Zipping sound under acceleration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting. I'll check those out. The sound is not a howling. More like a goose honk. Exclusively limited to acceleration, usually uphill or from stop. Generally in short bursts. Goes away if I back off the throttle and usually doesn't come back when I give it more.

I've generally had the same symptoms. It's worse when the weather is cold and always seems to occur accelerating briskly during a right-hand turn. I'm thinking it might be the splines in the slip-yoke on the front drive shaft as it doesn't happen with the front drive shaft removed. I've ruled out the drive flanges.

I have had a zipping sound since I got mine 4 years ago. I just rebuilt my steering box and used Mobile DTE 24. once I get it back together I'll report my findings.

After a couple month hiatus the sound is back! Lame! It definitely is not happening as often and almost seems deeper now. Is there some way to put a microphone on specific vehicle parts while driving? I don't see how else I'm going to narrow this thing down.

Dude,

Spring is coming, chill out and enjoy the sound. We all have the "sound"! Calm that OCD down a tad, grab a hit from the bong, LOL!!!

Dude,

Spring is coming, chill out and enjoy the sound. We all have the "sound"! Calm that OCD down a tad, grab a hit from the bong, LOL!!!

Or turn the stereo up louder :cool:

Ha, if work would allow it I probably would. I didn't know anyone else had this issue until the last couple posts.

This is not exhaust whistle by the way.

Ha, if work would allow it I probably would. I didn't know anyone else had this issue until the last couple posts.

This is not exhaust whistle by the way.

CO companies need to get on board with the whole pot thing, but I digress. Yes, most of us in the colder climate have this issue. Admittedly, I haven't heard mine a whole bunch this winter season but I work from home so she doesn't get started very often at O'dark thirty butt crack early in the morning either!

I've generally had the same symptoms. It's worse when the weather is cold and always seems to occur accelerating briskly during a right-hand turn. I'm thinking it might be the splines in the slip-yoke on the front drive shaft as it doesn't happen with the front drive shaft removed. I've ruled out the drive flanges.

If it starts happening alot I may try removing the front DS to see if that stops it. Some threads I've seen indicate may be a dry spindle bushing but I overhauled my axle about 3k ago and put in new spindles with needle bearings instead of bushings so I doubt that's it.

My guess would be intake pipe related

Mine is new and clamped right too.

It did it a bunch of times today on the way home. It seems to be correlated to warm weather not cold weather as many report.

When I stated cold weather it meant under 50 not the 90+ of summer time.

can't believe no one thought of suggesting an Exhaust Leak.

After rewatching the video I hear it better now. Do you have a vibration in the cab? When this happens put your hand on the transfercase shift knob. Do you feel the vibration there? To me I would think its a bearing in the T-Case.

I have a bad bearing in mine and it makes a low hum and a vibration when I let off the gas.

Last edited:
Guys,

The zipping sound occurs when starting the engine during colder winter months. How can this be related to intake, exhaust or spindle bearings? LOL!!!

Guys,

The zipping sound occurs when starting the engine during colder winter months. How can this be related to intake, exhaust or spindle bearings? LOL!!!

I'm not talking about belt slip or power steering pump noise that occurs when starting the engine in cold weather. I used to have that, but I refreshed my power steering system and now it's gone. It does sound similar to that. Almost like a lower pitch pump whine.

can't believe no one thought of suggesting an Exhaust Leak.
After rewatching the video I hear it better now. Do you have a vibration in the cab? When this happens put your hand on the transfercase shift knob. Do you feel the vibration there? To me I would think its a bearing in the T-Case.
I have a bad bearing in mine and it makes a low hum and a vibration when I let off the gas.

It's not a strong vibration, but I can feel it in the gas pedal. I have not tried putting my hand on the transfer case shifter, I will try that. Definitely never happens slowing down or letting off the gas. Only under acceleration. I haven't found any exhaust leaks, but I do have a nice exhaust whistle at higher RPM. That's very consistent, and separate from this sound.

Oh, got it. I was mistaken then!

I installed a transgo reprogramming kit in my valve body and this problem seems to have gone away. So, it was something transmission related, but not exactly clear what. I replaced the solenoid and accumulator o-rings too as well as cleaned out a bunch of black gunk from the pan. No clue what did it but freshening up the tranny a bit did the trick.

I just pulled my clutch fan to tune it and swap the oil and when I bolted the shroud back together, the lower passenger side didn't engage the little clip/rest/retainer thing so the tip of the fan would rub the shroud at the BOTTOM of the fan. It was very intermittent as it just barely scraped under certain throttle positions. It was fluke but after a day of head scratching, it took about 2 min to fix.

I also have one other strange groan/honk that arrived with my White Knuckle sliders. The vertial orientation of the cats on my 97 LX place the rib joint of the outer shell about 1/8" from the slider. But, that clearance goes away as I throttle just off idle. The cat itself contacts the slider and that's with new exhaust hangers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom