JT outfitters disc brake kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you'll find less than favorable or at best mixed results with JTO. I personally had a minor issue the one time I used them. Do a search and you'll find some threads on it...

As far as front disc brakes, I would search for mini-truck/later Cruiser components. You'll get larger birfields, a non-sliding caliper (can be better in mud in particular), and I believe larger knuckle bearing caps on 79-later setups. Again a search will probably help...

Good luck.

Matt

I agree with FJ40matt, try to find used disc brake components off a later model FJ or mini truck, it's much easier to use Toyota factory parts, for maintenence issues and for overall quality.

Gus said:
I agree with FJ40matt, try to find used disc brake components off a later model FJ or mini truck, it's much easier to use Toyota factory parts, for maintenence issues and for overall quality.

I found on the local new paper a guy parting an 81 mini truck and bought the whole front axle for $100 and the rotors where in very good shape. All I had to buy after that were new pads.

- Rico.

Not used their front setup as my 79 already has disc brakes but I did get help from them on the rear conversion - worked out just great and very happy with the results. As far as JTO is concerned - I've had nothing but good luck with these guys - good prices and good products. As their business is growing from a 2-4 person shop to a much bigger endeavor over the last couple of years - many businesses suffer some growing pains and they have been no exception. I'm on east coast so nice to have someone 'local' and not have to order everything from the west coast.

My Experience with JTO is pretty mixed.
I bought SOME stuff from them that was allright.
I also bought theier PS pump mounting bracket.
PIECE OF JUNK!!!!

i STILL can't keep my trucks PS belt from Squeeling...

AS noted, swapping from the knuckle housings on out is the best deal. You can use parts from 79-85 toyota 4x4 pickup, or 81 and on cruiser-wagons included here.
I personally would not keep the minitruck non vented rotors...they're designed to work with a lighter load, but to each his own. People do it, and have few or no problems. You might wear them out sooner, or warp them with heat during heavey braking...but you might not...

Where in the Ozarks are you?

You might get the product fine from JT but it's the service afterwards that goes down the drain. I'd look around a little more.

Tigerstripe40 said:
My Experience with JTO is pretty mixed.

I've heard a lot of problems from people ordering from JT but I have ordered about 3 times from the and haven't had any issues. Things have always been delivered on time.

Just my .02.

- Rico.

crewzerdog said:
Not used their front setup as my 79 already has disc brakes but I did get help from them on the rear conversion - worked out just great and very happy with the results. As far as JTO is concerned - I've had nothing but good luck with these guys - good prices and good products. As their business is growing from a 2-4 person shop to a much bigger endeavor over the last couple of years - many businesses suffer some growing pains and they have been no exception. I'm on east coast so nice to have someone 'local' and not have to order everything from the west coast.

Doesn't matter if your local or not, I offered to drive over to his shop for Joe to correct problem.....he never showed up. Search the forums and you will see that its not "growing pains"

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=24041

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=7293

I got it , on a 70 40 . like it . drum birfs still . stops good. you get no backing plate and it reguires tossing the felt wiper ring . I will prolly get a custom axle when these brakes wear out but will keep changing birfs till then.

peesalot, is that your e-bay name also?

No, I just sold an ARB on e-bay.

bastid , I really wanted that and the fawker got me cause I fell asleep on the couch . I woulda gone higher , let me know ifin he does not pay . Got anything else. ?

I bought the Man-A-Fre disk brake kit, a bit more expensive than the JTO which has a funny looking weld seam. In the Man-A-Fre product, the pieces of the bracket are precisely bolted together. Installation was well described, and they function like brakes on a new car. Ventilated 4 piston. Well worth the upgrade. E-mail me if you have any questions. Claudia

Best disk swap IMO is from a 60/62. Basically the same swap just with vented rotors.

If you need help looking for a set of OE disks let me know I have a few.

Mark

I have installed the JTO front disk brake conversion in my 76 HJ-45 pickup truck. The product works great and the install went fairly smoothly. I am very happy with the product. Because I have a full-floater rear axle, I don't believe that I can install the JTO or MAF rear disk conversion. I wish I could; however, I would more than likely have to purchase and install an entire non-USA axle. That could get pricey.

I have not bought anything else from JTO; therefore, I can't make any comment regarding other sales or service, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom