Your very first auto was a ...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
What was your very first auto you purchased. Not the one your parents bought you the one you found and purchased on your own.

Mine - 1964 Ford Galaxy 500 convertible....Green with a few scrapes of the white top remaining. With a big block and bald tires it could really light them up.:hillbilly: Total cost $75, purchased when I was 15 sold before I was 16
thumb.gif

It was a 1973 Chevy Vega GT that I purchased for $65.00! It was yellow with black highlights. The aluminum engine was of course no good and we towed it home. Dad and I rebuilt the engine with steel sleeved Vega block (they didnt know how to build aluminum blocks back then i guess). This lasted about a year and a half until my oil level sensor failed, ran too low on oil, and I threw a rod through the side of the block on the way home from Saguaro lake with some friends.

We then dropped in a 231 Buick V6 in our garage with custom mounts, a larger radiator from a Chevy Monza, also stiffer coil springs (with a turn and a half of coil cut off) out of the same V8 Monza. Had to "reshape" a little of the firewall for clearance and modify the steering linkage a little to clear the new oil pan. Threw on some fancy Moroso valve covers and air filter housing :grinpimp: too!

I ended up tinting the windows (no AC!), reupholstering the interior, raised the back of the car with coil over shocks to match the higher front - kinda the highboy look, and put larger BFG TA's from Lopers on it all around.

For a Vega it was pretty :cool: or at least I felt it was. I ended up installing a Pioneer component sound system that was my pride and joy. That stereo was the shiznit!

I was one of the first of my friends to drive and have thier own car so we traveled around packed in my car all the time. It was affectionatly called the "Murfmobile" by all my pals :D

I kept if for about three years then bought a Jeep CJ7 (with No A/C again - what was I thinking!?) and kept that for 7 years.

Countless good times!

1993 Jeep Wrangler S, black, 2.5L beast, 2.5" lift on 31" BFG All Terrains w/ a gnarly 2 chamber Flowmaster. Took me through 4 years of ASU driving daily from Pinnacle Peak/Pima w/ no A/C...

Looked exactly like this
14641_1273239228835_1804453_n.jpg

Last edited:
1982 Toyota Supra P-type, 5 speed, black. Tons of fun! I'd love to have another one.

My granddad bought me a 1983 Ford Ranger 4x4 POS...but that one really doesn't count per the rules!

The first car I bought was a 1989 Toyota 4runner. Bought it from grandma when she blew a head gasket after driving for 300 miles with a cracked timing chain cover.

Threw a new engine in it....had the transmission rebuilt and she was on the road again! I was working in a body shop at the time so I used the shop to do a custom paint job and had a friend redo the interior....about 2k in stereo equipment and that was the coolest 4x4 in town.

Tragically it met its end on Avra Valley road when a commercial panel truck ran a stop sign and hit me in the driver side door. I walked away but the runner wasn't much more than a skid mark.

Great Truck and started me on the pathway to my first cruiser.

Oooo fun! I'll play!
Pics or it didn't happen right? :p

My 3rd car, 1st on my dime. 1969 Charger. Stuffed with the Colo State patrol interceptor drivetrain from my 2nd car. Later topped with a factory 6 pack.

A very dangerous automobile in the wrong hands. (teenage male numbskull) Enough fun to finish off my license for the 1st time. Good Times! :D Gas was 50c and me and my buddies still couldn't afford to feed it much.

69parkedsmall.jpg

69garagesmall.jpg

1968 Ford Torino GT Fastback for a very sort time. Then a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am.

My sisters first car was a much cooler 1969 Pontiac formula firebird with the 400-350 combo. White with a dark green vinyl top.
Mom had a 1993 Firebrid

Little sis had a 1981 Firebird - it was a POS

My sisters first car was a much cooler 1969 Pontiac formula firebird with the 400-350 combo. White with a dark green vinyl top.
Mom had a 1993 Firebrid

Little sis had a 1981 Firebird - it was a POS

I came home from the hospital in my Dad's olive green '69 Firebird 400. :cool:

He had a '95 T-Tops LT1 6 speed car...that was a fun one!

1976 Honda Civic CVCC. Gold color., manual clutch. One of my favorites ever. Never failed to start in -25 Deg F Chicago Winters. I loved that car. Cost me $1, bought it from my parents cause they would not 'give' it to me. Gave it to my brother when I went off to boot camp for the AirForce, yes it cost him a buck too.

1984 Toyota Celica GT, 5 spd, sunroof, loaded, even had flip up headlights. Coolest car in the world in my mind at the time.

First up was a 1972 Charger, 340 4-speed, followed by a 1972 Trans Am, one of 1284 made in '72. The T/A I sold to a friend who later sold it to a collector in Portland. About two years ago, I got a call from a guy in Florida who had just purchased it from the estate of a collector in Vegas. He found an insurance card with my name on it and thanks to the net, tracked me down. The pics are of the car when he picked it up.

1972 Dodge Charger.jpg

1972 TA2.jpg

1972 TA.jpg

a VW Passat, forgot the exact year (think it was 1981 or 82) - this style

Volkswagen_B2_Passat_Bielefeld.jpg

5 cylinders; 2.2 liters; 4+E (Formel E) - max. speed somewhere around 230 kmh downhill (VR tires required) :cool: - 28 mpg or so at ~75mph steady (which I didn't stick to all that often :eek:) - it was some sort of re-import from Belgium (I don't recall the details anymore; did lower the price :)) and when I got it, the new motor had 8000 km on it (rest of the car was more like 120,000 km at the time; seller said something had blown up :meh: nevermind the entire exhaust needed to be replaced a month later) - I loved that car, but I only got to own it for, like, 2.5 years before moving to the US :frown: - I'd buy it again in a heartbeat; prone to rust easily, though :frown:

color was eggshell

I had seen the newspaper advertisement and discussed it briefly with my coworkers at lunch, being concerned whether it was too big of a car, when someone said "if you want a really good motor, that would be it" - wondering what that meant in the context of the first engine having blown up, I was less than convinced, though . . . which helped to negotiate the seller down; has-been husband wasn't all too gung-ho anyway, so having him mope about during the discussions lowered the price even more :hillbilly: hey, I needed every break I could, I was a poor graduate student then living on a half-orphan allowance from the German government :flamingo:

Last edited:
92 FJ80

1967 Chevy Chevelle
5.13 posi 12 bolt narrowed
327 w/462 heads
4 barrel Eldelbrock carb
Eldelbrock high rise intake
Headers
HEI distributor
400 turbo tranny
Hurst competition shifter
Diamond tuck interior
Cragar mag wheels
Rattle can paint

How about a 1937 Chevy Master. No I'm not THAT old. It was an old car when I bought it in High School. Wish I had it back. :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom