back-center of the front seats! Please check that before something happens and someone gets hurt.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what happens if you get rear-ended? The sleeping platform looks like it has tubing pointing straight at the back-center of the front seats! Please check that before something happens and someone gets hurt.

Wow, the guy already gets gigged earlier in his own thread for using galvanized metal. Now your telling him he'd better check himself before some final destination type event happens with his sleeping platform ?

Its obvious that the OP is quite resourceful and I for one enjoy his contributions to this forum. You don't see anybody else offering up an affordable tailgate lid or aux fuel tank.

Seriously...

ahaha some people r really funny

On another note @goranvolvo how did you go about securing the carpet to the aluminum panel ? I'm assuming you just carefully cut the carpet with an exacto knife ?
the carpet was last item installed
i installed it over the aluminum plate made cuts on three sides with utility knife so j can put bolts in and bolt it in
after bolting i used spray glue after glue was dry i cut the fourth side
whole thing was easy to make
i did not mention i used JIG saw to cut corners and circular saw for cutting metal to cut the the middle part

did you notice my car does not have front air bags maybe i should scrap it since it is not safe ...

did you notice my car does not have front air bags maybe i should scrap it since it is not safe ...
Whatever, dude. I used to work on racecars (without airbags) and stuff like this would never fly. Consider at least welding a bar across the front of your skewers.

I like the overall concept of junk on top and sleep inside, vs. sleep on top and junk inside.

Most off the shelf racks require an array of brackets and gizmos for mounting things - perhaps you can integrate them. With your fab skills it won't be hard to add NMO mounts for HAM antennas, mounting tabs for LED lights (forward and side/back), mount points for ARB awning, and things like that.

Nice job.

sleeping on top == roof top tent

I like the overall concept of junk on top and sleep inside, vs. sleep on top and junk inside.

Most off the shelf racks require an array of brackets and gizmos for mounting things - perhaps you can integrate them. With your fab skills it won't be hard to add NMO mounts for HAM antennas, mounting tabs for LED lights (forward and side/back), mount points for ARB awning, and things like that.

Nice job.
i have HAM antenna on rear bumper , mounting it on roof rack is problem for me clearance and i take my roof rack off when not in use LC does not fit in garage with roof rack i do have LED lights on rear i may add some on side but no need for it jet
i took the LC to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California and back honestly it was better to sleep in back than any hotel the bead is super comfy
next weekend heading to glacier national park

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom