Yet another brake booster question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

Which to choose?

My brakes in my HJ61 are bad, and I've just ordered a new master.

But having searched here, I've learned that upgrading the booster will yield a noticeable improvement.

I have also learned that a 4runner booster is the preferred choice, however we did not get a lot of those over here, so finding one at a scrapyard is not an option, so Ebay may be my friend.

I have searched and found several, but I can't discern the differences, neither here on MUD, or the web in general.

Q1: The general concensus seems to be that the 4runner, the T100 and the 80 series are better than original, but which is best?

Q2: If the 4runner is the best, it seems that there are differences not only in years, but also wether it is a diesel, or gas truck, anyone who knows which performs best?

The 4runner looks like this in the US:
$T2eC16V,!zEFIfZjZRJ2BSK!HJqs1g~~60_57.jpg
And like this here:
$(KGrHqV,!oME-9i9IqLbBP0Gu7K3cg~~60_12.jpg

Notice the difference in contour.

Anyone who knows what I should choose?

$(KGrHqR,!qwE+nTwyO3OBQDR05dtI!~~60_12.jpg

$T2eC16V,!zEFIfZjZRJ2BSK!HJqs1g~~60_14.jpg

$T2eC16V,!zEFIfZjZRJ2BSK!HJqs1g~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!oME-9i9IqLbBP0Gu7K3cg~~60_12.jpg

A good diaphragm, upgraded brake booster (I have one from a T100), and 4Runner calipers will go a long way to helping your lack of braking power. Making sure your LSPV is adjusted properly is also a concern. I manually zip tied mine up providing maximum braking to the rear all the time. I am a special case though as I have rear disk brakes from a Chevy T100 and my front disks are quad piston SSBC's.

I also forgot to add; a Ø1 inch master cylinder will have more volume of fluid than your stock Ø7/8 inch. I picked one off the T100 when I grabbed the new diaphragm.

Thanks guys!

I have done my search, so I'm all up-to-date on S13WB calipers, bore size on master, etc., the issue is that I can get the diesel one at a fraction of the cost from UK, but do not know if it is up to snuff?

I've read that the mechanical vacuum pump on the generator actually yeilds more vacuum, than the intake vacuum on a gasser, which goes against using a gase booster if more assist is the wish, but I do not know if this is true?

Call specter offroad (SOR.com). They know the nuances between the gas and diesel variations well.

dunno if helps but I used to have 80 series brake booster with MC in Tencha and that was good ( along with SW13 calipers ) up to 37" tires ...

Thanks guys!

I just changed the booster on my hj 61 and I am very happy with the result.
I live in France and have ordered it from the US and it was shipped to me in about 2 weeks.
Total cost under 200 Euro.
I bought it from them:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cardone-Indu...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b9880a74

Look at this tread
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/761925-4runner-brake-booster.html

Paul, is your HJ61 a manual? does the booster clear the booster on the clutch?

Yes its a manual and it fits perfect.you just have to put a longer vacuum hose and your cruiser brakes like a modern car.
In the beginning you you might brake a bit to hard but you get used to it very fast.

P1010694.jpg

Thanks for the pic Paul, but you don't have the clutch booster I see, I'll upload a pic of it shortly.

Thanks for the pic Paul, but you don't have the clutch booster I see, I'll upload a pic of it shortly.

no space due to your clutch booster .. easy solution, get rid of it .. :D

no space due to your clutch booster .. easy solution, get rid of it .. :D

You must be mad Tapage;p NEVER! I have 45km's to my job, all in heavy traffic, i absolutely LOVE the clutch booster! :steer:

I drove hj 61 with and without clutch booster and I dit not feel a difference.
Even my wife with 165 cm and 50kg never had a problem with the clutch without the booster, but she had a problem with the brakes before installing the 4 runner booster.

I drove hj 61 with and without clutch booster and I dit not feel a difference.
Even my wife with 165 cm and 50kg never had a problem with the clutch without the booster, but she had a problem with the brakes before installing the 4 runner booster.

If that's the case, your booster was faulty, in mine the difference is night and day! With the booster on, the clutch is as soft as in any new car?!?

You must be mad Tapage;p NEVER! I have 45km's to my job, all in heavy traffic, i absolutely LOVE the clutch booster! :steer:

Tencha came from Arakawa with clutch booster too .. I replace it with a mini ( Hi Lux ) clutch cilinder without booster and it's softer than my boosted OEM clutch.

Tencha came from Arakawa with clutch booster too .. I replace it with a mini ( Hi Lux ) clutch cilinder without booster and it's softer than my boosted OEM clutch.

I love Tencha :) but weird, having owned/owning both HJ60's, 61,s, HJ45 and BJ42's, I'm mystified... The softest clutch by far is in my HJ61, I even plan on putting a booster in my HJ45... I have worn out knees, and the booster really helps in que traffic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom