anyone here use an fj80 booster and MC in an fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will they fit? I'm hoping to swap out a bad booster on my 9/1975 fj40 with 4 wheel disks (MAF front/monte carlo rears).

Or is there a better booster to use? this is going to be a store bought item.. not pull a part deal. I'm open to other suggestions.

fwiw, the booster is $177 and the MC $90 from BAP.
I've seen mention of minitruck or t100 boosters... any particular year?

Yes - I have the non abs 80 series booster in my '74. Stock cruiser disk brake front axle, montecalro rear and a wilwood proportioning valve.

Works great!

I plan to do the same in my '70 project.

stock FJ40 MC or fj80 mc? Any issues with rod length?

Yes - I have the non abs 80 series booster in my '74. Stock cruiser disk brake front axle, montecalro rear and a wilwood proportioning valve.

Works great!

I put a 80 series brake MC in and it was a bolt in with no adjustments to the rod required. I am still using the original brake booster.
Engine Compartment 07.jpg

Works great!

A friend of mine has the exact same setup. Using the booster and MC from the FJ80. They work fantastic!

We had to find an aluminum spacer that goes between the firewall and booster to get the booster to clear. Most early mini trucks have this spacer.

Will they fit? I'm hoping to swap out a bad booster on my 9/1975 fj40 with 4 wheel disks (MAF front/monte carlo rears).

Or is there a better booster to use? this is going to be a store bought item.. not pull a part deal. I'm open to other suggestions.?

I used a mid-70's FJ40 booster and an early 90's FJ80 MC. I used an adapter from JT Outfitters I think (I figured even they couldn't mess up something that simple.)

It all bolted together relatively easily. I had to lengthen the rod from the booster to the pedal, and shorten the rod from the booster to the MC.

I run MAF disc up front and Monte Carlo disc in the back with no proportioning valve required. It does an awesome job stopping the LC.

My $.02.

what exactly was the booster not clearing? Is the spacer crucial? Asking because i've already ordered the fj80 BB and MC.. .and didn't order a spacer. My tech is coming to my house saturday and the spacer might not make it in time.

thanks again. Oh yeah. Is there an orientation problem with regards to the hardline for the brakes? on the photo it looks like the hardline goes straight DOWN into the MC. on my stock fj40 MC, the hardline goes SIDEWAYS into the MC.

A friend of mine has the exact same setup. Using the booster and MC from the FJ80. They work fantastic!

We had to find an aluminum spacer that goes between the firewall and booster to get the booster to clear. Most early mini trucks have this spacer.

We had clearance issues around the clutch master and the vertical rib support on the firewall that runs right next to the booster. It's a big booster!

Also, the spacer puts the rod the correct distance from the pedal.

You may get by without one depending on how things fit for you.

The MC we used had the fittings on the side. Brake lines are soft and can be bent carefully to the proper position.

With the fj80 brake booster, you're also going to have to turn it upside down so that it gets vac port closest to the firewall/intake . No big deal though.

Mounting holes should be fine.

Last edited:
thanks guys. big help, definitely.

I don't know if the spacer will show up.. so it may be the washers to do the trick,although i hate doing anything that a future owner will say "Goddamned PO! Look what he did!"

Where are you guys sourcing the 80 series MC and Boosters from? What kind of prices are seeing for each? Locally here in Central America it looks like I can find the MC but the booster is not looking hopeful. Also what is a good source for the spacer. It looks like I'm going to do this and I'd like to order it all at once.
Thanks,
John

like any other parts look in classifieds here, part outs, word of mouth, Craig's list, etc. Prices are just as variable as they depend on need, availability, etc. I called around and a regional LC shop had one being canabalized. Got it for $50. You are in a third world county so I wouldn't expect them to just fall out of trees.

Really, just about any Toyota booster will bolt right up & work. Celica, Supra, minitruck, 60-series, 80-series....broaden your search and make work whatever you find.

3802356764_4da6b729c4_m.jpg

Here's the booster and master that I installed on my '76 FJ40 with parts from a '92 non abs FJ80. I rotated the booster 180 degrees to get the mounting holes to line up and had to shorten the pedal-to-booster rod length. Works great. Don't need any kind of spacer.....I think only the earlier 40's had the rib that interfered. With the master and booster mated together, I installed the brake lines into the master cylinder and then GENTLY bent the lines and turned the assembly until the booster bolt holes lined up.

Last edited:
Nope, none at all.....

EDIT: The booster covers up the mounting bolt for the clutch MC (so I'd have to remove the booster to change it out, if needed), but the booster mounts flush and I've had absolutely no problems with it.

Here's a slightly better view:
3802357240_6b2ded16ea_m.jpg

Last edited:
Guys,

the pics are great. My tech (usually a honda/acura guy) didn't beleive me that it was possible. I quickly said "You want a photo of it done? Just check here...."

just about anything is possible for someone not afraid of trying and you should try doing this stuff yourself. Sounds like your mechanic can't think outside the box.

Fj62 booster will work also

You can also use a fj62 brake booster. just have to mount is upside down. I have been runnin one of these in my 71 fj40 for 3 years now. I used the fj62 master also.

I have a master and booster for sale if you need them. from a 1988 fj62. I think i also still have a fj80 master from a 1991 none abs.

Have a good one
Brian

hey guys, looks like i'm getting an fj80 booster and MC.

Going to do the install myself, since the tech basically took my money and dissapeared.

How do i know if i need pedal adjustment?

How do i know if i need booster rod adjustment?

Are either of these difficult?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom