Zero Rust or POR 15 ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Okay I have to say I like POR 15 and have used it before but the price is the killer when a quart of Zero Rust AR-62 BLACK is $24.00 vs $50 on the POR 15.
So with that said I am willing to try it out but need some info from you folks that have use this product before.
What I and wanting to do is paint my-bear metal FJ45 steel cab roof (inside and out) with Zero Rust. The roof has some small spots of rust that had been blasted but I want to stop any rust from re-forming especially in the rain gutter area.
Then I want to paint the top epoxy white.

Question's:

Is Zero Rust considered a Paint or a Primer that can be painted?

If I use a quart can, can I brush it on instead of spray it on. The POR 15 can be brushed on and will flow to a smooth flat finish when dry, will Zero Rust do this?

Would the aerosol can be a better way to go for the size of the item to be painted?

When dry, what kind of top cote is to be applied or can a self etching primer be used before painting white or ? This is my biggest question.

Of course I want a nice smooth finish when done, but as stated I also want to fight off any possibilities of rust coming back. I also am planing on doing the inner LWB wheel wells and front inner fenders in the same manner but without applying any other paints, just Zero Rust.

Any info is welcome. Thanks in advance.

:cheers:
_9263255.jpg

i used POR 15 on my fj40, i rolled it on, and its a good self leveling paint,and it turned out well, but i would do a clear coat over it or something of that nature because even in oregon the UV gets to the paint and it becomes ashy and will come off with your hand.

dc6cb29b.jpg

I've used the Chassis Saver from Monstaliner and it is very good stuff. Not sure how the cost compares.

Zero Rust

Okay remember that this Zero rust is to be used on the roof of the 45 not the frame.
Now I did see that ZR has a clear coat aerosol/can that can be applied to fight off the UV problems after application and they do have 12oz can's of white ZR aerosol that would put the hood closer to what Toyota did from the factory.
So has anyone used this product in this type of application as in hood, roof, running boards and so on?

Thanks

Why don't you just use PPG epoxy primer then top coat it and be done with it. The more I use epoxy primer the more I like it better than POR-15. It does not let rust back...ever!

ZR

snobdds, I most likely will go with an epoxy primer as this ZR has some draw backs in capabilities with certain top coats and paints. It looks good if one were just doing bear metal like a frame, but not looking good as to be used as a viewed paint on a exterior roof.

Thanks

Zero Rust is a rust inhibiting primer, no need to prime before painting. Thickness of aggregate coats is important for effectiveness. I've never rolled or brushed it, but have sprayed it on several projects including a frame, bare metal interior floor pans and numerous smaller parts. Works well and I have no complaints. Seems to be effective and is easy to work with.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with epoxy primer....

You can brush or roll on epoxy primer and it will go on pretty smooth. I've rolled some on my frame with good results. Looks great after top coating it with spray can chassis paint. SPI has a white epoxy primer that's around $60 for a half gallon, shipped.

Why don't you just use PPG epoxy primer then top coat it and be done with it. The more I use epoxy primer the more I like it better than POR-15. It does not let rust back...ever!

Exactly.

It looks like that panel in the picture is down to bare metal. NOTHING will outperform a good quality, properly applied epoxy primer on bare steel. Especially not POR-15. POR-15 is intended to be an easy fix over rust.

Zero Rust is a rust inhibiting primer, no need to prime before painting. Thickness of aggregate coats is important for effectiveness. I've never rolled or brushed it, but have sprayed it on several projects including a frame, bare metal interior floor pans and numerous smaller parts. Works well and I have no complaints. Seems to be effective and is easy to work with.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with epoxy primer....

All primers inhibit rust.

All primers inhibit rust.

Going to have to disagree with you there on the basis of slightly misleading.....;)

A primer's main purpose is in preparing the substrate for paint.

Anti-corrosive and sealing primers such as the 2K epoxy mentioned above offer great protection in bare metal applications.

Primers such as poly high build, lacquer, and urethane offer much less corrosion resistance and if used on bare metal, must be top coated in a timely manner, especially in high humidity or if out in the elements, to prevent oxidizing the metal underneath. Although, these primers are often used over an anti-corrosive primer, a person may not do so if he thinks all primers inhibit rust.

I've known a few people who left repairs or panels in primer thinking they were protected, only to have issues later as a result.

I've got limited painting experience, but a buddy of mine has got quite a bit and this is what I've learned from him.

Just trying to be helpful and accurate.....

Going to have to disagree with you there on the basis of slightly misleading.....;)

A primer's main purpose is in preparing the substrate for paint.

Anti-corrosive and sealing primers such as the 2K epoxy mentioned above offer great protection in bare metal applications.

Primers such as poly high build, lacquer, and urethane offer much less corrosion resistance and if used on bare metal, must be top coated in a timely manner, especially in high humidity or if out in the elements, to prevent oxidizing the metal underneath. Although, these primers are often used over an anti-corrosive primer, a person may not do so if he thinks all primers inhibit rust.

I've known a few people who left repairs or panels in primer thinking they were protected, only to have issues later as a result.

I've got limited painting experience, but a buddy of mine has got quite a bit and this is what I've learned from him.

Just trying to be helpful and accurate.....

You missed my point entirely.

My point was that all primers DO inhibit rust. But are not necessarily the best coatings for inhibiting rust. Don't believe the hype that company X is telling you when they call their primer a rust inhibitor. Again, since all primers do inhibit rust. The only primers that will PREVENT rust are epoxy primers applied over a properly prepared surface.

You missed my point entirely.

My point was that all primers DO inhibit rust. But are not necessarily the best coatings for inhibiting rust. Don't believe the hype that company X is telling you when they call their primer a rust inhibitor. Again, since all primers do inhibit rust. The only primers that will PREVENT rust are epoxy primers applied over a properly prepared surface.

Chemistry definition of Inhibit: to STOP or DECREASE the progression rate of a chemical reaction.

A porous primer does absolutely nothing to inhibit rust, it readily allows moisture penetration, allowing the metal under the primer to corrode unimpeded. In addition, it can accelerate corrosion by holding moisture against the metal. Therefore, not all primers are rust inhibiting.

No primer will 'PREVENT' rust. 2K epoxy primers and self-etching primers have exceptional adhesion and corrosion RESISTANCE properties as well as Enamel primers to a lesser extent.

At least it seems we agree that epoxy primer is the best for priming bare metal.

I am capable of reading between the 'marketing' lines. Thanks though...

All primers decrease the corrosion rate. Prime one piece of steel and leave one bare. Place them both outside for a while. Which one will have more corrosion?

You seem to have taken offense to my post. I wasn't trying to be offensive.

All primers decrease the corrosion rate. Prime one piece of steel and leave one bare. Place them both outside for a while. Which one will have more corrosion?

You seem to have taken offense to my post. I wasn't trying to be offensive.

No offense taken. I understand what you're saying. I still think a panel with a porous primer holding moisture against the metal is not inhibiting rust but accelerating it. I've seen it happen...

The scenario you proposed with the pieces of steel, in my opinion, would not necessarily end with more corrosion on the unprimed piece. The bare piece would result in surface rust while the primed piece would rust unnoticed but would result in more extensive pitted corrosion b/c of the extended moisture contact.

I'm stubborn, don't mind me....drives my wife nuts! I guess I'll concede now....no sense in splitting hairs. Enjoyed the exchange, though....

Be well....

Use Rust Bullet. Tried POR 15 and Zero Rust. Like Zero Rust for areas I need to spray but POR15 is way overrated. Like every other thought here this is just an opinion but based on hands on experience.

Not really sure what that is, but when you own Landcruisers you need to be willing to try anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom