Builds Wyoming HE Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kaon shock skids did not hold up as well as I'd hoped. Here is the before and after. A difficult stretch on Elephant Hill in Canyonlands destroyed both sides. Glad I had them, they did their job but I may be looking for some BudBuilt replacements.

View attachment 3613661View attachment 3613656

I just destroyed a set of Kaon Shock guards this weekend, first trip with them on actually...
Not HD at all, fine for overlanding but not for anything with a Rock around to possibly hit them.

Last edited:
I just destroyed a set of Kaon Shock guards this weekend, first trip with them on actually...
Not HD at all, fine for overlanding but not for anything with a Rock around to possibly hit them.
Ha Ha, first trip for me too. These were not designed for Moab 😂

Same here. I "use" my rig but this happened on an after trail of last years LCDC in a mud hole I followed others through without checking to see what was below the surface. Large rock/boulder others missed. I also sheared a nut off the UCA bolt someway somehow. IMO, the BB guard did its job taking the brunt of the damage and giving way before any major component damage.

now for the mudhole...I'll be checking those a bit before going through. Lol
So does that bud built shock skid mount on the shock bolt? Looks like from the pictures on their website it mounts on the shock bolt with a tab on the inside of the slider, then a bolt on either side. Not sure I'm crazy about it mounting to the shock - If that is indeed how it mounts.

So does that bud built shock skid mount on the shock bolt? Looks like from the pictures on their website it mounts on the shock bolt with a tab on the inside of the slider, then a bolt on either side. Not sure I'm crazy about it mounting to the shock - If that is indeed how it mounts.
Yeah it utilizes the existing bolt locations. There have been discussions about different mounting options but from my experience the pluses outweigh the negatives.

Like others mine is not a rock crawler rig; run 33" tires but haven't avoided the "rocky" trails in the popular states. Probably cause I dont know what i dont know. Lol. Ive run the steel BB armor nose to tail for 5 years now and recommend them. A ton of R&D has gone into his products.

Here's a shot of how the Trail Tailor version attaches, there is a bolt thru that hole in the front as well as the one higher up that can be seen

A8081174-0DFE-4D63-849E-0877BE9036C3.jpeg

Yeah it utilizes the existing bolt locations. There have been discussions about different mounting options but from my experience the pluses outweigh the negatives.

Like others mine is not a rock crawler rig; run 33" tires but haven't avoided the "rocky" trails in the popular states. Probably cause I dont know what i dont know. Lol. Ive run the steel BB armor nose to tail for 5 years now and recommend them. A ton of R&D has gone into his products.
Ok, so looks like on yours that shock mount tab broke and peeled the guard back? Yeah mine is not a rock crawler rig either, but to be honest it has easily crawled up stuff I wouldn't have considered previously - which makes me less worried about crawling up more stuff in the future, lol. But of course I want to protect it with armor in the vulnerable spots. The more I get the 200 out on adventures the more I love it for it's capability and comfort.

Here's a shot of how the Trail Tailor version attaches, there is a bolt thru that hole in the front as well as the one higher up that can be seen

View attachment 3615268
thanks for this. I had read somewhere the trail tailor skids require self tapping? Looks from your picture like they use exiting holes to mount.

Ok, so looks like on yours that shock mount tab broke and peeled the guard back? Yeah mine is not a rock crawler rig either, but to be honest it has easily crawled up stuff I wouldn't have considered previously - which makes me less worried about crawling up more stuff in the future, lol. But of course I want to protect it with armor in the vulnerable spots. The more I get the 200 out on adventures the more I love it for it's capability and comfort.
Yep that's what it did...I hit mud hole/destructor object at about 10 to 15 mph, loud bang, shudder from front right then left rear, abrupt deceleration. Lol. Brunt of strike was on the weld which broke and then it just peeled it back.
It was that wrong speed, wrong place hit. Buuttt I'm soooo glad I had the armor. I'll be installing the replacement before heading up to Montana and this year's LCDC.

Heard good things about Trail Tailors version as well. I think you can't go wrong with either BB or TT.

thanks for this. I had read somewhere the trail tailor skids require self tapping? Looks from your picture like they use exiting holes to mount.
The TT parts for the rlca front mount requires drilling the mount and putting in some self tappers. I have those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom