XM Radio with poor reception (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's cutting out in the same spot everyday on your drive because you are losing reception. There is probably a hill, building, tree, or some other landmark blocking your signal

sirius has 2 satellites so they have better more coverage

If you move it to the roof, your ability to pick up the reception will improve, but if something is blocking your path to the satellite, it will cut out

It's cutting out in the same spot everyday on your drive because you are losing reception. There is probably a hill, building, tree, or some other landmark blocking your signal

sirius has 2 satellites so they have better more coverage

If you move it to the roof, your ability to pick up the reception will improve, but if something is blocking your path to the satellite, it will cut out

Yep. But my reception is generally crappy. I don't live in a mountain area or in downtown. Typical suburbs.

If the antenna is known to be good and youre having this issue you need to get the antenna on top of your rig - plain and simple.

I tried to cut corners and have my antenna in the truck... Bad idea. My reception went from s***e to awesome simply by putting the antenna where I knew it should be... on the roof. As I stated earlier that's the design of this type of antenna.

Mine is mounted in front of the hatch... the black you see in the lower part of the image is the rear wind deflector.

IMG_0125.jpg

I routed the wire into rubber grommet and ran it down the headliner to the area where the jack is, where my XM tuner is located.

IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg

If the antenna is known to be good and youre having this issue you need to get the antenna on top of your rig - plain and simple.

I tried to cut corners and have my antenna in the truck... Bad idea. My reception went from s***e to awesome simply by putting the antenna where I knew it should be... on the roof. As I stated earlier that's the design of this type of antenna.

Mine is mounted in front of the hatch... the black you see in the lower part of the image is the rear wind deflector.

View attachment 534310

I routed the wire into rubber grommet and ran it down the headliner to the area where the jack is, where my XM tuner is located.

View attachment 534311

How hard is it to get the headliner out and does it break off clips when you do?

Is there a way to get it up the front of the truck?

The clips don't break (unless you try). These trucks are built like lego's.

As I said mine runs to where the jack is but the tuner to head unit cable runs all the way to the front... That cable is routed via the cable channel that runs on the floor on each aide of the car. YOu will need to remove each of the pastic door sill plates and the cargo area side panel. There are a few write ups on the Mud about it.

Before any of this happens I would stick the antenna on the roof and just run the wire through a window or what not to test your reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom