Replacing Heater/AC Blower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Truck: 1985 4Runner.

Right before heading to Cruise Moab I lost my blower. Initially I suspected the resistors, except this time I lost everything, not just the slower speeds. So, here for my fellow Mudders is how I Dx, and fixed, the problem.

Since I suspected the fan motor that was were I started. I pulled the connector and confirmed I had 12 volts. I did, so I could have stopped there. But, just for chuckles and grins I dug deeper.

First pic is the fan motor assembly still installed under the dash, passenger side, just above the kick panel. You can see the ECU below and to the right. Removal of the kick panel is necessary to access one of the screws. There are three screws, 8mm hex. A deep socket is needed, or an extention.

Second pic is the blower motor assembly removed from the truck and sitting on the garage floor.

Third pic shows the square hole the resistors fit in. It's located behind the blower on the firewall. Nothing needs to be removed to access them. They come out with a single phillip head screw. I usually leave the connector on until they are out.
heaterblower_sm.jpg
blowertop_sm.jpg
resistorlocation.jpg

Last edited:
For chuckles, and the educational value, I also looked down stream. Of course, there wasn't a problem, but what the heck.

In order to access the heater and AC fuses, along with the blower relay, you need to remove the glovebox. The fuses and relay are located to the left, sort of behind the radio. First pic shows the location. Second pic shows the cover removed to access the fuses.

When you hit the fan switch you should hear the relay click. You can check for power at the heater fuse without removing the fuse. On top of the fuse are two exposed slits that can be use to check if the fuse is good (continuity) or for voltage.

The third pic is the coil resistor removed and still attached to the wire harness.

My replacement fan came from the local pick-n-pull for a wopping $20. It appears that the assembly is not available from Toyota, but the motor sub-assembly is ... for $113 list.
blowerrelay_sm.jpg
blowerfuse_sm.jpg
resistor.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom