Power steering cooler upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Project number 5 million. Every once in a while somebody on here needs to rebuild their PS pump. A heavy rig using big tahres and slow trail speeds is probably the culprit. That silly little tube just dosn't get enough airflow down there. All that heat probably eats up a few of those high pressure hoses, too. :D Soooo, a real cooler is in order for my rig. It will be placed up in the airflow of the vehicle's fan. While rumaging through the local yard, I found several Toyota cars which use this ND oil cooler....

P1010026_0.JPG

It is a nice mini me version of the transmission cooler. Corollas of late 80's FX16 and Alltrac vintage use them. It also has the proper hose size connections.... should be large enough to cool, but not so big it will obstruct too much air flow to the radiator.

If anyone has suggestions, please throw em' out there.

Last edited:
I have read that that stacked design is preferred over single tube designs for flow, there should be room below the horns for it

landtank said:
Why not skip the mod and just use Synthetic fluid?

Synthetic fluid will still get so hot it will destroy the pump.....won't foam like dino fluid though.
Butch

flintknapper

bjowett said:
Project number 5 million. Every once in a while somebody on here needs to rebuild their PS pump. A heavy rig using big tahres and slow trail speeds is probably the culprit. That silly little tube just dosn't get enough airflow down there. All that heat probably eats up a few of those high pressure hoses, too. :D Soooo, a real cooler is in order for my rig. It will be placed up in the airflow of the vehicle's fan. While rumaging through the local yard, I found several Toyota cars which use this ND oil cooler....

P1010026_0.JPG

It is a nice mini me version of the transmission cooler. Corollas of late 80's FX16 and Alltrac vintage use them. It also has the proper hose size connections.... should be large enough to cool, but not so big it will obstruct too much air flow to the radiator.

If anyone has suggestions, please throw em' out there.

I was just looking at mine yesterday and thinking about adding a cooler as well. I just finished adding one to a full size bronco I own and the Land Cruiser set up is very similar.
Both vehicles have a certain amount of steel tubing that is supposed to dissipate heat. I left the factory tubing in place on the bronco but cut it at the 180 deg. bend and attached the hoses to the cooler there. It made a very neat and factory looking installation as well as adding fluid volume to the system. Heat is what ruins the fluid just as in the transmission.

Talk to Photoman, he was working some thing. Was looking at mine today since the front bumper and grill are off.

What are the dimensions of that cooler? Looks like an excellent mod. What did it cost?
Thanks, BigMac

I paid $5 for it. Not sure what Toyota wants?

The core is about 9" x 5.25", minus brackets and hose fittings. There are 8 tubes in the core and they are about 8" long each. 8 x 8 = 64". The stock cooling tube is roughly that same length from the two points where it passes between the frame and radiator support.

The oil cooler is a much better heat exchanger, throw in the fan's airflow and it looks like it was meant to be.

Nice.....A year later and I'm of the mind to add a cooler. My stock cooler is pissing fluid. a compression bandage of hose and clamps got me home from a ~2weeks of camping in Maine....Anybody else done up similar mods? At ~$300 I can't see replacing the stock loop type cooler. It will just rust away again in my environment. Sorry Cdan (not that I'm worried about your pups going hungry)
Rob M Concord, MA

I looked for one in a junkyard and could not find one, there were many corolla’s there.

High performance and high load Corollas are the only versions with the cooler. To reiterate, FX16 hatchbacks and Alltrac wagons...

A similar cooler also exists on some automatic equiped trucks and 4-Runners of earlier vintage... mid 80's to mid 90's(?). It sits under the truck and is used to cool the transfer case.

bjowett said:
High performance and high load Corollas are the only versions with the cooler. To reiterate, FX16 hatchbacks and Alltrac wagons...

A similar cooler also exists on some automatic equiped trucks and 4-Runners of earlier vintage... mid 80's to mid 90's(?). It sits under the truck and is used to cool the transfer case.

I see did not realize FX16 and alltrac were kinds of Corolla's, thought they were other vehicles.

As usual Brian, this is cool out of the norm thinking. I like it.

Originally posted by bjowett

Are these coolers installed on a 4WD Tercel? One of the junkyard here has a 4WD Tercel and wondering if they were installed.

Also an alternative for this cooler is a 2nd Gen 4Runner t-case cooler. This kind of cooler is kinda good for the power steering.

RavenTai said:
I see did not realize FX16 and alltrac were kinds of Corolla's, thought they were other vehicles.

Ahhhh, well, we'll let it slip this time... :flipoff2:

Tercels don't have them. I'll try to put a list together of available coolers and what Toyota's have them.

bjowett said:
Ahhhh, well, we'll let it slip this time... :flipoff2:

Well Corolla's are not exactly my type of vehicle, not much for any front wheel drive / transverse mount econo boxs so I do not pay them much attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom