Cargo Window Gasket Option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You got man, That is exactly where I cut it. I don't have any big purple crayons, maybe the wife can pick some of those up for me :D

Just curious what you mean by as window is installed... If you are asking if I took the window and got measurements as I cut then I did not do that. I just built the molding around the glass. The molding is the right profile so after that was done she went right in no problem. If you pay attention to your angles you should be fine, no need to go to the opening in the pig at all.

I meant installed and looking at it from the outside. just as in the picture.

Awesome Nick!

If I did 3 joints and then tried to make this gasket, I don't think that would come out very well... :D

Hahahahaha yeah I think most anyone would after 3 joints. :hillbilly:

The moldings should be done now so the next step is install. I have seen many people ask how to do this in the past and I wanted to touch on it as it is really an easy process but something you have to see to understand.

You will need to get some 1/8 rope. You will then get a caulking tube tip and force the rope through it and tie a knot on the other end. This will allow you to force the rope in the gaskets rope channel and move along it to get the whole gasket. I have placed a pic of the item roped below. I know i didn't use the caulking tip but it works just as easily as the tool in the pic. A few pointer are below and could save you a headache.

-Always start roping a gasket from the bottom middle.
- Leave yourself at least 3-4 inches of rope to pull on.
- You shouldn't need lube on new gaskets and some states even have laws against it but if you do use a lube just make sure it isn't silicone based.

Then tape the ropes two ends to the inside of the glass.

Then call a buddy, grab a beer and wait till he gets there. You want to have some help with the install just to be safe.

Then once he/she gets there place the window in the opening. Make sure to place the bottom as close to the pinch weld as possible. Then someone get in the truck and start pulling the rope with a small circular motion as the other person pushes or slaps the portion of glass you are roping in., with a open hand and no rings ( ask me how I know that little mistake) So rope in the bottom to the first corner and then go to the other side and do the same. You do not want to try and rope in the whole thing from one string, use them back and forth until you are fully in. Then slap the glass all around the gasket and admire your work!!! :cheers:

P.s. The tape you see in the pics is used to help the gasket stay on at the proper angle. I didn't cover that but you can see how that works below.

Thanks for this help. I will use it for installing my 40 windshield tonight!

Hey Pablo, no problem. Good Luck!

I wrote him, @CarmMontana he saismd he sold the pig but the new owner, had even removed window and reinstslled. I ordered a set today from carparts.com little over 50 bucks shipped. Worth a shot, seing how, John slocruisers still cant get them. Better than chopping up winsheild gaskets. I hope.

I wrote him, @CarmMontana he saismd he sold the pig but the new owner, had even removed window and reinstslled. I ordered a set today from carparts.com little over 50 bucks shipped. Worth a shot, seing how, John slocruisers still cant get them. Better than chopping up winsheild gaskets. I hope.

Rad. I need to replace mine as well. Please post up your thoughts after you install them and thanks!

@Lucy_FJ55, man I am just stocking up parts for when the day comes. It will be awhile before I am ready to paint. I will put these next to my other lights and other stuff. One day i can hope for paint.

DSC_0113.JPG
DSC_0116.JPG
DSC_0119.JPG
DSC_0118.JPG

I just did this. I ordered the seals from a guy on ebay. Then ordered the glue from Canada. It took a while to arrive through customs I guess. They charge your credit card to a place in Michigan, but everything turned out well. I ordered two bottle to be safe but you actually only end up using a small amount. The glue works super fast! Apply to one half of the cut seal and then as son as you touch the unglued side things bond almost instantly. If you get glue on both halves it doesn't bond when you stick them together. As noted above the lower curved corner is the difficult joint to cut and get right. My second one was much better.

DSC_0127.JPG
DSC_0128.JPG

I'll post more detailed install pics soon. I have the passenger side window mounted. It was the second seal that I cut so it turned out the best. The one shown above was the first seal and I wasn't happy with the way I did the lower corner on it. When I got ready to install the drivers side (and first seal I cut) I realized the glass was cut too small for the opening. i wondered why the old seal had gaps. Come to find out it wasn't stock glass with label and someone did a hack job on it. Regardless it was an issue with the glass and this gives me the opportunity to possible do a better job on the handmade seal. Anyway, I'll post an install shot on the pass seal in a little bit. A big thanks to the original author of this tread. This mod saved a lot of money!

DSC_0163.JPG
DSC_0165.JPG
DSC_0167.JPG

Here is the second seal installed on the passenger side. You'll see here that I ended up curving the seal end piece seal around the curve. This ended up working much better than trying to cut the proper angle on the corner since the glass is curved here. You see that I have a little separation here as I need to go back and apply glue. I got in a hurry and ended up getting glue on both halves of the seal as I was putting it together so part of the seam opened up. It's good on the inside though and with a little heat from the blow dryer I should be able to close the gap. As mentioned above the seals a quite flexible and stretchable so if you end up cutting a little short as your trimming things you can usually get the seam to meet. I feel confident that I can fix this little spot with the window installed.

DSC_0153.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG
DSC_0156.JPG

Here are some close up shots on the seams. Again please forgive the last lower corner seam as I need to fix it. Hopefully this gives you all some more shots of how to do this. After getting the glue, I have no reservations about making seals like this in the future. The glue works awesome and plenty of glue left over when the two seals are completed. I'm even going to try and do some repair on some of my other seals that have torn in the corners (like my tailgate window outer seal). Maybe this will prolong me having to buy some of the seals that just need a little touch up repair.

By the way the tip included earlier about using a hammer to tap the straight razor through the seal as you cut these was invaluable to getting a straight cut. I uses a rawhide hammer to do this and it worked like a charm. It takes a couple cuts to get the hang of it.

Also, you'll have a few sections of trim left over. Enough to fix the final back piece if you screw things up...

Also info on the ebay seller I got my seals from:

Link to seal: Weatherstrip Seal Window Rear Back Glass Chevy PU Truck 73-87 No Trim WBL1135 | eBay

Link to sellers store: COLUMBIA PARTS COMPANY | eBay Stores

He has seals that are also grooved on the outside face of the seal to accept trim, but you'll want the smooth face. I think he wondered why I ordered two of the same seal from him. I didn't tell him what I was doing so if others order from him he may wonder why people are ordering multiple seals. He was quick on delivery.

Again hope this helps you all out. This group has been such a help to me even on just a couple months of pig ownership so thanks everyone.

View attachment 1388710 View attachment 1388711 View attachment 1388712 View attachment 1388713

I just did this. I ordered the seals from a guy on ebay. Then ordered the glue from Canada. It took a while to arrive through customs I guess. They charge your credit card to a place in Michigan, but everything turned out well. I ordered two bottle to be safe but you actually only end up using a small amount. The glue works super fast! Apply to one half of the cut seal and then as son as you touch the unglued side things bond almost instantly. If you get glue on both halves it doesn't bond when you stick them together. As noted above the lower curved corner is the difficult joint to cut and get right. My second one was much better.

Great details! Thank you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom