Rotw V-wag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright....I guess I'll start in the beginning because well it seems like a good place to start.

I grew up always wanting an off road vehicle and orginaly I was after a old series rover from Point Break ( Sheeaaaa!!!! :cool: :rolleyes: ). but after some research and finding out that the drive train is on the week side of the line. I found the Land Cruiser, Actually it might have been a subconscious thing. A white fj60 is the first vehicle my dad and I ever stopped to look at for me to drive when some day when I was old enough to drive. And then later on I remember stopping and looking at a mustard fj40 with him.

It was final, I wanted a Land Cruiser. So, I spent the next 2 years saving. While I was in my freshman year at Penn State I saw a brown fj60 zipping around campus with a for sale sign in it. The guy originally wanted 3,500 but I offered him 1,700 and 2 months later he called me up and ask if I stilled wanted. I bought it that day.

I spent the next year driving around 250 miles a week through the mountains from my apartment at campus to my home on the other side of the mountains. It was for the most part my favorite time of the week plowing thru deep snow late at night with no one else on the road.

After that year was up I ended up moving to Florida where I started to plan for a SOA. I got the rock crawling bug after FSUsteve gave me a copy of Toyota Trails. After reading the trail stories from Tellico I knew thats what I wanted to do, and the trails were just with in my reach.

Mean while I was still driving around 300 miles a week to school in a SOA Fj60. Doing a bunch of PM and upgrades...

SOOOO how did Velveeta Wag get its name??? I went to have my rig painted tan and the shop screwed it up and painted it neon yellow. Well I raised hell and had them repaint it for free....Tan.... Well sorta of. Close enough any way......Welll back to the name. I posted up a thread in chat when I use to hang out there about being in love with Velveeta cheese. Patride was nice enough to notice that my truck was the same color as the cheese and dubed my rig Velveeta Wag.

Alright back to the tech...
As my rig sits now.
1982 SOA with fj62 srpings
New Fj62 frame
Frame and body chopped 22"
Roof chopped and caged
37"MTRS
4 wheel disc, 4 runner calipers, brembos, rear GM discs and calipers
.250 track bar
Aussie locked front and rear
front and rear axles rebuilt
Marlin crawler hysteer, .250 drag-tie with fj80 tres,
hydro assist with 80 series PS box
Par-desmogged stock 2f/ H41/Splitcase
Tubing front and rear, Sliders, high clearence bumper, M8000 in cab controls
CB, hand throttle
10,000 other little doodads and upgrades...

Whats sitting in the shed/ what will be in the rig in the next 2 months.
Narrowed 14 bolt, spool and 4.11 gears, discs
Toybox and rebuilt h41
Narrowed D60 with 35 chromos, new brakes, 4.11s, spool,
8" ram , hysteer , 1 ton steering
.250 drive shafts
39.5 Iroks on 17" wheels

The above plans will be done before Tellico this May with any luck. I am also enclosing the cab right behind the front seat to make it more comfortable. Down the line I will prob completely lose the rear for tube and a 1/4 elliptical..

Here is a bunch of shots my from the past and I will throw some more up later of what the rig looks like now.

Peace, Love and Chicken Grease...
-Al:beer:
FAA4.jpg
gsmtrgigcard_198.jpg
IMG_5573.jpg

Here are some super old super bad pictures of Velveeta back when it was brown...And a good shot after I two toned it. In the two tone picture I just got done making 1/8 plate rear quarter panels.
old pics.jpg
old pic 2.jpg
two toned 004.jpg

Few more for tonight...
index.jpg
Alpha Pit 7.jpg
BA%205.jpg

Wow, I wonder what the PO would think of it now. I always wondered where velveeta came from, other then the color I didnt know why you would call it that.

Last ones for tonight....
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

i have always loved velvetta wag love the chopped top to.

So i also noticed you are steppin up in tires and axles... thought u were wanting to keep all toyota stuff under her? I asume the step in axles is because of tires...

I did want to keep it all toyota. But After watching a buddy blow a chromo rear in a much lighter rig I knew they would never hold up under my heavy rig and driving style. I really wish I wasnt going to different axles but hey bobby long sells birfs for D60's.....and there friggin huge. So Ill be back to birfs some day ;)

Last edited:
the D60 bobby birfs are in a word amazing..

Chromo's and longs U joints would be cheaper and stupid strong tho..

You aint gettin a sticky till tomorrow :flipoff2:

sooo what u gonna do with your hy steer and ram assist?:grinpimp::grinpimp:

It has 7. Those where just attached to the roof on a few of them. It came with my roof rack.

Nice write-up and pictures. I might of missed it but why are you going to 4.11's?

Thats pretty hardcore.

I bet you get some interesting looks around town.

It's pretty sweet though :beer:

Nice write-up and pictures. I might of missed it but why are you going to 4.11's?

Well, I have an H41 tranny with the granny first so low diff gears are not really needed to get moving. Along with the toy box for on the rocks it will be geared low enough.

Thanks for the good words...

-Al:beer:

Wow, I wonder what the PO would think of it now. I always wondered where velveeta came from, other then the color I didnt know why you would call it that.

Haha you got me. Most of my body mods have been brought on by fixing rust and making it better for the trail. I know that is no longer looks stock, But I know I have saved this truck from rusting away. If this would have been a super clean 60 from the get go I bet it would not look anything like it does now. Even though rust for the most part is bad in this case it has kept a fire lite under my ass to fix it and upgrade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom